I need to know about BD 2005

7 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

That's actually really fascinating history. I'll have to check out "They Shoot Horses, Don't They", it sounds like an interesting read/watch

It's a fine example of "just because it worked in WGI doesn't mean it translates to the field".  Yowza, yowza, yowza!  :doh: 

On 7/16/2022 at 9:35 PM, ftwdrummer said:

Though it does have one of my two favorite bits of audience interaction in any show--in the Finals recording, when the announcer asks the dancers if they're ready--"YEAH"--and the audience if they're ready--the audience audibly answers "NO."

[My other favorite bit of audience interaction is the cheer that goes up in Cadets 2007 when the narrator says 'ok, let's do something with no voice.']

Yeah the crowds were pretty vocal back then. There are a number of documented instances of The Cadets getting straight up boo’d during the years they went weird with their show choices.

• Like 3

Times change too . 2005 was a long time ago . Today we have show themes , sometimes from the same corps,  where most in the audience ( and maybe judges? ) Don’t have a clue what the theme and messaging by the corps show designers was . As such , of late the last decade , I wish I had a dollar for every time we have been advised to not to attempt to figure out what the hell the show’s theme and messaging is about , but instead to “just to appreciate the wonderful brass, percussion , guard in performance “. If I had such a dollar for every time we’ve heard or read this posted , I could use the dollars and donate to a corps or two that does not ask me not to think about a convoluted and/or confused show theme and it’s messaging , and  to simply “just enjoy the wonderful performance by the performers “. Maybe we should just do away with themes in shows altogether , if we are going to be ok with confusing audiences in entertainment  . Narration provided  in shows  would help with understanding themes better of course . Maybe that’s where this might be headed in the coming years to alleviate such current unconnectedness between themes and many in the audience regarding shows and what the shows are all about .

Edited by Boss Anova

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

There are a number of documented instances of The Cadets getting straight up boo’d during the years they went weird with their show choices.

please tell me '17 was one of those documented instances😈

26 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

please tell me '17 was one of those documented instances😈

Nah, fans were way more polite in 2017. Finals 2007 is the last time I know of. Things got reeeally ugly that year and I think some fans did some self reflecting after that. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Nah, fans were way more polite in 2017. Finals 2007 is the last time I know of. Things got reeeally ugly that year and I think some fans did some self reflecting after that. 

Which is a shame, because those 2007 Cadets kids could really play. I felt the design let them down: the narration--instead of supplementing--replaced some of the necessary GE development that would have made that a championship level show.

I know all of the BD and California homers around me in Pasadena were REAL nervous that night in 2007, because semifinals had been close and (musically) The Cadets were absolutely incredible at Finals.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Yes it was pretty bad at Finals 2007. Some rather belligerent jerks in the stands that night. I was kind of mortified for the Cadets members and embarrassed with all that heckling from a few rows up from where I was sitting.

Edited by Zeke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

Yeah the crowds were pretty vocal back then. There are a number of documented instances of The Cadets getting straight up boo’d during the years they went weird with their show choices.

I feel like that describes pretty much all their shows from the mid 2000s

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Which is a shame, because those 2007 Cadets kids could really play. I felt the design let them down: the narration--instead of supplementing--replaced some of the necessary GE development that would have made that a championship level show.

I know all of the BD and California homers around me in Pasadena were REAL nervous that night in 2007, because semifinals had been close and (musically) The Cadets were absolutely incredible at Finals.

I’ve always dreamed of finding a studio recording of that show without any narration. The corps itself was so incredible that year and forgetting the narration, I actually favored it over BD’s

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Yes it was pretty bad at Finals 2007. Some rather belligerent jerks in the stands that night. I was kind of mortified for the Cadets members and embarrassed with all that heckling from a few rows up from where I was sitting.

East Coast, West Coast............I don't care. If you are booing, heckling a bunch of kids performing a show, you are an idiot and a freaking loser who needs to get their life together. 

Speaking in general. Not at you. 

• Like 5