Sunday, July 31st 5:15 PM “NightBEAT: The greatest show on Turf” … Truist Field at Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NORTH CAROLINA

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I'm fine without those too - I want Cadets to do something really out there next year, hopefully they'll have the talent to do so...

I've just never understood people who act triggered or offended by something patriotic - it's like they need to travel a little, red white & blue ain't that bad! I really wonder what our kids are being taught to think this way. Just a concern of mine. I mean that show was about leadership, and does the time make the man or vice versa - they weren't playing yankee doodle for then minutes lol... One of my least favorite shows - but the corps was VERY good, marched fantastically. That guard staff is now at SCV, and you can tell. Drum/Brass folks at Boston. A lot to like, and a little to eye-roll.

Much like most Cadets corps from that time, extremely talented, and quite difficult to march, but just a design disaster. I do wonder how many more championships the Cadets would have had if the person dictating the designs was different. But I digress 

I don’t think it’s necessarily schooling and if it does play a role, it’s minor. I think a lot of young people feel disenfranchised and a bit hopeless about the future of the country. Receiving a college education now often means crippling debt and has now basically become a requirement to even get an entry level position afterwards. Owning a home, the “American dream,” is pretty much just that - a dream - and is out of reach for most graduates even into their 30s. Then there’s a bunch of other social issues (using the vaguest terms in order to stay within DCP guidelines) that the upcoming generation feels very passionately about that seem to be getting worse and worse by the year. All of this is amplified by a neverending amount of information and misinformation and overall polarization of our society. To me, all of these factors are why a lot of the younger generations turn their heads away to anything remotely patriotic; to them, there isn’t anything to be patriotic about and joining in that patriotism is an act of celebration of the current status quo. 

As someone who is getting older by the day but would likely be considered “young” by most on DCP, I hope that provides a little insight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I've just never understood people who act triggered or offended by something patriotic - it's like they need to travel a little, red white & blue ain't that bad! I really wonder what our kids are being taught to think this way. Just a concern of mine. I mean that show was about leadership, and does the time make the man or vice versa - they weren't playing yankee doodle for then minutes lol... 

I can only imagine what kind of ‘trauma’ the last three minutes of Bridgemen 1980 would cause today 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m still waiting for the Animal House show. 

I'm waiting for a Revenge of the Nerds show.

6 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

this is the REAL reason I always talk about how much I hate Cadets 2017. Unlike the above examples, that show is just plain uncomfortable to watch. Having samples of prayers in the show, the marchers sitting on the pews... as an atheist it really makes me cringe. In fact, I'm going to say this now and I don't care about the hate I'll get for this: The Cadets (as an organization) make me REALLY uncomfortable. This isn't any hate towards anyone in the Cadets past and present, but between that awful army show they did and 2017's cringefest, it really makes me wonder some things about the people in charge😳

wow 

Bersnstein's MASS - is NOT religious at all - it takes a very cynical look at religion - I'm not sure you listened to those lyrics, maybe too quick to judge? Here's some info -

Mass (Bernstein) - Wikipedia

I have zero idea what show was an "awful army show" - the Cadets are literally infamous for putting a peace sign in their show in the 70s to protest war at a VFW sponsored event

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, FTNK said:

you defended all those terrible show designs like crazy

lol - I didn't buy into all the hate, still don't. Cadets have pushed the bar way forward and way higher in this activity than anyone else. Hope they get back to it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

the Cadets are literally infamous for putting a peace sign in their show in the 70s to protest war at a VFW sponsored event

Ha Ha Ha.  I remember that!  It was either 1971 or 1972.  Can't remember the exact year, but it was such a scandal/controversy at the time.

"Those ###### dirty hippies"  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CadetPhan said:

I can only imagine what kind of ‘trauma’ the last three minutes of Bridgemen 1980 would cause today 😂

or VK's opera singer, I still see those things bouncing around when I close my eyes - and I was in the upper deck!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Much like most Cadets corps from that time, extremely talented, and quite difficult to march, but just a design disaster. I do wonder how many more championships the Cadets would have had if the person dictating the designs was different. But I digress 

I don’t think it’s necessarily schooling and if it does play a role, it’s minor. I think a lot of young people feel disenfranchised and a bit hopeless about the future of the country. Receiving a college education now often means crippling debt and has now basically become a requirement to even get an entry level position afterwards. Owning a home, the “American dream,” is pretty much just that - a dream - and is out of reach for most graduates even into their 30s. Then there’s a bunch of other social issues (using the vaguest terms in order to stay within DCP guidelines) that the upcoming generation feels very passionately about that seem to be getting worse and worse by the year. All of this is amplified by a neverending amount of information and misinformation and overall polarization of our society. To me, all of these factors are why a lot of the younger generations turn their heads away to anything remotely patriotic; to them, there isn’t anything to be patriotic about and joining in that patriotism is an act of celebration of the current status quo. 

As someone who is getting older by the day but would likely be considered “young” by most on DCP, I hope that provides a little insight. 

I'm probably younger than most too, not a boomer etc. Early 50s... but younger than that in my tastes and interests lol.

Fantastic post! I do think there's an agenda out there being sold (for profit/and power) that, long term, is quite dangerous. For me, the great thing about USA is it's an IMPERFECT union, many things you mention above. We keep working at it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

probably about 5, 2007, 2012, 2015, 2013, many in the 2000s...