ALLENTOWN FRIDAY PREDICTION AND ODDS OF A RAIN DELAY

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Since you have a lot of experience there Jeff does Allentown have a specific ordinance of how long the show  can go?
in 2004 when it dumped on the Glassmen , delay  was at least a 90 minute delay another 45 minute delay to let the corps warm up and then they continued with the show went  up to close to midnight f memory serves 

like most places it depends on how close lightning may be as well as what the forecast may be. in 18, when the heavens opened on Mandarins, the forecast for the rest of the night was torrential....the creek in the park flooded to near record levels. literally some of the tailgating spots by the Ham Fam had standing water in the morning...people in their mobile homes were awakened around sunrise to vacate. the school calls it, and the time i judged in the rain was...god 2008. so who knows.

as of an hour ago, for both nights, at most the chance of rain at show time was 55%, and thats a slight improvement from this morning. with the storms that rolled through tonight, that may speed up the weather pattern, which could change everything. but tomorrow looks hot and humid with a higher chance of rain in the afternoon than at night. Saturday as of right now the same.

but as i have said elsewhere...it's PA. check again in an hour

1 hour ago, spacewill said:

Off topic a little, but why does Allentown split it over two days?  And will the judges be the same for both days to offer some comparison of corp performance?

the panels is the same both days. 

as for two days...i'm not sure. that changed in the mid to late 90's when the entire world class lineup was scheduled annually. i think some of it is because of the lack of dome and the logistics.....no major parking lots, etc. honestly trying to cram 20+ corps in a day would be nuts. i remember they did that in 85 and what a cluster...plus it ws the top 25 plus newbie Star for prelims starting at 7:45 Am, then the top 12 that night at finals.

1 hour ago, Super Don-O said:

I remember when Allentown wasn't just one event, it was a double show all in one day. There would be a prelims starting at like 9:00am where all 20something corps would perform, and the top 12 would come back after dinner for the Finals and perform again. No kidding it was like 14 hours of drum corps with just a couple meal breaks.

Back then a lot of folks would drive to the park the night before and camp out either in tents or their vehicles. We'd wake up to the sound of drumlines warming up all around us. We'd grab some breakfast at the diner then wander into the stadium. We'd watch shows all morning, then head to Yocco's for a hot dog lunch. More corps all afternoon, a dinner break, and then Finals until like 11:00 at night, followed by a full retreat. Those days are gone, but Allentown will always be a magical place for drum corps.

it was only that big in 85. most years world class was split in 2...usually the rest were in Alabama Bless their hearts

30 minutes ago, Liahona said:

A little Allentown lore...

The first DCI East Championship in Allentown was held on July 8th and 9th of 1977. It had been held before in Lowell, Massachusetts, but due a scheduling conflict in 77', the event was moved to Allentown. The rest is history!

That year of the first two day event included 28 corps in competition. Of those corps, only five still exist today; Boston Crusaders, Garfield (The Cadets), Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, and the Crossmen.

01 and 02 moved to Franklin Field in Philly while HBC was renovated

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

like most places it depends on how close lightning may be as well as what the forecast may be. in 18, when the heavens opened on Mandarins, the forecast for the rest of the night was torrential....the creek in the park flooded to near record levels. literally some of the tailgating spots by the Ham Fam had standing water in the morning...people in their mobile homes were awakened around sunrise to vacate. the school calls it, and the time i judged in the rain was...god 2008. so who knows.

as of an hour ago, for both nights, at most the chance of rain at show time was 55%, and thats a slight improvement from this morning. with the storms that rolled through tonight, that may speed up the weather pattern, which could change everything. but tomorrow looks hot and humid with a higher chance of rain in the afternoon than at night. Saturday as of right now the same.

but as i have said elsewhere...it's PA. check again in an hour

Thanks Jeff

and yeah PA weather you don’t have to tell me I was in the cabs for five years 92 through 96

PA has the craziest weather changes lol 

Edited by Triple Forte

5 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Thanks Jeff

and yeah PA weather you don’t have to tell me I was in the cabs for five years 92 through 96

PA has the craziest weather changes lol 

and depending on what side of PA...it can really vary. that mountain range really is a divide LOL.

as i told my 10 year old who is about to attend her first Allentown "pack for 4 seasons....hot, humid, wet and construction!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And that was the moment when Mandarins' electronics sound board died due to the water damage. A staff member's wife drove from out of state, picked up the replacement board for the corps and met them in Buffalo, I think, to deliver the new one pretty much just in time for their next show. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So they don’t announce scores for the Friday Corps until after last Corps Saturday?  

no they announce each nights scores at the end