DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

16 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I’m really trying to understand what  “playing to the sheets” means when we’re comparing specific shows, because that’s the only way I’ll ever understand how a 1.762 point difference between first place and fourth place can be blamed on “playing to the sheets,” and it’s the only way I’ll understand the logic behind saying that a corps that was a serious contender all season simply wasn’t playing the game as much. Because that’s ultimately what we’re talking about in the case of Crown 2019: a 4th place finish that was 1.762 points behind first. How is it that a corps gets ranked top 3 by three out of four GE judges and we’re still here saying they “didn't play to the sheets” as much as every other top contender? Genuinely. Is there a reason beyond “The show I personally enjoyed more scored lower”? 

I mean, do I get to say that in 2013 and 2018 and 2016 BD just didn’t play to the sheets as much as Crown and Bloo and SCV? Because that honestly sounds like something a martian would say. Hide your pets if you hear someone say that.  

You bring up interesting points, and I don't think I understand it any better than you. I don't know. I just saw a difference in the designs of the top 3 corps (and Cavaliers) vs Boston and Crown in 2019, especially on the visual side. To me the top 3 corps (and Cavaliers) were more about staging and body movement and less about marching a difficult and cohesive drill, which both Crown and Boston had in my opinion. I liked Bluecoats and Devils in 2019, didn't like Vanguard, but loved Boston and Crown (especially Crown) the most because those are the shows I like. I just see that stark difference in design, and in my opinion design took Cavaliers to 5th and kept Boston in 6th, and talent kept Crown in the top 4 but design kept them out of the top 3.

I'm not pretending I'm an expert here by any means, because I'm so baffled by it. I am not a judge, but I cannot understand how Crown did not beat Vanguard in 2019, and I don't understand how you win Music and finish 4th. It's the design. It's all down to the design. The judges eat up what Devils, Bluecoats and Vanguard are doing, and they frown (for lack of a better word) on what Crown is doing. BAC is playing the game this year. Their show is much more designed in the vein of the top 3 from 2019 than their own show in 2019.

Blue Devils always play to the sheets. They are not going to win every year. Their 2013 show definitely played to the sheets, as did Crown. Things are different today than in 2013. Design is different and what gets rewarded and what gets dinged is different. Devils 2018 show played to the sheets too. Vanguard was just spectacular and had one of those shows that was just unbeatable. 2016 Bluecoats revolutionized the way crops do props and the uniforms they wear. That show launched us into the new era. It was one of the first times Devils weren't in the forefront of moving things forward. But look at how many corps followed Bluecoats lead in 2017. It was remarkable.

The sheets baffle me. What wins and what loses baffles me (sometimes). I just think based on what we have seen in the past, no one is going to touch Bluecoats and Devils this year. They are hands down the two best designed shows, and they obviously have the talent to back it up.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

I’m going to say something very controversial 

I don’t think BD will be in contention at the end of the season, it will come down to Bluecoats and Crown imo 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I don’t think BD will be in contention at the end of the season, it will come down to Bluecoats and Crown imo 

Shot in the dark? Or do you see some evidence of a decline?

It's one thing to say that they may not win... but it's another to say they will be out of contention.  Seems to me that would require a decline of some sort as they are almost always in contention due to performance scores alone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I  We need more scale patterns and runs.  They would go a long way to write in some more Mello runs on the sustained sections and add a few trumpet embellishments.  It shouldn't be hard to do...

I hope someone from Bloo takes notice.  With the great visual design on top of their GE, I would hate to see music suffer due to a minor lack of competitive content.

All do respect, the absolute LAST thing DCI needs is more technical passages for technical passages sake. That’s SO boring and destroys the musical through line.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I respect your opinion.

As a BD Honk, regarding the Devils being "Out of contention".........I will be back to this comment Finals Night to collect receipts. 

See you in August brother!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Lol, okay hun. Try ending the law of gravity first

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

All do respect, the absolute LAST thing DCI needs is more technical passages for technical passages sake. That’s SO boring and destroys the musical through line.

Yeah... I don’t think I'm saying that.

If it SOUNDS safe, then it sounds safe.

The show sounds safe, IMO.  Technical passages are exciting, interesting, impressive and fun in the same way that high velocity drill increases value for spectators.

Edited by cfirwin3

I just saw a performance by Crown ..couldn't see the design from the angle of the video but the music book ...is FIRE!!!!! They've become my favorite total show so far musically...Hope their show design brings success..peace

• Like 3

1 minute ago, waliman4444 said:

I just saw a performance by Crown ..couldn't see the design from the angle of the video but the music book ...is FIRE!!!!! They've become my favorite total show so far musically...Hope their show design brings success..peace

Sounds like you saw the s same video I saw.  All will be clear tomorrow night. 

• Like 5