Timeless Shows

9 hours ago, lowend said:

Cadets 2000 was the first show that I saw as a high schooler that really captured me.  It was so well thought out, the melodies were full, logical, and flowing.

Yep, this. I walked into my high school band room one day in 2004 and someone had put the finals recording of that show on the sound system. I had never so much as heard the words “drum corps” before that day. I knew it couldn’t have been a marching band, because I’d never heard a marching band play a piece of music like that opener the way they did (never mind the arranger being the same as my high school band’s). The mystique of hearing something like that is probably one of the last examples of pure wonder I can remember from my childhood. How it was so mature and otherworldly and so far removed from anything I knew. I spent the next few days obsessing over a recording I found on Limewire, which unbeknownst to me was from the San Antonio regional where the crowd doesn’t actually drown out the ending. I don’t even think I watched a video of the show until a few months later. I’ve thought about those four descending baritone eighth notes in the closer probably once a week in the 18 years since. Doesn’t get much more timeless than that.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

It's a product of the word "timeless" meaning something different to different posters.

Indeed! When I think timeless, I think of a show that's ahead of its time and would fit in and be appreciated across generations as a high-level show. I don't think a crowd favorite of its time is necessarily timeless, but different strokes for different folks 

7 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Lol come on cap. These shows will be treasured forever.

Let's chalk it up to difference in opinion 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Indeed! When I think timeless, I think of a show that's ahead of its time and would fit in and be appreciated across generations as a high-level show. I don't think a crowd favorite of its time is necessarily timeless, but different strokes for different folks 

Let's chalk it up to difference in opinion 

That works for me- but in my defense I did a post just above my long one about shows that would do well. With Emphasize on BD 08

On 7/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, lowend said:

Nothing prior to Bluecoats 2016 would be competitive now.  

I think Blue Devils 2014 would have something to say about that.  Merely adding plumed shakos doesn't diminish the rest of the production that is essentially lock step with today's design.  There are a few other highly thematic stage prop heavy designs back to the 80's that would generally fit in, but BD 2014 could contend... right here, right now 😉

And for what it's worth... for me, BD 1988 is the most "timeless" show ever... but timelessness doesn't really work with the premise of the idea about shows working today among shows that are all BUT timeless.  I think it's a better exercise to find shows today that would have been appreciated 20, 30, 40 years ago in spite of differences... making them "timeless".  For that, I go for Bluecoats 2016.  They looked amazing and sounded old school from beginning to end.

Edited by cfirwin3

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think Blue Devils 2014 would have something to say about that. 

I'll give you that one.  It's also one of my least favorite drum corps shows ever.  I really did enjoy the accessibility of 17/18/19.

10 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Into The Light . Nuff said.

Still my absolute favorite PR show. When I can say that and be asked why and I can't even tell you why...that means it's because it connected emotionally. 

• Like 1