DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

I say this as a huge Bluecoats fan and only from watching flomarching this year,

Blue Devils seem to March and play better right now, with a show that plays to their strengths, as usual

Bluecoats very creative show with lots of GE but May not perform it as well as BD performs theirs when it’s all said and done.

This has been the case since 2017

Hoping another corps can knock these two off the “potential champion” pedestal (Crown?)

Ok, so I finished watching the Cavaliers. Very solid show. Some wicked brass licks in this show and overall they did well with is. Love their uniforms. Very eye catching. Guard seems good but sloppy. Marching is very sloppy as well and the show is not complete yet. I think the show has legs. Top 3 legs? Most likely no. But I think they will do well with the audiences this summer. Let's see how the closer works with everything else. This could turn into one of the more entertaining shows. They have a lot of cleaning to do which may not be a bad thing. 

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I am a Bluecoat.  Don't take me for anything but a fair critic.

This show is not like anything they have ever done before, and it tracks closely with the contemporary Blue Devil aesthetic.  Pretty sure that I'm not saying anything that is remotely controversial or contrary to fair observation.

On another note, you may know of the Slurpee tumor by another name, "brain freeze" or "ice cream headache".

I’m wary of the way people blame BD for every trend that they dislike. There are plenty of new things happening in DCI that BD simply hasn’t done.  I don’t see the BD of this new Bloo show at all. It’s all Bloo to me. The sound, structure, look, vibe are not BD at all. It tracks a lot more for the corps that did back to back Beatles shows and is now having its acid trip era just like the Beatles did lol. This show is SO modern Bloo to me — all about the vibes, showing off without “showing off.” That’s not BD’s schtick at all. I love that about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Couldn't really get into Crossmen's show at all. Bad concept that is probably in the trash bin of every design team's "brainstorming" session. Maybe it could've worked with a better design.

Blue Stars were alright. I feel like I need to see the show a few more times, but not a fan of the number of props and uniforms. Just feels a little cluttered.

Phantom was great. It feels like it's missing something to really make it shine, but if they find it they'll be solidly ahead of BS by seasons end imo.

Boston was fantastic. It's pretty clear talent is top tier and the props work really well, but like others I feel like GE will need a bit of a boost by seasons end if they want to reach into the top 4. Give me more wow moments.

Cavaliers was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Some great moments, but then just other moments that didn't work for me and maybe it's because they need to cleanup and finish the show. A step down from 2019 overall imo.

Bluecoats seemed like a winning show to me. Clearly most entertaining of the night and narration worked for me honestly, felt Hunter S. Thompson-esque.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, noahsigs said:

Coming back to DCP for the first time in a while to say; Phantom getting last in brass is freaking insane. Like, what the heck?

It appears that this was this particular Brass judge's first DCI show. Might've been experiencing the same first show jitters that the corps were

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Well luckily for us "Stale Take" isn't part of the scoring sheets. 

Keep pissing them off BD!!

I hate BD. I admit it. I do. It goes all the way back to when I marched. I hate 'em. I hate that they win all the time. But, you know, it took a long time for me to get past that bias and see things for what they ####### are. BD isn't stale. BD doesn't just park and blow. BD's show's aren't easy. BD doesn't have the judges in their pocket. BD does drum corps best. That's it. That's why they win. They are the best, and until you beat BD you ain't the best. June of every single year, since 2007, BD is the front runner. They are the frontrunner right now in June 2022, and and that won't change if and until someone beats them (like Vanguard did in 2018).

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I hate BD. I admit it. I do. It goes all the way back to when I marched. I hate 'em. I hate that they win all the time. But, you know, it took a long time for me to get past that bias and see things for what they ####### are. BD isn't stale. BD doesn't just park and blow. BD's show's aren't easy. BD doesn't have the judges in their pocket. BD does drum corps best. That's it. That's why they win. They are the best, and until you beat BD you ain't the best. June of every single year, since 2007, BD is the front runner. They are the frontrunner right now in June 2022, and and that won't change unless someone beats them (like Vanguard did in 2018).

That's straight facts, and I can respect that. 

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Bloo is interesting, pit, battery guard, soloists, drill, design are all great. But I felt nearly no personal weight to their full ensemble moments, felt much more of that from their 2019 show, thankfully I get to see a mid season bloo and most top 12 corps at Denton in person so they can change my mind. I also wouldn’t count out Crown from top 2 either, it’ll take a few jointed at the hip shows between these two to see what the scoring trends will be. That’s not even factoring SCV and BD. BD is probably the only certainty for me at this point

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Vanguard (my favorite) just doesn't have the show to beat Bloo and BD. I've seen Crown and I don't think they have the show either. I just don't. To me, BD and Bloo are by far the two best designed shows this year and design is what wins. Design kept Crown in 4th (rather than challenging for the title in 2019) and design is going to keep them out of the top 2 this year. They may get 3rd though.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Have you just never heard of the ‘60s, or…? 

Bloo’s show may be a little unexpected in the drum corps context, but in terms of the actual aesthetic, it’s pretty straightforward 60s stoner acid vibes, no? Idk where “Slurpee tumor” came from but if that’s what your Slurpees are like I beg you to hook me up with your supplier, stat!

The range of things that DCP calls pretentious has gotten outta hand, IMO. Stray one hair past Malagueña boulevard and it’s like you’ve committed murder, yeesh. 

"Stray one hair past Malagueña boulevard and it’s like you’ve committed murder, yeesh.  " Hands down, the quote of the night!

I know you reference the '60s, but this phrase is right out of the Beat writers of the '50s. Very Kerouac-esq.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree. I was disappointed in this show. I do think it's a better design than 2017-2019 - well playing more to the sheets. I think they've been overhyped once again. Going to be tough for this show to medal. I mean people saying they are on BD's level. Ridic.

I agree with you that this is a better design than any of the previous years and the consensus seems to be that they are performing it at a reasonably high level.  I am sure you would also agree that we don't really know anyones' chances of medalling until we have them all in the same show judged by the same panel.