Western Corps Connection

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hmm I wonder if the ambient noise cancellation on iPhones has become good enough that they’re now considered an adequate replacement for a traditional tape recorder. I imagine it’s much easier to export those files from an iPhone too

Judges record their comments into an app, which staff can then access directly and listen to on their own phones. So no more trying to hunt down a plastic bag full of cassette tapes and no more trying to find a tape recorder to n listen to them.   It is been like this for at least a decade, btw.  (Although EVERYONE still refers to it as listening to the judges' tapes...lol)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, craiga said:

Judges record their comments into an app, which staff can then access directly and listen to on their own phones. So no more trying to hunt down a plastic bag full of cassette tapes and no more trying to find a tape recorder to n listen to them.   It is been like this for at least a decade, btw.  (Although EVERYONE still refers to it as listening to the judges' tapes...lol)

Smartphones were birthed in 2007 and the app stores on both Android and iOS came to be around mid 2008. I'm quite impressed DCI has been using an app for this system from atleast 2012 if not earlier as that was still very much in the early stages of smartphone technology 

16 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Smartphones were birthed in 2007 and the app stores on both Android and iOS came to be around mid 2008. I'm quite impressed DCI has been using an app for this system from atleast 2012 if not earlier as that was still very much in the early stages of smartphone technology 

As I recall, the first couple years staffs had to log on to their pcs to access the judges comments since it was just a website.  But like everything else, there was an app developed for that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

So far, Vanguard is not bringing the emotion and feel to the field with this program. In 2018, they had it from day one. Hopefully, some big changes will remedy that. 

I would agree. After seeing them three times now, I'm uncertain. After seeing BD two times I am even more uncertain about Vanguard. BD is so good and their product is so good. With their track record, they are my pick to win it all this year. No, I have not seen anyone else, but if you're going to make a brash prediction, predicting BD to win it all is the safest one you can make. Their show just has it all. It's really something.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Chief Guns’ kid just waved hi to us all 

You saw that LMAO! He was waving to me and my wife in the crowd. Every performance since high school, when my son comes onto the field, he always looks into the crowd to find us. I always wear my All White San Francisco 49ers ballcap because it's bright and it sticks out. So he looks for the hat lol. The only time he couldn't find us was at the Rose Bowl Saturday Night cause of the sheer volume of people in the stands. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Are judges recording their notes on their phones now? Or maybe it’s not new, but I’m only just noticing. Caught glimpses of the field judge last night and he was talking into an iPhone. 

A while ago, I found a box from who knows how many moves ago that had several judges cassette tapes from our old corps and had them moved to a flash drive.. HI-LAR-IOUS. My gawd, we were so awful. 

"Your bass drums sound like you're swatting mattresses"

"And there are the mallets standing right up front.....doing....nothing!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

You saw that LMAO! He was waving to me and my wife in the crowd. Every performance since high school, when my son comes onto the field, he always looks into the crowd to find us. I always wear my All White San Francisco 49ers ballcap because it's bright and it sticks out. So he looks for the hat lol. The only time he couldn't find us was at the Rose Bowl Saturday Night cause of the sheer volume of people in the stands. 

Hah!

Yeah there were a few of them pointing around to people then waving.  The camera happened to be on them.  You should go snag that from the replay video!

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Hah!

Yeah there were a few of them pointing around to people then waving.  The camera happened to be on them.  You should go snag that from the replay video!

I most certainly will do that! Glad everyone is enjoying their show. Kids are working their butts off. They were super pumped last night to see that they were quickly gaining ground on PC. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I think the great thing about BD is they have some great moments, but their show has so much potential.  I am not blown away by the costumes, but things are changing so I either need to stop #####ing or get off the bus.  Anyway I think both SCV and BD will work their butts off and end up with great shows come Finals.  Right now, I think BD has the better production to build on, but I have been wrong many times in the past so we will have to see how things evolve.  I wish only the best for BD, SCV and Mandarins!

Uniform delivery was waaay behind. Some of the uniform components weren't used this weekend, so we'll see those in subsequent performances. Apparently many fitting issues as well. It does suck when you have those types of distractions at the worst time (like when they finally delivered our jackets in 1976 at the Concord show), but you adapt and overcome. Color scheme and all is nice, and working well. As always, excited for the finished product. Many fail to realize it, but BD programs are a constantly evolving organism until very, very late in the season. "Blocked in" visually early season, a "once over" refining of major show components/concept early season to San Antonio, a second pass through the show to focus and smooth transitions, then frosting on the cake between Allentown and Indy. Definitely a method that has proven effective, and they'll continue to grow until the last minute of the last rehearsal before finals. Never coasting.

• Like 1