Finals Scores

13 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I might also add that it is extremely RARE for the Friday night winner not to come out on top Saturday night...

But it does happen often enough to keep it interesting.  2000 & 2008 come to mind.  There may be more recent examples but these are 2 I can recall without checking DCX

Just now, FaustianMachine said:

Oh for sure, it's absolutely the norm. If I remember right, Phantom 19 was the only 12th place show in a while that didn't drop below 13th from the day before. I was just wondering if we would do this to do all rankings or just 1-3, since 12th place comes with a Finals spot, a Blu-Ray appearance, etc. 

It's really problematic to compare the score of the 12th place corps from Semis to their score in Finals. There are no corps below them.  There are different numbers management influences.  It's not uncommon at all for scores for that 12th place corps to be lower on Saturday than their scores from Friday.  You're right, Phantom '19 was a bit of an exception (and they were honestly better on Saturday night, as they usually are - scores aside).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

There have been countless times where a corps makes finals, then their finals score drops below the 13th or even 14th place corps prelims' score.

I know that's the new norm recently, but if we're averaging for the gold, are we also averaging for 12th as well? In that instance, if 12ths score dips low enough, do we consider 13th a Finalist because of the average? 

Just now, FaustianMachine said:

I know that's the new norm recently, but if we're averaging for the gold, are we also averaging for 12th as well? In that instance, if 12ths score dips low enough, do we consider 13th a Finalist because of the average? 

It happened in 1990 too.

I agree, it's a good question. I personally think once you're in finals, you're in. No averaging needed.

Of course, I also want a tie for 12th one year, so...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

There have been countless times where a corps makes finals, then their finals score drops below the 13th or even 14th place corps prelims' score.

Or....in the case of the 12th place Guardsmen at the 1976 championship.....lower than the 21st place corps at prelims.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I think averaging the three scores would likely be LESS interesting if after the first two nights it’s clear that it would be virtually impossible for another corps to score high enough to make the average work in their favor. One of the incredible things about finals night is how corps tend to find that extra little spark to make their performance extra special. So it’s even more spectacular when a corps comes from behind because of it.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a completely doubled panel for finals night though. 

You raise a good point about increasing the the size of the panel for finals. Though it would be costly (so DCI will never do it), have a 3-show panel of judges for Saturday. 

44 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

Or do you average Prelims and Semis to see who makes finals? Then it wouldn’t matter right? 

Having the 3 scores count to final placement doesn’t work. You could in theory end up with a corps who finished 2nd each night and became the overall winner. That is a hollow win for sure! It’s nice to have the achievement of one final winner who came in first that last night. 

• Like 2