AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

13 hours ago, TenHut said:

I was a marching member in the mid to late '70's and early '80's and I never once heard about this or any other incidents. I'm not saying they didn't happen, but I never heard of any. 

People who commit these kind of crimes usually don't advertise the fact.

And the victims, who have been groomed, are confused as to whether it was consentual or not.  This is why it usually comes out years after the fact, when the victim has had time (& perhaps therapy)  to put it into perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

In the 70's and into the early 80's there was a very prominent person that committed similar acts as George Hopkins pleaded no-contest to, but arguably worse and for a longer period of time.  It was an open secret.  In fact, the situation developed its own macabre gallows humor with some people.  We were kids and we knew, so did DCI, but no one stepped forward.  Presumably out of fear and the position of power this person held. 

40 years later, still no one has stepped forward (to my knowledge) and after all this time probably won't.  Nevertheless, this person is proudly listed on Drum Corps Hall of Fame and I hate that fact.  That's the context I was referring to: "celebrating a predator" and a stone-cold predator this person was.  The good news is this person can no longer do anyone harm. 

It is so crucial that we continue to carve our community into one in which people feel safe to step forward.

Organizations for whom these prominent people were cornerstones are seeing cracks in their foundation and scratching their heads wondering why. You cannot build a house on sand. So many people are hurt when orgs are built on the backs of predators.

I'm glad this person can't hurt anyone anymore, of course. But if HOFers are still being protected and celebrated, those of us that were violated will never feel welcome.

• Like 4

As a private organization, DCI should be able to revoke a VIP pass with little to no problem, providing it’s not for a reason that violates specific civil rights such as race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation, etc. It would be up to the person with the revoked pass to challenge it. If you have plead guilty to a crime, you have little to no leg to stand on if you challenged it and you’d probably have to pay the legal fees. 

Barring a person from attending an event who has purchased a ticket would probably be more problematic. I saw that GH posted on Facebook he was attending a show to support Katie. Did he purchase the ticket himself? Did he attend with friends? In the case of GH, if you’ve attended a show where Cadets competed during his tenure, you’ve at least seen him even if you haven’t met him, he would be instantly recognized but what about the others?  I know that I may know the names of people involved with corps, and could even state info from their bio, but I’m not sure I’d put a name and face together. In the case of shows held in major venues, chances are it’s venue staff that scan admissions. They don’t know the offenders in DCI. I’m sure in our technological age it can be done, but I don’t know how.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If you have plead guilty to a crime, you have little to no leg to stand on if you challenged it and you’d probably have to pay the legal fees. 

Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I saw that GH posted on Facebook he was attending a show to support Katie.

Get a Flo subscription like the rest of us plebs. 🙄

Don't put the MMs and survivors from my and other corps at risk (or even the possibility of risk) with his presence.

Nothing constructive to add. Just snark. Sorry, I'm so sick of legacy abusers being protected across this activity.

• Like 6

On 7/25/2022 at 6:23 PM, Cadet Guardy said:

Ouch, really? Bringing his daughter into this? Not cool, nor necessary - why would it matter to anyone? Her participation in the activity has nothing to do with this. She has nothing to do with this.

Him visiting corps housing sites (daughter on or not on staff)is the issue as one blog stated he visited with her group

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thank you.

Get a Flo subscription like the rest of us plebs. 🙄

Don't put the MMs and survivors from my and other corps at risk (or even the possibility of risk) with his presence.

Nothing constructive to add. Just snark. Sorry, I'm so sick of legacy abusers being protected across this activity.

I like term Legacy Abusers 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I knew of staff members dating marching members. It happened a lot!

I really really wish staff could be more disciplined than this when the power dynamic is so imbalanced between the two groups. I seem to have managed many years as a teacher without being even remotely attracted to a single student. I would never breech their trust like that when I'm the one with more power in the relationship.

That said, all kinds of companies have protocols for this and consent coaching is a thing for those younger members unpracticed in boundaries and consent.

• Like 2