Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

14 hours ago, Cadet Guardy said:

What a complete judging panel sh|t show. If you’ve looked at the recap, it’s all over the board with way too many perf over rep. Rickart being the only sensible one. I’m honestly embarrassed for some of these judges who have no problem attaching their name, and reputation, to their publicly opinionated score.

I no longer have faith in judging qualifications. Naivety or ego?   

yes.

the judges judged their sheet, and the show of the day. previous results mean nothing. many reviews said some of what Fridays recaps bore out were evident live....and the same said for last night. additionally, judges can go back and adjust numbers, so if they put one down, and later performances make them need to rethink things, they can. 

i realize that kind of objective thinking kills every homerism argument out there, but it's true. the guys and gals in green really don't go out there to serve some kind of political agenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

To be clear, what I am suggesting is that DCI still does not know how they define GE. When four judges, two weeks from finals, separate into two clear groups, and their scores are over half a point apart—that’s bad. And I don’t think that’s really arguable.

It’s the caption I find myself caring about the least even though it’s the most important one. Considering it is what SLOTS corps where they are in the end😦

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

And there's more nuggets going to be added to the show ending.  

i keep waiting to hear a certain something in there both rhythmically and melodically. cause without it, IMO, Paradise is Lost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I get that concern.

But the activity can't afford to gatekeep anymore. If corps put on "circus acts" and enough people are happy, more power to them.

There are corps that will never do circus acts, at least not consistently. Their job is to hold down the legacy fort. Others, rightfully so, have legacies that give them more freedom to color outside of the lines. The excellent corps figure out how to do both.

1987 Star of Indiana literally had circus acts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, and that's a problem. You can't have different ideas and different opinions when it comes to judging. There has to be criteria and a set and clearly defined criteria. I agree it doesn't make sense that the GE 1 and GE 2 judges are all over the place. There should be some consistency between them based on a set of criteria. Personal preference should have no place in judging, but how do you remove it? We all have personal preference. 

the GE sheets have criteria. remember 2 people on the same sheet are not looking at the exact same things at the exact same time, even if in the box. 

4 hours ago, MikeZ said:

If you want the 4 GE judges to have identical scores, why hire 4 judges? Save the show sponsors some $$$ and hire 1 GE judges.

If all the judges have them same numbers its "slotting". If the numbers are all over the place, folks complain about that as well. What a thankless job judging must be...

Z

preach

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

1987 Star of Indiana literally had circus acts.

Also,  the Bridgemen of Bayonne, NJ several years before Star. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Since 2015, they’ve had two second place finishes(2015, 2016) two 5ths(2017, 2018) and one 3rd(2019). They had some down years in the middle, but more often than not they are. The caption isn’t really a weakness for them anyways haha. We do have to remember going back 5 years today(beginning of august 2017) only gives us 2 full competitive seasons and some change, and we can thank Covid for that haha

thanks i forgot 19. and i'm not implying they are bad. the percussion caption is incredibly competitive

• Like 1

Just now, craiga said:

Also,  the Bridgemen of Bayonne, NJ several years before Star. 

Cavaliers 1971. 

Yes, props have existed for a long, long time. 

• Like 2