The Cavaliers 2022

9 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Interesting point on spoilers...just like 2019, when you see the Finals Show, there are MAJOR differences from their first night in Fresno in 2019. Same is coming here...I've got it on really good authority that will certainly remain unnamed. Point being...when the season is over...if you'd like me to send you files from through the season, I will...because what they're doing now won't all be there come Indy...and what they do in Indy ain't all happening now... 🙂 

I believe it. They have a plan and I trust them. All of us on DCP aren't at rehearsals to see what they're planning. I would rather have cavies jump up in scores and placements towards the end of the Texas tour and shock lots of folks. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Brass is great playing, but the writing seems dense to me.  Sadly, I need to process the show, and maybe it will grow on me more over time. 2019 was such a masterpiece, and this show doesn't speak to me nearly as much, so...

I think you are hitting on the thing that I feel needs tweaked. The corps has a high level of talent. The performers are outstanding. I don't think the smaller guard will hurt them providing they get things cleaned. They can play and drum very well. The brass have some super tough passages in the show. The visual program likely only needs a few tweaks, just like every other corps out there. And they are scoring quite well. 

The thing that has left me somewhat cold is the music book itself (not the players). The only musical moments that I really remember are the Bach theme being interspersed throughout the show, and I think they need to bring more of the other themes to the forefront. It needs clarity and thematic build that is obvious to the listener. That is a fixable issue because with the quality of musicians they have it may amount to some minor tweaks of the book. I don't think they need major rewrites, and certainly not of the drill. The visual program they have will sparkle more when cleaned and I'm sure they will adjust a few things. But the music feels cluttered and not focused. Let's see where they go with it. They have the players to make this happen. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I think you are hitting on the thing that I feel needs tweaked. The corps has a high level of talent. The performers are outstanding. I don't think the smaller guard will hurt them providing they get things cleaned. They can play and drum very well. The brass have some super tough passages in the show. The visual program likely only needs a few tweaks, just like every other corps out there. And they are scoring quite well. 

The thing that has left me somewhat cold is the music book itself (not the players). The only musical moments that I really remember are the Bach theme being interspersed throughout the show, and I think they need to bring more of the other themes to the forefront. It needs clarity and thematic build that is obvious to the listener. That is a fixable issue because with the quality of musicians they have it may amount to some minor tweaks of the book. I don't think they need major rewrites, and certainly not of the drill. The visual program they have will sparkle more when cleaned and I'm sure they will adjust a few things. But the music feels cluttered and not focused. Let's see where they go with it. They have the players to make this happen. 

If you watch the first 5-6 shows from 2019, this is exactly what happened with that show. The opener had a technical brass section that was completely rewritten and installed prior to San Antonio if not before. There were several other rewrites if I remember correctly, but i KNOW that the opener when the whole brass line was left of 50 in front of that "train car" ( or whatever it was) had a complete rewrite. 

I've gotten to not really "know" personally, but be around this staff and the decisions they've made since they came over in 2018. I fully trust that Cavaliers will be slinging it out in that 4-5-6 slotting come August. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

If you watch the first 5-6 shows from 2019, this is exactly what happened with that show. The opener had a technical brass section that was completely rewritten and installed prior to San Antonio if not before. There were several other rewrites if I remember correctly, but i KNOW that the opener when the whole brass line was left of 50 in front of that "train car" ( or whatever it was) had a complete rewrite. 

I've gotten to not really "know" personally, but be around this staff and the decisions they've made since they came over in 2018. I fully trust that Cavaliers will be slinging it out in that 4-5-6 slotting come August. 

I agree. They have the musical talent to make adjustments in the brass and percussion book to make the show pop a bit more. 

10 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I trust that the Cavaliers will be in one of those positions too.

I love my corps. I want them to move up the ladder, and 2019 was a great start.

Edited by jjeffeory
Grammar!
  • Like 1

I base the Cavies rise solely on their starting point and the first 2 weeks succession...From my point of view the show has the complexity to rise dramatically. Whether they do that or not depends on the next week in my opinion.  Only a few corps have been able to pile it on in time to win finals.  I'm hoping for the best.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

I base the Cavies rise solely on their starting point and the first 2 weeks succession...From my point of view the show has the complexity to rise dramatically. Whether they do that or not depends on the next week in my opinion.  Only a few corps have been able to pile it on in time to win finals.  I'm hoping for the best.

I agree that the next week or so is important. I've traveled with the Corps every year since 2017 so I'll also say that for whatever reason, they traditionally seem to start pouring it on in the week between San Antonio and Atlanta. But quite frankly, so does everyone else that still has designs on "not getting slotted". We'll have to see which is what makes it fun. One thing I learned that very first 2017 season.... Never, ever, count these guys out. Ask the 2017 Bluecoats. 🙂 Or the 2016 Cadets. Or the 2019 Crusaders. You get the point. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I agree that the next week or so is important. I've traveled with the Corps every year since 2017 so I'll also say that for whatever reason, they traditionally seem to start pouring it on in the week between San Antonio and Atlanta. But quite frankly, so does everyone else that still has designs on "not getting slotted". We'll have to see which is what makes it fun. One thing I learned that very first 2017 season.... Never, ever, count these guys out. Ask the 2017 Bluecoats. 🙂 Or the 2016 Cadets. Or the 2019 Crusaders. You get the point. 🙂

I'm looking forward to the day where they start out in top 4 form and then pour it on more as time goes on.

2019 was incredible for me. That was the Cavalier show of the latter part of the decade and up there with 2010 and 2011 for me.

I will try to enjoy the ride this year though.

28 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm looking forward to the day where they start out in top 4 form and then pour it on more as time goes on.

2019 was incredible for me. That was the Cavalier show of the latter part of the decade and up there with 2010 and 2011 for me.

I will try to enjoy the ride this year though.

Agreed. I’m thinking a few changes need to be made in the design team/design formula  and educational staff for this to happen. 

Very happy with the brass team especially Kevin LeBoeuf… he’s an amazing young educator and incredibly talented. They need to do whatever it takes to keep him. His passion for the activity is obvious.

Also Mac’s drum lines are consistently top notch.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Agreed. I’m thinking a few changes need to be made in the design team/design formula  and educational staff for this to happen. 

Very happy with the brass team especially Kevin LeBoeuf… he’s an amazing young educator and incredibly talented. They need to do whatever it takes to keep him. His passion for the activity is obvious.

Also Mac’s drum lines are consistently top notch.

Yes! Those two sections are top notch! 

• Like 1