MY MESSAGE & PLEA TO FLOMARCHING

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

MLS made $462 million in 2022, and AppleTV's contract for next year *still* has an out clause if league broadcasts don't increase subscribers to the service.

DCI made 11 million a few years ago, and has managed to get booted off of *PBS* and had to self-finance its own production to get on ESPN once.  

Mike

That’s probably more an indication of competition in the TV world rather than a reflection of the status of DCI. Even PBS is pay for play these days. While all of us think there would be tremendous upside, the folks at PBS certainly don’t think so, otherwise DCI would still be in their lineup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

That’s probably more an indication of competition in the TV world rather than a reflection of the status of DCI. Even PBS is pay for play these days. While all of us think there would be tremendous upside, the folks at PBS certainly don’t think so, otherwise DCI would still be in their lineup. 

Let’s not forget DCIs glory years with PBS was basically PBS using the live Finals telecast as a fundraiser. PBS found better ways to raise the bucks and like a smart business they switched.

• Like 1

Thanks to FLO, I watched more Drum Corps this past year than the past 30 combined.  Signed up mid-June and cancelled the day after Finals.  It was great!  

But this is Drum Corps and we like to cut our noses off to spite our faces. 

• Like 2

Just to be 100% clear, FloSports isn't a small company.  FloMarching is one small niche activity that they cover, but they have quietly amassed streaming rights to many other sports/activities.  Projected revenue according to some sources exceeds $100M annually.  This also isn't the first time they've faced legal action over their billing practices, and I'm sure it won't be the last.  Given the size of the company, I'm not sure the legal actions would have a significant enough impact to bankrupt them, but could potentially force them to re-evaluate their subscription model.

This is a good short read with respect to the overall scope of their business and how it's growing:  

https://frontofficesports.com/flosports-dominating-streaming/

With respect to their billing practices - they're honestly not much different than many other streaming services, SaaS platforms, and other online subscriptions that I've paid for in recent years.  It's a very common advertising technique to show a "monthly" price when you pay for the full year up front.  It helps the average consumer relate the cost of the service to a monthly stop at Starbucks or the restaurant of your choice.  And while it sure is helpful when the terms of the subscription are painfully clear up front, it's also incumbent for the subscriber to read the fine print and be fully aware/understanding of what they're paying for.

The biggest issue I see is the customer service, or lack thereof.  I suspect the rapid growth of the company outgrew their support capabilities (both technical and billing), and they were extremely slow to pivot/react to that deficiency.  If anything, these legal actions against them could also force them to evolve from that standpoint and be more responsive to the consumer with issues.

Edited by rjohn76
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

The biggest issue I see is the customer service, or lack thereof.  I suspect the rapid growth of the company outgrew their support capabilities (both technical and billing), and they were extremely slow to pivot/react to that deficiency.  If anything, these legal actions against them could also force them to evolve from that standpoint and be more responsive to the consumer with issues.

If this is the case, their management didn't do a good job of planning for all possibilities or bring in the talent to handle the growth.

1 minute ago, TOC said:

If this is the case, their management didn't do a good job of planning for all possibilities or bring in the talent to handle the growth.

This isn't a problem unique to Flo.  A lot of online/tech companies struggle with this side of things.  Status quo is to offer a comprehensive FAQ or knowledgebase section so the consumer can self-help, and then deal with any lingering issues after the fact as time allows.

7 hours ago, Lance said:

lol Mike.  

The only way Flo will ever proactively try to improve is if subscriber numbers go way down.  Not sure how much worse it would have to be for me or other hard core fans to stop subscribing or to get parents/families to not subscribe to see their kids.  The line is different for us all.  

or see groups pull from the service. BOA did, and while i have some issues with Box 5's pricing structures, the service has been pretty good and customer service BLOWS AWAY Flo.

I don't want Flo to fail. I want to see them operate better

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

STOP RUNING MY FANTASY!   🤣

Yeah if Flo goes kaput it'd be Box 5.  But I would be entirely unsurprised if there was a season with no streaming in the interim.

I mean...it's DCI.  If Flo goes belly up in early June or mid season, DCI won't have personnel to do negotations with Box 5 until the next season at earliest. I mean, we're talking an organization that can't even get an agreement with venues right to get a crowd into a venue designed to handle large crowds.

I don't even see it being heard in court til after the season. months of discovery, motions, counter motions, depositions yu name it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don't even see it being heard in court til after the season. months of discovery, motions, counter motions, depositions yu name it

It took years for that Illinois civil suit against Facebook to go through the court process. I forgot about it until the $397 check found me in Florida.