Airfare impact on DCI 2022

27 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Was just curious about your return flights from IND.  Did anyone suffer any delays or cancelations for your return home?  Forgot to ask as I got busy with the start of school & the fall adventures.     

Arrival was technically delayed. I would have missed my connecting flight but I was put on a direct flight which got me to Indy sooner. Going home, No issues. I was surprised at how empty the airport was in comparison to other years. My flight out was at 3:20 PM. No wait at security, no problem finding a seat. Last year and previous years I had the same flight time give or take, but the airport was always crowded and getting through security took a while. I did hear Saturday was crazy. I also heard not as many kids from corps that did not make finals stayed around for finals. For last year which I found crazy, all corps stayed for all three days which meant a busier Sunday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Arrival was technically delayed. I would have missed my connecting flight but I was put on a direct flight which got me to Indy sooner. Going home, No issues. I was surprised at how empty the airport was in comparison to other years. My flight out was at 3:20 PM. No wait at security, no problem finding a seat. Last year and previous years I had the same flight time give or take, but the airport was always crowded and getting through security took a while. I did hear Saturday was crazy. I also heard not as many kids from corps that did not make finals stayed around for finals. For last year which I found crazy, all corps stayed for all three days which meant a busier Sunday.

My 5:15am departure flight to IND w/connection thru ATL was delay almost 8 hours, so I requested my refund & drove.  ( Arrived @IND hotel before the flight departed that afternoon.)  Luckily, no major issues on I-65 North except one major accident that I jumped off for about 10 miles to bypass.       

8 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

My 5:15am departure flight to IND w/connection thru ATL was delay almost 8 hours, so I requested my refund & drove.  ( Arrived @IND hotel before the flight departed that afternoon.)  Luckily, no major issues on I-65 North except one major accident that I jumped off for about 10 miles to bypass.       

I don’t miss that drive on I-94, 90, 80 to I-65 south from Chicago at all. Nightmarish every year. I-74 from Cincinnati to Indy and back Sunday, was a breeze.  And only 1 - 1/2 hours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Was just curious about your return flights from IND.  Did anyone suffer any delays or cancelations for your return home?  Forgot to ask as I got busy with the start of school & the fall adventures.     

My son's original flight home was supposed to be Indy to Vegas, then to Ontario Ca with an arrival time of 1145am Pacific time Sunday Morning. Here was my son's ACTUAL journey home from Indy via Southwest Airlines............................

Original flight from Indy to Vegas was delayed then cancelled. They threw him on a flight from Indy to Fort Myers Florida, THEN BACK UP to Columbus Ohio, then onto Phoenix Arizona. 

From the time he got on the plane in Indy, he wasn't allowed to get off the plane until he got to Phoenix, which was approximately 10pm pacific time. He was on the plane for a total of 11 hours. And of course by the time he landed in Phoenix, all the eatery places were closing down the for the night. Since he left Indy, all he had to eat was peanuts on the plane. 

His flight from Phoenix to Ontario was supposed to depart just after midnight, but the pilots were going to "Time Out" as they reached their threshold of flying for the day. So the flight was cancelled.

My son sat in Phoenix airport all night with nothing to eat until his flight left at 6:15am, and I finally picked him up in Ontario at 7:45am pacific time Monday morning. 

Since leaving Indy, he barely ate or slept in nearly 24 hours. 

And to top it off, as soon as he got home, he tested positive for Covid. 

No lie. Can't make this stuff up. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Years back returned on an overseas flight to Baltimore Washington international (BWI). Next was puddle jumper to Harrisburg (about 40 minute flight). Got switched to another plane then had to siphon gas out to lighten the load. Then… couldn’t get a gas cap on the wing open. Mechanic had to tap on the door with a big wrench to be left in to check something (over and over). 😱

Women behind me asks “how long does it take to get to Harrisburg” Told her “if you had gotten a rental car same time as we got on the plane you’d almost be there”. “ARE YOU KIDDING? 🤯” “Afraid not… I live there”. Kicker was rental car desk was closed when we got there. I about ran to the taxi area before everyone else thought of it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

My son's original flight home was supposed to be Indy to Vegas, then to Ontario Ca with an arrival time of 1145am Pacific time Sunday Morning. Here was my son's ACTUAL journey home from Indy via Southwest Airlines............................

Original flight from Indy to Vegas was delayed then cancelled. They threw him on a flight from Indy to Fort Myers Florida, THEN BACK UP to Columbus Ohio, then onto Phoenix Arizona. 

From the time he got on the plane in Indy, he wasn't allowed to get off the plane until he got to Phoenix, which was approximately 10pm pacific time. He was on the plane for a total of 11 hours. And of course by the time he landed in Phoenix, all the eatery places were closing down the for the night. Since he left Indy, all he had to eat was peanuts on the plane. 

His flight from Phoenix to Ontario was supposed to depart just after midnight, but the pilots were going to "Time Out" as they reached their threshold of flying for the day. So the flight was cancelled.

My son sat in Phoenix airport all night with nothing to eat until his flight left at 6:15am, and I finally picked him up in Ontario at 7:45am pacific time Monday morning. 

Christing hell.

So sorry an otherwise stellar season for him with Gold had to end so terribly.  One can DRIVE from Indy to Ontario, CA in 29 hours...although stops for food and sleep and all. 😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Wow! I had a 2:30pm departure from IND with connection thru DTW.  With delayed early departure to IND thru ATL, I just knew something would go wrong on Sunday with connection thru DTW.   Glad I just decided to drive.  

On a side note, I like the Ontario airport.  So much easier than LAX. 👍   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Would be interesting to hear him tell the story 30 years from now.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Wow! I had a 2:30pm departure from IND with connection thru ATL.  With delayed early departure to IND, I just knew something would go wrong on Sunday with connection thru DTW.   Glad I just decided to drive.  

Just about everything is easier than LAX.  Even Guam is better than LAX. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Wow! I had a 2:30pm departure from IND with connection thru ATL.  With delayed early departure to IND, I just knew something would go wrong on Sunday with connection thru DTW.   Glad I just decided to drive.  

Oh yea LAX is a freaking nightmare, especially with all the construction they have going right now.

When Gold left for tour heading to ATL for DCI Southeast, they flew out of LAX late in the afternoon. Dear God! I am a LA kid born and raised, even my blood pressure was spiking dealing those idiots. Nearly got into four accidents, and that was before reaching terminal one coming in off Century BLVD lol. 

While LAX is normally cheaper, I rather pay extra for Ontario, San Diego, or John Wayne Airport in Orange County then deal with LAX. All those airports are within one hour of us here in Murrieta, LAX is about 75 min pending traffic. 

• Like 1