A bunch of corps will not be in Atlanta. Why?

The published schedule doesn't have corps such as PC, Crossmen, Colts, Blue Knights, Troopers and Cadets in Atlanta.  What happened?  Is this still really a regional?

Incompetence? Well, never mind. 

It's been stated that DCI could not afford Mercedes Benz.  Then there's a country artist scheduled for the venue Saturday night, but I'm not sure which one came first.  

DCI is splitting the SE Championships with NightBEAT on Sunday night.  Per social media & DCP, several fans are skipping the ATL show.  I know I am one of those fans.  The venue is the old Braves stadium & the location is horrible.  Also have to deal with potential weather issues on a show that would normally start after lunch.  The Mercedes Benz venue is perfect for hotel, restaurants, & then you have Centennial Park.  Convenient for walking.       

Hopefully they will return next year.  Here's a link to the article on scheduling.  I think it's under #3. 

https://www.dci.org/news/explainer-how-performance-order-is-set-for-2022-dci-tour

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Incompetence? Well, never mind. 

It's been stated that DCI could not afford Mercedes Benz.  Then there's a country artist scheduled for the venue Saturday night, but I'm not sure which one came first.  

DCI is splitting the SE Championships with NightBEAT on Sunday night.  Per social media & DCP, several fans are skipping the ATL show.  I know I am one of those fans.  The venue is the old Braves stadium & the location is horrible.  Also have to deal with potential weather issues on a show that would normally start after lunch.  The Mercedes Benz venue is perfect for hotel, restaurants, & then you have Centennial Park.  Convenient for walking.       

Hopefully they will return next year.  Here's a link to the article on scheduling.  I think it's under #3. 

https://www.dci.org/news/explainer-how-performance-order-is-set-for-2022-dci-tour

I’ll go if it’s indoors next year.  If not…nope! 

• Like 5

I believe it is simply a scheduling conflict with the Mercedes-Benz stadium. A similar situation occurred in 2017 when the venue was not ready in time to host DCI and the event was moved to McEchern High School in the suburbs. It could have been financial as rental for that facility must be astronomical, and DCI is coming off two years of historically low revenue. However, the Atlanta show has for years been the second-best attended show of the entire tour - second only to Finals. It's importance on the tour cannot be overstated as the majority of attendees are high school band kids, many of whom may one day audition for a corps. It's a recruiting tool, not to mention a bonanza for souvie sales. It's a justified investment, and I'd be shocked if it weren't back at Mercedes-Benz next year.

Shawn

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Old Turner Field. I thought they tore that down. I knew it wasn’t at Mercedes’ Stadium but I thought this was a Georgia Tech stadium. 

Nope. It wasn't torn down. It'd the 1996 Olympic Stadium. They are never tearing it down. It was converted into a College Football Stadium for GA State University.  The area is in the middle of a huge economic boom. It's going to look totally different from when the braves were down there. There are actually a restaurant district there already. And they just opened up a new small arena in the area which I think would be a great spot for WGI.  Anyway that area is completely transforming. 

Currently Under Construction. 

GA State Stadium 

Edited by rchitectburd23BD01
addition
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Old Turner Field. I thought they tore that down. I knew it wasn’t at Mercedes’ Stadium but I thought this was a Georgia Tech stadium. 

It's actually Georgia State University's home field (football) now. It was originally Centennial Olympic Stadium built for the 1996 Olympics opening and closing ceremonies and track & field events. It also had easily the best outdoor stadium sound system I've ever heard. Speakers on poles all around the stadium. They would play things like Also Sprach Zarathrustra and Call of the Champions on the system as people were coming in before events. It was mind-blowing. I don't know if they still have that system or not. Part of the stands were temporary, and they were removed as the stadium was converted to Turner Field for the Braves. When the Braves moved to their new stadium, it was converted to a football stadium for GSU. Georgia Tech still plays at Grant Field/Bobby Dodd Stadium north of downtown - home of DCI Finals in 1984.

• Like 1