Camp Encore in Sweden, Maine!

9 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

DCI these days is really a semester abroad experience in the Fine Arts if you will.

A good way to think about this.

• Like 1

Drum corps level instruction without the thrill of competition! Rustic cabins =Bring a blanket, matter fact bring two and a hoodie and sweats. No travel to worry about?! We look forward to the travel! I'm kidding of course. PC2022

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Thanks for posting this. This may look really expensive but it is in line with many other summer orchestral camps, especially those for college students (I know this one is more for HS students). The notion that drums & bugle corps can continue to charge $2,000 to $3,000 is unfortunately long gone. Like I said in another post, when I was graduating HS I went to the Chautauqua Institute (New York) for an orchestral camp and had I not received full scholarship the cost would have been in the $4,000 range which covered room and food and instruction, and anything extra after that came out of pocket. That was the summer of 1983. Of course the instruction was likely the big cost as we got to study with some top orchestral players. I studied with John Marcellas of the Eastman School of Music for the summer, so that alone was worth it. When I went to the EMF Orchestral Festival in 86 and 87 I believe the cost was even more expensive. 

DCI these days is really a semester abroad experience in the Fine Arts if you will. The marching members get great instructions in music, visual execution, and even dance and character acting, and they get to travel, perform, and learn in a team environment. A full semester at many universities would cost $10,000 up to $20,000 or more. I think most drum corps have done their best to keep costs down, and many are filling in the gap with bingo and other fund raisers. 

DCI should partner with a reputable college so students could earn credit for the entire season from auditions to finals. Or have they already tried or considered this perk?

9500 for 6.5 weeks is about 45 days at 211.00 per day. It really is not bad considering meals, accommodations and of course why they are there for. Hopefully for people who don't have that kind of money they have scholarships available.

11 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

DCI should partner with a reputable college so students could earn credit for the entire season from auditions to finals. Or have they already tried or considered this perk?

Some schools did offer college credits for marching Drum Corps. I'm out of the loop on this now and unsure if schools still do, and which ones. But I agree with you that its something to be further explored as a future possibility and with more schools and universities involved in such.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Some schools did offer college credits for marching Drum Corps. I'm out of the loop on this now and unsure if schools still do, and which ones. But I agree with you that its something to be further explored as a future possibility and with more schools and universities involved in such.

Now that you mentioned it, I think Jacksonville State University awarded credit for students when Spirit was based at JSU for several years.      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I agree. Partnering with a prestigious music school would be a good idea IMO. College credit and more exposure for the school You would think that would be a win-win for both of the parties.

6 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I agree. Partnering with a prestigious music school would be a good idea IMO. College credit and more exposure for the school You would think that would be a win-win for both of the parties.

Prestigious music schools want nothing to do with marching band