DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

Catching the last part of the rebroadcast:  Gonna have to say BAC's What a Wonderful World will be a personal favorite this season. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Got in late from rehearsal. Only caught Bluecoats at the end, but that was a BIG WOW! So daring, so brave, and once again Bloo finds a way to take our breath away (or in this case pass the peace pipe and say "just lay back and enjoy, man). This show could be stunning in a few weeks or so as they fine tune the visuals and the closer. 

I just went back and have watched the first 3 corps of the night. 

I love Phantom Regiment. This will be one of my favorite music books of the summer. Watch this brass line roar in a few weeks as endurance and finesse begin to kick in. Only caveat for this show is the props. Either lose them or figure something out. Drill is effective and demanding. Guard is solid and I really like the percussion writing. 

Crossmen: I LOVE the uniforms. Show is solid, readable and should be a contender for top 12 but there is a lot of great competition this year. Mandarins are much stronger with a killer brass line this year. I don't see Xmen topping that, at least not now. We will have to see how they compare with Madison and a few others. 

Blue Stars: A confusing show for me tonight. Just finished watching them. The color palette for the show is odd. The uniforms just do not pop and the props do nothing for me as of now. One of the big problems is that the music book does not seem to have enough elements that draw you in. They need to first find a flow for this show musically, then deal with the visual issues to see if they can find more GE. The performers are fantastic but design staff need to make big adjustments. 

Thanks for the great read as always, Jonathan!  

Harvey

• Like 2

Just now, TexasPRfan said:

Thanks for the great read as always, Jonathan!  

Harvey

Thanks. Hopefully you've had a chance to see Phantom on Flo. That brass line is going to be wicked good by midseason I think. Great show. Just not wild about the props. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Thanks. Hopefully you've had a chance to see Phantom on Flo. That brass line is going to be wicked good by midseason I think. Great show. Just not wild about the props. 

I haven't yet, sadly.  Work has been eating me alive.  However, I knew with a lot of design talent back from their most recent hey day, and with JD Shaw at the helm they would rise.  They started that with a phenomenal effort last summer.  I think Phantom has to be super happy with scoring given they went on first.  That can't be discounted...  Not at all worried about Brass, for all the reasons you've called out.  They started re-establishing their identity last year, and this continues that in a great way.  Can't wait to see them live in Texas!!!

Very interesting to see how mixed the opinions are on many corps.  That's a very good thing, I think!  Excited about what I'm reading about Cavies and Blue Stars too, in particular.  We know Bloo is going to do Bloo and be a juggernaut battling it out with BD.  That's no surprise.

Here's to a great season!  My first show will be Ogden.

Harvey

• Like 5

This was my view lastnight.

Phantom regiment i was most delighted for. I want more..

Cavaliers an exciting and energetic start to their season, but can go places with utmost, necessary work on the show.

Boston, Shines bright with Potential even though gives off a polarizing impression..

Bluecoats was bold and the star of the night, you either hate or love what they are doing.

Crossmen did a good job, but leave some chattering on their choices... It's interesting and can become a favorite.

Bluestars for me was disappointed because i had expectations. However i manage to still appreciate the show for what it is and can become. It definitely reminded me of them in the past and i wanted something fresh.

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Catching the last part of the rebroadcast:  Gonna have to say BAC's What a Wonderful World will be a personal favorite this season. 

As much as I like what Boston is doing with Wonderful World and how it fits into the program.  I think a fave will be “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” It didn’t come across very well imo in the theater, but I’ve heard it live and it has much more to it.  Evolving into the Tango and the tempo pickup will eventually contribute to overall GE that the staff, I am sure has the development and layering all planned out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

A lot has been made about the caption scores from last night but early season I try not to look at those too much. Use your own eyes and ears and take in what you are seeing in specific areas. When it comes to total show design and seeing the big picture it is clear that Bluecoats had a design (much like Blue Devils) that feels fresh and unique, even though they are using techniques and ideas that they have generated in years past. The best design teams can do this. 

