A Commentary on Narration

22 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Not anymore, no.

But yes, you can absolutely applaud the building of a musical phrase, the development of a show theme using music and drill, or virtually any visual move—because they are all performed by the performing members. Obviously some are more impressive or impactful than others, and those tend to be applauded more. But everything a corps actually performs is a potential applause point.

I agree with this too. I'm just saying that not all narration of other music or visual effects is always intended for this reason. On the flip side I agree with you about the building of a musical phrase or visual element. I always like to refer to Phantom Regiment when it comes to building phrases and developing melodic content. This year's show is an example. They do it so well and I definitely have my hairs raising on my head and back of my neck when they build musical phrases. But as always it just depends on the design staff and what their intention is and how they wish the show to flow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeanInChicago said:

Do you remember that time you applauded a rotating company front?

Do you remember that time you cheered the unison flag work?

Do you recall ever throwing babies at narration?

BD does a rotating company front nearly every year, it’s Murphy’s signature 

Boston and Crown do a ton of unison flag work and so does BD (in their ballads) 

Bloo doing the recorded narration in the drum feature in 2015 of the Animated Description of Mr. Maps was a really good moment that got a cheer from me every time.  

Their approach to Taming the Dragon for this show is sort of that on steroids to me.  It's not overbearing to me at all but I've only seen the show once so far on Flo.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Narration is not something we the fan can control. The activity is an art form and show designers may decide to use it. In some cases they may use a little or a lot. In some cases it may help tell the story or just set the mood. The Blue Devils use a little at the onset of the show to set the mood. Carolina uses some to bring in crowd support. Bluecoats are telling the story of a dream in which the music helps to set the mood for and visually show those ideas. The Cadets is more Beatnik Poetry that sets both place and mood. Beginning in Times Square and moving across the country while adhering to the emotion of the poet to move from the East of his youth to the West of his future. 

I like it all to some extent. But I realize this is up to the individual. The biggest mistake we can make is to assume everyone thinks like YOU do. An even bigger mistake is to demand rules for narration based on YOUR thoughts because somehow you KNOW that those thoughts are the thoughts of everyone else and that DCI is better with people who only think like YOU.

Then would it be equally mistaken to demand rules remain as is because YOU like it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Continental said:

I noticed that Bluecoats are getting positive feedback for their narration and Cadets are getting bashed.

When I watched both shows I didn't quite understand the difference in reaction.   IMO, the effect is the same for both. 

The difference is 15 years.

The Cadets 07 show was amazing and they were pioneers doing something that at the time was absolutely cringeworthy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

BD does a rotating company front nearly every year, it’s Murphy’s signature 

Boston and Crown do a ton of unison flag work and so does BD (in their ballads) 

This post may have gone over your head. The point was to compare the obvious yes answers of the first two with the obvious no answer of the third. 

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then would it be equally mistaken to demand rules remain as is because YOU like it?

Not at all, and nowhere do I indicate that they need to make me happy and I do not present any rules or proposals on what should or should not be. It is what it is right now. The activity decided they wanted all the bells and whistles to open up creativity for the designers -- and maybe to offer more opportunity to members. 

For me personally I am a 1980s, 1990s DCI guy. That was the era I grew up watching DCI so I will always be more partial to that. I am just playing Devil's Advocate to some of the comments or suggestions about show design. 

• Like 1

It's the Bluecoats 50th.

This show is the culmination of 3 years of intense planning.

Is it too much and over the top? Yes.

Should you be taking this show seriously? No.

Will Blue get gold and be rewarded for this design? Probably not

Admittedly I am a Bluecoats homer but.

1. We need a show that is an escape after this pandemic 

2. I feel that most of the top corps have underdesigned, conservative, boring shows. This show is crazy but a welcome contrast 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Not anymore, no.

But yes, you can absolutely applaud the building of a musical phrase, the development of a show theme using music and drill, or virtually any visual move—because they are all performed by the performing members. Obviously some are more impressive or impactful than others, and those tend to be applauded more. But everything a corps actually performs is a potential applause point.

"Will I applaud this?" seems to be a silly and arbitrary standard for determining what design elements should comprise a drum corps show. 

And no, building musical phrases, backfield drill transitions, etc. are not applause-worthy. They just aren't. Suggesting that they "theoretically" are because they are performed (because that happens to be your standard) is silly and arbitrary. They are components of a show design, much like narration is today. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

It's the Bluecoats 50th.

This show is the culmination of 3 years of intense planning.

Is it too much and over the top? Yes.

Should you be taking this show seriously? No.

Will Blue get gold and be rewarded for this design? Probably not

Admittedly I am a Bluecoats homer but.

1. We need a show that is an escape after this pandemic 

2. I feel that most of the top corps have underdesigned, conservative, boring shows. This show is crazy but a welcome contrast 

3 years of intense planning and the only way they could think of to bring the story forward was narration covering up the brass?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1