Escalating fuel cost and its impact on the 2022 tour

DCFAN

As the situation in Ukraine worsens, I believe that the next sanction will be shutting of Russian oil and gas.  If that happens the price of gas and oil will rise to a level that will make it tough to tour.   In some places like California where the price is approaching $6 + you may be looking at $8 gas and close to $9 diesel.  Some analysts are saying $6 on average is possible.   It is not a good year to have raised the membership to 165. It may be smarter to reduce the membership that can fit on 3 buses and eliminate props and the size of the pits.  The goal would be to reduce the size of the fleet which would reduce both insurance and fuel cost.  DCI got creative last year maybe it's time to start thinking about some alternate plans.  Remember it's not just the corps but also impact fans to make a very expensive trip just to attend a show.  For me I was spending less than $40 to fill my gas tank which holds only 15 gallons, now it is costing close to $70.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Electric vehicles need to be charged - and finding a location near housing sites would be problematic.  You can't just run an extension cord to the vehicle & plug it in.  It requires a dedicated circuit, and even with these it can take 8 hours to charge an electric car battery alone.  Busses will require even more power.

Maybe a small, towable nuclear power-plant could be added to the convoy to provide charging for the vehicles at the housing site.

Or a fleet of semis carrying those 'state fair' style generators to charge 'em up. 😁

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They don’t come here and either and I don’t blame them.  It’s Vietnam hot and humid. 

OFF topic - but when I was in south Louisiana there were a lot of Vietnamese refugees that had settled there.  The weather was similar (in FL you get breezes & pm thunderstorms, not in LA), the crops were similar, & the Cajuns, having been refugees themselves in late 1700s, were very welcoming to them.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
clarity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OFF topic - but when I was in south Louisiana there were a lot of Vietnamese refugees that had settled there.  The weather was similar (in FL you get breezes & pm thunderstorms, not in LA), the crops were similar, & the Cajuns, having been refugees themselves in late 1700s, were very welcoming to them.

I only say Vietnam hot because Jim describes it that way in the summer. Still beats snow and cold. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:42 AM, kkrepps said:

Gas prices wouldn't be an issue if all the Corps stopped hauling around big props, marched more, and switched back to G bugles. 

And think of the savings if they had to pay for only two valves!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I only say Vietnam hot because Jim describes it that way in the summer. Still beats snow and cold. 

We just call it "stupid hot" in TN. Honestly Atlanta is even worse and that's saying something. I can practically taste the smell of our old uniform hauler now when they would open it up after a long drive through the swamp that is the Southeast. Who needs chemical weapons when you have top halves that haven't been washed in weeks on summer tour. 

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Electric vehicles need to be charged - and finding a location near housing sites would be problematic.  You can't just run an extension cord to the vehicle & plug it in.  It requires a dedicated circuit, and even with these it can take 8 hours to charge an electric car battery alone.  Busses will require even more power.

Maybe a small, towable nuclear power-plant could be added to the convoy to provide charging for the vehicles at the housing site.

I will circle back to you on the nuke towable's. Outstanding idea and something the entire activity should be striving for.