Surf Organization Responds To Membership Challenges By Lowering 2022 Drum Corps Participation Expenses By $1000

15 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Everyone wants to keep blaming props and electronics. It’s the insane amount some of these corps are paying designers and staff. Corps only have themselves to blame of what they evolved to. Let’s see if the pendulum shifts. Something has got to give.

I can agree....partially..I think it's not the amount that's paid to some staff , it's the amount of staff that corps have nowadays. In years past we had far fewer staff, staff that had to do more with less help than today and staff that had to manage and still put out a very high quality product. AND NO i'm not talking 100 years ago...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

On 3/23/2022 at 10:08 AM, shostahoosier said:

No. I think the problem is that the $5000 drum corps experience costs performers $5000.

A member of Gold commented on reddit that Surf's fees are now lower than theirs. Gold's corps director has also stated that there's a $1600 gap between what members pay and what it actually costs the corps per member. Adding those together, it costs at least $5000 per member to cover Gold's expenses; the corps undercharges their students by $1600 each.

It's probably safe to say that the world class members paying $5000 are getting much more than a $5000 experience.

$5000 is still a lot to ask of the vast majority of families, but so are all the thousands of dollars that go into subsidizing the rest of the costs that families aren't being asked to pay for.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

A member of Gold commented on reddit that Surf's fees are now lower than theirs. Gold's corps director has also stated that there's a $1600 gap between what members pay and what it actually costs the corps per member. Adding those together, it costs at least $5000 per member to cover Gold's expenses; the corps undercharges their students by $1600 each.

It's probably safe to say that the world class members paying $5000 are getting much more than a $5000 experience.

$5000 is still a lot to ask of the vast majority of families, but so are all the thousands of dollars that go into subsidizing the rest of the costs that families aren't being asked to pay for.

For a perspective sort of related; I paid $5,000 for a 5 week ballet intensive for my daughter.  That was 5 weeks of ballet for 5 days/week. 3 meals/day, no travel, no performances, nothing on weekends, no unscheduled visitors, one trip away from the college they stayed at.  What you get for a DC summer tour (and camps leading up to tour) experience imo far outweighs the ballet intensive.  The value is a personal choice, but breaking down all components of each experience, DC gets the most bang for the buck. IMO. Each one at $5K? I’m going with DC.  Plus I suck at ballet.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:02 AM, shostahoosier said:

The average sports camp is charging more than $5K a week? Because it seems like the average corps fee is this much.

https://blog.massmutual.com/post/summer-sports-camps-athletic-costs-and-curveballs

16 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Your point? 

my point is if someone wants something bad enough they find a way.

i've been saying here for months excessive spring training lengths are budget killers. 5-6 weeks renting a facility or two, 4 meals a day for everyone, travel costs getting people in and out.....and not making a dime.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I had actually already read this article.

It doesn't answer my question about the average cost of a sports camp - it just says that they vary wildly.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my point is if someone wants something bad enough they find a way.

i've been saying here for months excessive spring training lengths are budget killers. 5-6 weeks renting a facility or two, 4 meals a day for everyone, travel costs getting people in and out.....and not making a dime.

1. I think finding a way worked when corps fees were closer in relation to the minimum wage jobs that members could work during the off season.

2. I TOTALLY AGREE with you about spring training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shostahoosier said:

1. I think finding a way worked when corps fees were closer in relation to the minimum wage jobs that members could work during the off season.

And when someone sees how deep of a hole they would be in paying the bills… the desire to want something can cool off REAL quick.

s/ guy who went to a state college (when they were a cheaper option) and had classmates who wanted to go to a “name” school… then they started crunching the numbers and 🤯

Edited by JimF-LowBari

18 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I can agree....partially..I think it's not the amount that's paid to some staff , it's the amount of staff that corps have nowadays. In years past we had far fewer staff, staff that had to do more with less help than today and staff that had to manage and still put out a very high quality product. AND NO i'm not talking 100 years ago...lol

I have wondered how many staff members are more well paid advisors and how much time some spend with the corps. I know in the past I have seen FB posts of instructors at summer vacation hotspots while the corps is touring many miles away. I’m not begrudging this since we all need time off and if an instructor has a family, being away most of the summer could be a problem. I also think listing tons of staff is something some corps do to look impressive. I have talked with parent volunteers who wonder what some staff members actually do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I have wondered how many staff members are more well paid advisors and how much time some spend with the corps. I know in the past I have seen FB posts of instructors at summer vacation hotspots while the corps is touring many miles away. I’m not begrudging this since we all need time off and if an instructor has a family, being away most of the summer could be a problem. I also think listing tons of staff is something some corps do to look impressive. I have talked with parent volunteers who wonder what some staff members actually do. 

Here is my advice (free) to any Corps that wants to use it:

1.  Play 3-6 kick-*ss songs, actual melody (not just snippets sandwiched between power chords with chromatic runs in the pit).

2.  March a cool drill.

3.  Do cool guard work.

4.  Number of trombones cannot exceed number of marching cymbals.

5.  DFTK.

6.  If anyone (staff or member) bullies another, they are immediately sent home.

7.  No more than 2 equipment trucks (not including food truck) allowed.  Whatever you are doing, the props, equipment (inc amps), uniforms, instruments (inc pit) must fit on 2 trucks.  Every additional truck is a 5-point penalty.

People will say 'this wouldn't be competitive.  But, what if every Corps followed these rules?  Then, they would all be competitive.

Gotta go chase kids off the lawn...