CAPTIONS

However, one of the things I try to do early season is focus in on things like body carriage, synchronicity of legs and upper body, articulations and performer responsibilities in brass, staging of the guard and effectiveness of equipment work, percussion technique, musicality, and the relationship between pit and battery in writing. You cannot focus on each of these things in one viewing so you do this over a period of 3 or 4 shows early season. But this will give you a better read on which corps will improve faster, allowing for more layered visual work and attention to GE down the stretch of the season. 

BIG PICTURE AS OF NOW

It is clear that Blue Devils and Bluecoats have strong captions across the board and they obviously have the big picture design. I am anxious to see Carolina Crown but for now it seems BD and Bloo will be contenders. 

CORPS WITH STRONG CAPTION STRENGTH

Having said that, if I think individual strengths and caption quality I was very impressed with Boston. They can march, brass is exceptional and will likely be a top 3 or 4 line this year. Guard is obviously talented. Percussion was super good to my ears as well. If they can find a way to power the visual and GE aspects of this show a bit more then they can be dangerous from a competitive standpoint.

I think SCV falls in this category too. Very strong brass and percussion. Guard is talented and the corps marches well. Props do not work and they need to finish the show. If they find the right elements to bring the big picture together they can also be dangerous competitively. 

Will Carolina fall into this category with SCV and Boston or will they be closer to BD and Bloo in terms of total show design? We will see. But typically they bring amazing brass, excellent percussion, excellent marching, and a very good guard. So caption strength will be there and the key is do they have the visual and GE elements. 

NOT SURE ABOUT

When it comes to Cavaliers, at least for now (and that show is not complete) I did not get a sense that they have a potential top 3 brass line or percussion section. Same may be true with guard. But it's early so my comments only pertain to the now. Big picture I was not sure what I was supposed to be reacting to.  Visuals seem strong and perhaps when clean this show will project more effect. But for now SCV has a superior music ensemble in comparison to Cavaliers. So does Boston. 

TOP 4 MUSIC ENSEMBLES AS OF NOW

Not counting Crown, since I have not seen them, I'd say the best total music ensembles (brass and percussion) that I have heard are: 1) Blue Devils, 2) Boston, 3) SCV, 4) Bluecoats

Bloo has work to do with this brass line but they will get there. So although I have Bloo in 4th (and they could be 5th under Crown) this is only for total music ensemble. Bloo absolutely destroys Boston and SCV when it comes to total show. At any rate I am not basing this on scores but on what my ears tell me (as of now). Just an opinion, of course. I am not a DCI Judge. 

Boston and SCV have very strong music ensembles but will need to figure out how to get more from the props and total show visual and GE. BD and Bloo have the whole show concept nailed down. If Bloo is able to jump into the top 3 in brass and percussion then they will contend for sure. BD at this point has the advantage. No weaknesses other than some music construction issues with Moon River and their closer. And these are just minor issues, IMO, and I will discuss those later. Remember that BD won the title in 2019 with a 4th place brass line, but they were top 3 everywhere else. 

PROPS

BD and Bloo get it. They do this so well. SCV missed in my opinion. Boston is ok but I think I am getting tired of people climbing what looks like metal scaffolding. Not sure what I am supposed to feel. Cavaliers props did not help the show. Neither did Blue Stars which felt cluttered along with their uniforms. Phantom also missed with their props. Not sure what I am supposed to feel. We will see what Crown offers but up to now only BD and Bloo have convinced me they actually have a concept and know how to use the props to convey that.  The other corps I will give props to for their use of PROPS is Mandarins. Not bad at all. 

Just some musings over what I have seen and heard to this point. Can't wait to see Crown and Cadets. Despite any critical comments I am enjoying all the shows and the performers are wonderful. Also keep in mind my comments are all from a FLO video perspective. In a way it is highly unfair that I try to make these discernments about these shows. All of them will improve so this is a fluid situation. Peace! 

Thanks for a most insightful breakdown of your observations to date. I appreciate the detail and avoidance of generalizing.  There are many critiques we read who offer criticism but no support really, of the comments that are made.  I’ll not mention them but when they harp on the same point.  It makes me question their credibility or knowledge of their subject.  Not the case with you my friend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I saw a video of the show from a high vantage point. I'm not judging the quality of the performances as I make my assessment, I am judging the design.

