DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

Full disclosure:  I watched the Detroit show at home.  Not the theater.  But a friend that I trust sent me this.  I found it to be disheartening.  

“During the Tour Premiere broadcast, did you hear one of the broadcast commentators talking about "placement".

They said the Judges spend the first couple of weeks figuring out placement.

Then spend the rest of the season concentrating  on scores.

That sure sounds like "slotting".”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s only slotting if every corps is at an even playing field and theyre simply not. If every corps had the same resources and talent as the top 3, then slotting would be an issue. But there is no feasible way that a corps like Crossmen or Colts finishes in the top 5, even if they execute their show flawlessly and to pretend like slotting is why they can’t do that is ignoring many other factors. 

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Full disclosure:  I watched the Detroit show at home.  Not the theater.  But a friend that I trust sent me this.  I found it to be disheartening.  

“During the Tour Premiere broadcast, did you hear one of the broadcast commentators talking about "placement".

Oooo.  Talk about saying the quiet part out loud.

Can anyone confirm that commentary?

To play Devil's advocate (pun partly intended), there is a reality to that assertion that doesn't necessarily violate the ability that corps have to be competitive.  The issue is that if THIS is how it was put into words... it was a bad choice of words for this particular audience.

But truth be told, the older I get, the more this whole thing becomes like "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"... where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Oooo.  Talk about saying the quiet part out loud.

Can anyone confirm that commentary?

To play Devil's advocate (pun partly intended), there is a reality to that assertion that doesn't necessarily violate the ability that corps have to be competitive.  The issue is that if THIS is how it was put into words... it was a bad choice of words for this particular audience.

But truth be told, the older I get, the more this whole thing becomes like "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"... where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

Do you remember back in the early 2000’s when the Cap Sound girl found a tote sheet on the field during their show at DCM prelims in Dekalb?  There was a huge uproar and the judge got into some hot water.  Keith Gee was the corps director.  I’m sure if he was here he’d back me up on this.  It was a huge deal.  Quite revealing especially since the Cap Sound kids were always sitting out finals because they had the misfortune of being a Div 2 corps.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

It’s only slotting if every corps is at an even playing field and theyre simply not. If every corps had the same resources and talent as the top 3, then slotting would be an issue. But there is no feasible way that a corps like Crossmen or Colts finishes in the top 5, even if they execute their show flawlessly and to pretend like slotting is why they can’t do that is ignoring many other factors. 

I would also suggest that the potential competitive group is much larger than 3 (it's more like 7 or 8). The issue in a particular season comes down to design.  You gotta dance with the one that brung ya, and there's only so much alteration that groups can make before something is improved into a failure (there was a string of Cadet shows like that not too long ago, Crown 2014, Bluecoats 2018 etc.)  You can have all the resources and just get locked out by design concepts, in fact that's most of the championship game every year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Do you remember back in the early 2000’s when the Cap Sound girl found a tote sheet on the field during their show at DCM prelims in Dekalb?  There was a huge uproar and the judge got into some hot water.  Keith Gee was the corps director.  I’m sure if he was here he’d back me up on this.  It was a huge deal.  Quite revealing especially since the Cap Sound kids were always sitting out finals because they had the misfortune of being a Div 2 corps.

Oh my.  I had never heard about that one.

16 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

I find it bizarre that there's this huge distinction between top 3 and top 6 ( or top 5) now.

It used to be that there was a top 6. Now people only care about the medalists?

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

What he actually said was in these early shows they aren't worried so much about getting an accurate number, ie.  cavies are .5 ahead of Phantom in field percussion, but what they are trying to get correct is the order, ie. cavies field percussion was better than PRs as an example.  so spreads and such aren't that meaningful in the early shows, as long as the corps are in the correct order of placement based on their performances.

• Like 5