DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

I enjoyed Bluecoats, but I don’t think I’d put the show above Crown, SCV or BD. 

• Like 2

Just now, CAtenhut said:

Let's wait for Crown on Friday before you limit it to 2. But so far, I have BD ahead easily.

I don't need to wait for Crown. I've seen their show. It's going to be a BD-Bloo race. 

• Like 1

Just now, Trumpet2 said:

I enjoyed Bluecoats, but I don’t think I’d put the show above Crown, SCV or BD. 

The judges are going to eat the #### out of Bluecoats show all season. I'm not the biggest Bloo fan but IMO BD has the only show that can top Bluecoats. I don't want either of them to win (would rather have Vanguard or Crown), but IMO these two have a leg up on everyone in design this year.

Just back from the theatre

=

Bluecoats on another plane from everyone else, including BD. It's their's to lose this year (it helps that their visual execution is early to mid-July form now).

Boston - some cool ideas. We'll see how it develops. Left me a little cool tonight, but they've been slow starters for me the last few times out.

Cavaliers - tons of potential when it gets cleaned and completed. In some ways the most musically engaging show of the night. Not a guard person, but looking at the recaps, sorry bruh, not seeing them behind Blue Stars in the caption.

PR - nice reboot for them. Solidly back in the top 9 group unless something surprising happens.

Blue Stars - that's a lot of lot of lot out there. The prop-iness of the show and the individualization of the costume plot lost me a little, visually. Musically don't remember much, but nothing that stuck out good or bad.

Bones - they look young, but the staff's given them something they can achieve to max effect by August. They'll be fine.

Overall, a successful opening to the season so far. Lots of good intrigue at all tiers, and a really nicely varied selection of shows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My order of favorites tonight.

1. Bluecoats (hands down the best designed show here, by far)

2. Regiment (I absolutely love this show. Welcome back Regiment)

3. Boston (a step up from 2019, but overhyped per usual)

4. Blue Stars (love the colors, this one will grow on me)

5. Cavies (didn't like)

6. Corpsmen (didn't like)

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Bluecoats on another plane from everyone else, including BD. It's their's to lose this year (it helps that their visual execution is early to mid-July form now).

My thoughts exactly in June 2017, June 2018 and June 2019. I've learned never to count BD out. Until something drastic changes in Concord, they'll be at the top, fighting for the title, every year.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Not sure what the moving props are meant to be other than equipment carriers. 

Think Cadillac Ranch, near Amarillo, TX.

16 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Welp, seasons done..... right?

It's done for Cavies. First step to 11th place happened tonight 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Like so many comments already posted, I was blown away by Bloo. I did expect they would take the evening, but I don’t think I expected them to be a strong as they were and I’m looking forward to seeing what the season will bring. 

Boston Crusaders was amazing too. I saw what I thought were a few examples of jitters which often happens when a show does not begin on time. While we need to see what Crown will bring and how they fare in comparison with SCV, I think Bronze is not out of the question. 

I do realize that Cavies show is not finished, but at the time where they are finishing, BAC will be tweaking and adding layers. This could be a disadvantage. 

Phantom’s improvement is huge. As the performance progressed, so too did their confidence. 

Maybe I would have felt differently if I had been in Detroit to see the show live, but Blue Stars’ show seemed a bit cluttered to me. It could have been the camera angles. At the premiere event I don’t need to see close ups, I want to get a feel of the show but with Blue Stars there were too many close ups which gave it a cluttered feel.

Crossmen struggled but I wasn’t that surprised. I think the show is ambitious musically and theme wise, but a lot more work is needed to bring the concept to life. If things I’m hearing about Colts and Madison prove to be true, Crossmen could be in trouble.

• Like 2