Your Callout Stories

On 7/28/2022 at 12:11 PM, Brian Tuma said:

I think most triplets come in packs of three lol

How about most obnoxious call out? “CHRYYYYYYYYSYAAAAAAL!” 

Swiss Triplets technically come in a pack of 4...because of the flam. 

Drummer joke!

• Haha 2

When Boston did their Quixotic show in 2016, they had those giant windmill things. At an early season show in Pittsburgh, my friends and I were following Boston in the parking lot and each windmill was numbered in the back of them and we happened to be behind windmill number 12. Later that season at the Buffalo, NY show people were shouting names and especially one performer who had been local to the Buffalo area. I felt out of the loop so I stood up and screamed "Go windmill number 12!" It got quite the laughter from the crowd and a few smiles from the pit members on the field. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows

17 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

When Boston did their Quixotic show in 2016, they had those giant windmill things. At an early season show in Pittsburgh, my friends and I were following Boston in the parking lot and each windmill was numbered in the back of them and we happened to be behind windmill number 12. Later that season at the Buffalo, NY show people were shouting names and especially one performer who had been local to the Buffalo area. I felt out of the loop so I stood up and screamed "Go windmill number 12!" It got quite the laughter from the crowd and a few smiles from the pit members on the field. 

This is great. I love the mental image of each DCI prop being its own separate entity and each having its own fanbase. 

There’s just a crap ton - too many to remember - from back in the day throughout ths 90s. People weren’t nearly as respectful as they are now, and people would plan out spots where they could “make it on the video/CDs” for Finals. 95 might be the worst example of this, if for no other reason than the sound engineers had absolutely no idea what they were doing and all you can hear is yells and screams throughout. (Especially during 95 Scouts, who of course owned that crowd. But all you hear throughout is this one super shrill female voice just howling yelling at random times in the show, like she’s at an AC-DC show or something.)

My own personal moment of 🤬towards an audience member came on semis night for BK in 98. We were playing the Dvorak New World Symphony material for the ballad to that show. Right at the end of the final note to it, some chode yells out, top volume, “GO 89 PHANTOM REGIMENT!” 🙄 Super obnoxious and obviously meant as disrespect of our treatment of the piece. Also, just a weird thing to yell aloud. Of course, the fact that we were tied with them that night going into finals made it that much more a kick in the teeth and got all of us in the battery seething and frothing at the mouth for the start of the closer (which started with the huge impact from Beethoven’s 9th). Don’t think I or anyone in that line ever hit a more aggressive attack than that first note lol.

But yeah, other than that personal slight, it’s just rando stuff that I remember:

-“GO WONDERBREEEEEAAAADDD” - like 10x a night during the late 90s. Still don’t know why it was a thing, but it was. Usually HS/college age males in the crown yelling it.

-There’s a sort of infamous one that occurred during BD’s championship Finals run in 94, which according to the legend of the story, was repeating the phrase that w certain guard member of another corps had said to a certain BD snare player. (Again, allegedly) They waited until the end of the Opener and right during the killer bass lick before the full battery entrance for Night Streets they pounced. It’s not necessary for me to repeat here, but you can’t really miss it if you happen upon that show.

(Coincidentally, about a minute later in that same amazing Night Streets chart, there’s a one count rest from the full corps before they hit the big impact phrase where a coordinated, just….gutteral scream/yell is heard from tons of BD staff/alums/boosters in that one count. It works too, because it just heightened that big impact so much more. One of the rare coordinated yells I’ve ever enjoyed.)

Like I said, it’s a different (and much, much better) type of audience interaction anymore, although I will admit seeing and being a part of some of those truly visceral crowd moments like the end of Star 93, Madison 95, Phantom 96, SCV 99…they’re just imprinted in my mind and I feel so fortunate to have been there for them throughout those summers. But all in all, it’s a more respectful audience these days, and less of the “sabotage” type yelling at rival corps (which can and did happen bitd).

I won’t go into salacious details about the acrimonious split between my DC-alum ex spouse and I, but I surprised my son at a DC show like this before step off:

His Mom: “Go ______!!!”

The “other” DC alum guy she ran off with sitting next to her: ”Go _______!!!”

Me, 10 rows further back: “Go _______….from your REAL dad who just flew in!!”

The Spectators around me: “Woooooo!!!!!”

Edited by TRacer
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TRacer said:

I won’t go into salacious details about the acrimonious split between my DC-alum ex spouse and I, but I surprised my son at a DC show like this before step off:

His Mom: “Go ______!!!”

The “other” DC alum guy she ran off with sitting next to her: ”Go _______!!!”

Me, 10 rows further back: “Go _______….from your REAL dad who just flew in!!”

The Spectators around me: “Woooooo!!!!!”

Saucy.  

On 7/17/2022 at 11:24 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Didn't a Crossman (?) parent hire a plane to pull a banner w/ kid's name one year?

IIRC, it was Buffalo in 2001, and the plane flew over during Madison Scouts ballad. "We love you, Melissa".