Western Corps Connection

I wonder if the opener will work more for people when they’re performing it better. I like the concept: immediately jumping from the light whimsy of Carnival of Venice to the mellos/trumpets ripping our faces off. It’s ironic. I def appreciate that, but for it to work, the performance really has to sell it. 

I think the great thing about BD is they have some great moments, but their show has so much potential.  I am not blown away by the costumes, but things are changing so I either need to stop #####ing or get off the bus.  Anyway I think both SCV and BD will work their butts off and end up with great shows come Finals.  Right now, I think BD has the better production to build on, but I have been wrong many times in the past so we will have to see how things evolve.  I wish only the best for BD, SCV and Mandarins!

Score Changes:
Blue Devils: +1.20
Vanguard: +0.95
Mandarins: +1.20
Academy: +1.50
Pacific Crest: +0.90

• Thanks 2

This Blue Devils show is the BOMB! Seriously, this show is going to be so fun and look and sound so amazing come August. Visually the show is stunning. I know some would prefer they march more traditional forms and styles, but the level of variety we get in movement, dance, staging and marching is incredible. The performers are showing so much command at this early stage. From a music perspective the show is wonderful. There are a few things I think they will tweak, such as how they get into Moon River and the very end of that segment, and also the closer which needs a slightly better build and more clarity in terms of melodic content. But I was most impressed with the brass performance tonight. Percussion writing is really good. The pit really lays down some nice grooves. The guitar soloist is excellent and the drum set is amazing. AS far as the guard goes, I know BD always has amazing guards and this one is no different. The rifle work is lovely. The flags in the closer really caught my attention. The show is a tour-de-force and will obviously do well. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Narrow said:

Mandarins YET AGAIN closing that gap on SCV.

Something to watch.

I imagine Mandarins will be able to inch closer in GE, but there’s no way they’re touching SCV in visual or music.

• Like 1