The annual lament

23 hours ago, truher said:

I for one am looking forward to the future of DCI.  When we will have grown beyond shows consisting of whole notes and Arban exercises played with cleverly bent legs.  I'm looking forward to the return of melody and swing, of a complete, engaging musical idea that takes more than 4 bars to express.  I'm looking forward to the day when the tuba section is allowed to do more than quietly play along with the synthesizer.  I'm looking forward to the day when a mellophone player could aspire to play more than 8-count sustains and occasional runs ending in sustains.  I'm looking forward to the day when the main audible difference between corps is not the quality of their sound reinforcement systems.  That will be a glorious day indeed.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Give me a mega lottery win and  you will get your wish 😁

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, kdaddy said:

I've never actually thought about drum corps in this context, but here I am... I've tended toward a really gloom and doom opinion about what the future holds in all manners of life, and I think there is some extreme uncertainty in what life will be like (e.g., namely from climate change). So negatively, I think drum corps may be so low on life's priorities as to not exist in a couple decades, to no fault of GE changes and design trends.

Whoa, that got dark...

Well, I wish I could offer you solace, but that would generate off-topic political debate.  But I think the following question is fair:

If you believe the climate change threat, how do you reconcile supporting an activity whose tours are probably the most unnecessarily extravagant exercise in fossil fuel consumption known to man?

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, I wish I could offer you solace, but that would generate off-topic political debate.  But I think the following question is fair:

If you believe the climate change threat, how do you reconcile supporting an activity whose tours are probably the most unnecessarily extravagant exercise in fossil fuel consumption known to man?

You absolutely do want to generate political debate, as you've done so often in the past. 

So, with regard to engaging with you on any sort of topic, drum corps or otherwise, I'll respond with "eww, no thank you."

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

You absolutely do want to generate political debate, as you've done so often in the past. 

So, with regard to engaging with you on any sort of topic, drum corps or otherwise, I'll respond with "eww, no thank you."

Besides, it is not your job to educate those ignorant in science 

22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m well aware of the custom of loudly screaming at every rifle and flag toss in WGI. The two mediums are very different. In DCI, the focus is mainly HOPEFULLY on the brass drumline, and pit to create music and a mood. Unless a guard feature is occurring, the color guard is SHOULD BE there to support and enhance. Loudly cheering “GO SARAH!” In the middle of a ballad is, well, pretty rude. On the other hand, cheering on a difficult flag toss in WGI is much more appropriate as the mood of the performance is not being disrupted 

Revised that for you 😎

23 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m well aware of the custom of loudly screaming at every rifle and flag toss in WGI. The two mediums are very different. In DCI, the focus is mainly on the brass drumline, and pit to create music and a mood. Unless a guard feature is occurring, the color guard is there to support and enhance. Loudly cheering “GO SARAH!” In the middle of a ballad is, well, pretty rude. On the other hand, cheering on a difficult flag toss in WGI is much more appropriate as the mood of the performance is not being disrupted 

Handing out some PSA’s might help, if you wanna go all the way there, I really do also dislike an obnoxious roar from a rando in what is supposed to be otherwise, one of a program’s more tender musical moments, let the Corps set the mood, I agree. If it’s whole sections of a crowd, or the entire crowd doing it, that’s so tough to manage. I’ve never been to Indy to hear a finals performance at its apex of quality be ruined by things like that so I guess I don’t have to strongest sentiments toward it, but if I did, I’d be pretty salty about it haha

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

I remember getting out of my seat with a big ROAR and "get it Crown!" in Ft. Wayne with the first fly over of Inferno.  People around me were a bit "whoa, he's into it" but it was such a moment with that loud and nasty brass chord sustain!   A couple Crown staff had come up to the aisle next to me and jumped at my reaction.  They said to me after i sat down, "well i guess that has good crowd response GE."  Haha!

23 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Very well said. Anyone using DCP as their sample size to provide a reflection on the state of DCI is seriously deluding themselves. The current direction works just fine for the younger generation. Apparently record inflation, a pandemic, and 2 full competitive seasons off couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the lower audience turnout DCI is experiencing this season.

And those lamenting the crowd reactions of the past, perhaps the younger generation is just a bit more courteous to the performers than those in the past. Showing polite appreciation for the performance rather than rudely trying to become a part of it 

Oh, Cappy. Don't ever change!

The crowd demographics are the same as they have been since I started attending shows a long time ago.

DCP is quite clearly at least partially representative of the activity as a whole, even if it is joked about. It is read.

If you know about drumcorps, you know about DCP. The negative opinions expressed here are actually tempered compared to what I've heard from people who have left the activity because of some of the changes in the past. To be fair, maybe there are a bunch of people out there who are ecstatic with all the changes and monologues on the field today... Yeah, that's what is going to keep the activity going... 

Oh, and I went to Goodfellows with my fiancée and we both think your taste in pizza is terrible if you think Goodfellows is bad pizza. They make that pizza with good quality ingredients, and they actually take the time to properly ferment the dough. I sat in Goodfellows for 40 or so minutes and watched how the staff cooks, and they're pretty decent.  I think maybe pizza isn't your thang?  ( Neener and love). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Oh, Cappy. Don't ever change!

The crowd demographics are the same as they have been since I started attending shows a long time ago.

DCP is quite clearly at least partially representative of the activity as a whole, even if it is joked about. It is read.

If you know about drumcorps, you know about DCP. The negative opinions expressed here are actually tempered compared to what I've heard from people who have left the activity because of some of the changes in the past. To be fair, maybe there are a bunch of people out there who are ecstatic with all the changes and monologues on the field today... Yeah, that's what is going to keep the activity going... 

Oh, and I went to Goodfellows with my fiancée and we both think your taste in pizza is terrible if you think Goodfellows is bad pizza. They make that pizza with good quality ingredients, and they actually take the time to properly ferment the dough. I sat in Goodfellows for 40 or so minutes and watched how the staff cooks, and they're pretty decent.  I think maybe pizza isn't your thang?  ( Neener and love). 

Oh DCP is definitely read. But not in any sort of positive way. Like I said, the older folks who view the changes with contempt ARE the ones still helping keep the activity afloat with their pocketbook, but they are not the targeted audience for drum corps and it’s direction. Look at the r/drumcorps subreddit (of which I know a few DCP posters participate in) and the drumcorps discord for a much better representation of the demographics. Whether we like it or not, the bandos are DCI’s present and future. Just look at the lineup that a small town by the name of Broken Arrow is getting! 

Hah goodfellows isn’t BAD pizza but it is not the pizza I’d choose over several other options available in Indianapolis. Maybe I do have weird taste in pizza though!