AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

9 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Let me clarify this for you: a) no one is playing devil's advocate and no one is defending him, and b) you mentioned his "supposed freedom" above and that is a falsehood. He is a free man and he does have rights. That is the law of the land. This is not opinion. It is fact.

I know you don't like that and I doubt anyone else does, but you seem to be assuming the laws do not apply to him...but they do. Like it or not he is a free man and is protected by the same laws you and I are. I don't like it and wish they could have locked him up for what he did but it didn't happen. You seem to assume we are fighting back against your concerns and nothing further could be true. Some of us are simply presenting this more from a legal standpoint because if DCI is to take further measures they will have to use the same insight. They may need legal council. 

I assume they have already taken measures to make sure he can never be a part of any DCI ensemble in any way shape or form. I would hope they have done this. Beyond that when it comes to attending DCI shows, which has been the greater part of this thread, I think everyone is bringing up excellent points and I do think we should put some pressure on DCI to ban him from shows. Some of us are simply pointing out the legal issues that could arise. 

This is a situation that if not handled correctly could end DCI.  Shunning is free.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 4

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

I support the vast majority of your comment.

When I say "supposed" freedom... I'm talking about his "freedom" to attend without backlash or pushback from the community. Freedom means a lot of different things to different people in a variety of contexts.

The legal system, while incredibly relevant here, is not the only player.

And you are correct. He may end up at a show sometimes and take some serious backlash. Sadly the legal system is not our friend in this case, but while we put pressure on DCI I also want them to seek council first so they know what can and cannot be done. 

• Thanks 6

17 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

The stigma is yours. The record is no conviction, no guilty plea. Nolo contendere means only a choice to not contest the charge (and accept possible punishment ).

The headline is wrong. Asserting that he is guilty under the law is wrong.

right. and accepting a presidential pardon is not just because you feel like it, but because you're avoiding punishment or a crime committed.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I can't tell you about the celebrating. I can tell you many of those participating in this discussion chose to ignore the infractions of leaders of their favorite corps while roasting this one for everything.

George wasn't the first leader to do something wrong. But he was the one least willing to be cowed by the aging orthodoxy that somehow thought drum corps wouldn't have evolved but for him.

while i only marched DCA, i learned about things that happened after the fact by my director. i've spoken out about it and if and when i am in close proximity to that individual, i avoid at all costs. others, when known to me, i have spoken out about, and to comply with DCP guidelines, the worst kept secret no one has come forward about has been spoken of not highly in may other places by me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

while i only marched DCA, i learned about things that happened after the fact by my director. i've spoken out about it and if and when i am in close proximity to that individual, i avoid at all costs. others, when known to me, i have spoken out about, and to comply with DCP guidelines, the worst kept secret no one has come forward about has been spoken of not highly in may other places by me.

I know what happens when you step forward.  You have to call your attorney because of threats.  Whether people want to believe or not, this activity is loaded with enablers who want you to believe this is “old news” and everything is hunky dorey now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I think you & some others are underestimating the power of a simple 'cease & desist' letter from a DCI attorney.  Couple that with the fact that the subject is highly recognizable with his exposure through the years in the activity.  Could he slip into a large event?  Absolutely, but there's a very high percentage that he'd be spotted & 'called out' in some form or fashion.

In addition, the subject has broken the DCI policy of "video & audio recordings, even for personal use, are strictly prohibited due to copyright restrictions based on federal law".  He could lose his privileges for recording performance segments from DCI Austin that are posted to his social media account, complete with commentary.             

someone would have to report it to DCI

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Awkward doesn’t even begin to cover it. 

Heh... I encountered two "awkwards" at the WDCHOF banquet last fall. One of them was sitting at our table. LOL