The show is awesome. I love it. It will definitely be one of my favorites. The brass is killer. I also loved the guard book and guard unis. I WISH a show like this would win. I wish that so hopefully the activity will take another turn where shows like this are rewarded vs the shows of the last year's top 3.

I'm basing my opinion of what the judges did in 2019. In 2019, talent kept Crown in the top 4, and design kept them out of the top 3. They won music and still couldn't place higher than 4th because their design killed them in GE and Visual (well killed them enough to keep them out of the top 3). I feel much the same about this years show, the design is on par with their 2017-2019 designs. I just don't think it's going to be enough to contend with Devils and Bluecoats (who have those superior designs that play perfectly into the judges hands), but it may be enough to knock Vanguard to 4th. We'll see.

In 2019, I thought Crown had the most thrilling and challenging show. It was my favorite. But, it didn't play to the sheets the way Devils, Bluecoats and Vanguard did. If you don't play to the sheets you don't win and you might not even medal. DCI is slowly killing itself and the sheets is one of the ways it is doing it. I don't like it, but it is what it is. If Crown wants to win again, they are going to have to play the game, and they aren't playing the game.

Well put, and I totally agree with what you say.  The "game", sadly is a problem.  I am hoping that they (Crown) continue to do what they do well, and that others start to follow suit.  I read that many people went into theaters last night where there were 8 total people in there, and this was from folks in several locations.  If the QF broadcast does not do better in August,  I would not be surprised if Fathom Productions bows out for next year.

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

Well put, and I totally agree with what you say.  The "game", sadly is a problem.  I am hoping that they (Crown) continue to do what they do well, and that others start to follow suit.  I read that many people went into theaters last night where there were 8 total people in there, and this was from folks in several locations.  If the QF broadcast does not do better in August,  I would not be surprised if Fathom Productions bows out for next year.

Unfortunately, more and more are going to play to the sheets - Boston, Madison and Regiment for example have really upped their game this year in terms of playing to the sheets. It's unfortunate that a corps like Crown can't win.

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I saw a video of the show from a high vantage point. I'm not judging the quality of the performances as I make my assessment, I am judging the design.

The show is awesome. I love it. It will definitely be one of my favorites. The brass is killer. I also loved the guard book and guard unis. I WISH a show like this would win. I wish that so hopefully the activity will take another turn where shows like this are rewarded vs the shows of the last year's top 3.

I'm basing my opinion of what the judges did in 2019. In 2019, talent kept Crown in the top 4, and design kept them out of the top 3. They won music and still couldn't place higher than 4th because their design killed them in GE and Visual (well killed them enough to keep them out of the top 3). I feel much the same about this years show, the design is on par with their 2017-2019 designs. I just don't think it's going to be enough to contend with Devils and Bluecoats (who have those superior designs that play perfectly into the judges hands), but it may be enough to knock Vanguard to 4th. We'll see.

In 2019, I thought Crown had the most thrilling and challenging show. It was my favorite. But, it didn't play to the sheets the way Devils, Bluecoats and Vanguard did. If you don't play to the sheets you don't win and you might not even medal. DCI is slowly killing itself and the sheets is one of the ways it is doing it. I don't like it, but it is what it is. If Crown wants to win again, they are going to have to play the game, and they aren't playing the game.

I’m really trying to understand what  “playing to the sheets” means when we’re comparing specific shows, because that’s the only way I’ll ever understand how a 1.762 point difference between first place and fourth place can be blamed on “playing to the sheets,” and it’s the only way I’ll understand the logic behind saying that a corps that was a serious contender all season simply wasn’t playing the game as much. Because that’s ultimately what we’re talking about in the case of Crown 2019: a 4th place finish that was 1.762 points behind first. How is it that a corps gets ranked top 3 by three out of four GE judges and we’re still here saying they “didn't play to the sheets” as much as every other top contender? Genuinely. Is there a reason beyond “The show I personally enjoyed more scored lower”? 

I mean, do I get to say that in 2013 and 2018 and 2016 BD just didn’t play to the sheets as much as Crown and Bloo and SCV? Because that honestly sounds like something a martian would say. Hide your pets if you hear someone say that.  

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1