The Cavaliers 2022

IMO the increase in maximum membership has affected the entire activity. Talent moves up and the rest are left with what’s left, and the pool of talent was already thin and not very deep before the Pandemic. The cost of participating is another factor for families to consider with the economic crisis we’re all forced to deal with  

Also, take in consideration the number of guard members there are now in comparison to years past, along with the inclusion of multiple gender identities, and there is a greater differential between the haves and the have not’s. 

The Cavaliers chose to be defined by their all male status. Perhaps that’s in play too. Either way I’m convinced the organization will not allow a difficult start to the season to determine their final placement or success. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

I don’t get why everyone keeps talking about the guard size. They have 32. I’m counting 40 with BD and others even smaller. The 8 guard members aren’t changing the scores .

there’s 5 weeks left till Indy. I’m going to wait on any doom and gloom until Allentown if it’s needed. I’ve seen corps, including the Cavaliers (2011), the Cadets many years, out of the gate clean as all and drop 2 or 3 spots come finals. I’ve also seen corps start the season in 5th and finish in the top two. There’s a lot of season left.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They could not recruit a full guard of 45 this year--I don't ever remember that being a problem. Going co-ed would be the sensible thing to do in 2023.  Young kids today don't particularly care about marching in an all-male corps. Those days are past. The last all-girl corps--the Bandettes--folded 20 years ago.  Madison made a smart decision to go co-ed last year. It will pay off next year, when they should get back into finals. (If not this year). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I don’t get why everyone keeps talking about the guard size. They have 32. I’m counting 40 with BD and others even smaller. The 8 guard members aren’t changing the scores 

I'm no judge, but for me personally, it's a visual thing. I love a big guard and what it adds. 8 bodies might make a difference just in the wow factor (not an actual sub-caption on the sheets as far as I know). But, I understand your point. Perhaps too big of a deal is being made of it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

They could not recruit a full guard of 45 this year--I don't ever remember that being a problem. Going co-ed would be the sensible thing to do in 2023.  Young kids today don't particularly care about marching in an all-male corps. Those days are past. The last all-girl corps--the Bandettes--folded 20 years ago.  Madison made a smart decision to go co-ed last year. It will pay off next year, when they should get back into finals. (If not this year). 

This again????

madison didn’t go Co-Ed because they couldn’t get  male members with talent. It’s because their organization/board kept a design team that couldn’t design shows.

I said it before… if The Scouts had consistently been in the Top 12 they would’ve never gone co-ed.

As far as the Cavaliers being in the Top 6… I think there’s 30+ corps in dci that wished they were in that situation.

18 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm no judge, but for me personally, it's a visual thing. I love a big guard and what it adds. 8 bodies might make a difference just in the wow factor (not an actual sub-caption on the sheets as far as I know). But, I understand your point. Perhaps too big of a deal is being made of it. 

I’m watching Bostons guard and I’m not getting the wow factor they’ve had the past few years. In fact I’m seeing more dirt and dropped rifles.Bigger is not always better.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

IMO the increase in maximum membership has affected the entire activity. Talent moves up and the rest are left with what’s left, and the pool of talent was already thin and not very deep before the Pandemic. The cost of participating is another factor for families to consider with the economic crisis we’re all forced to deal with  

Also, take in consideration the number of guard members there are now in comparison to years past, along with the inclusion of multiple gender identities, and there is a greater differential between the haves and the have not’s. 

The Cavaliers chose to be defined by their all male status. Perhaps that’s in play too. Either way I’m convinced the organization will not allow a difficult start to the season to determine their final placement or success. 

Well, I'm talking about the drill design for the brass and percussion way more than the guard.

It's generic and not particularly exciting minus some highlights.

It's a huge step away from their historic identity, and when corps do that, they often fall.

2011 -> 2012 was a huge example of this...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, I'm talking about the drill design for the brass and percussion way more than the guard.

It's generic and not particularly exciting minus some highlights.

It's a huge step away from their historic identity, and when corps do that, they often fall.

2011 -> 2012 was a huge example of this...

Losing Gaines was the single most devastating thing to the Cavaliers design  in the last 20+ years. All the shows he’s done for SCV could’ve been equally designed for an all male corps.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

I'd love to see what Pete Weber could do with the rest of the Cavalier design team.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I’m watching Bostons guard and I’m not getting the wow factor they’ve had the past few years. In fact I’m seeing more dirt and dropped rifles.Bigger is not always better.

Please don’t take offense but I don’t think it’s necessary to take a shot at Boston, who has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. 

• Like 3