ALLENTOWN FRIDAY PREDICTION AND ODDS OF A RAIN DELAY

24 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

This is, what i see, the biggest issue with Allentown.  Storms come in fast and there is nowhere to shelter, aside from limited bathroom space.  Most have to run through the park, with all of those trees, to get back to their cars.  A good 1/4 mile, easy.  If you aren’t mobile, or able to handle the distance, you kind of just sit there and hope for the best.  

True.  Down here, they’re in the gulf with lightning bolts hitting the water around them.  Still in the water then boom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Just read that 4 people in Washington DC were severely injured by lightning strikes. So even if it's not rain...lighting could be an issue. 

Yup. They were under trees in Lafayette Park.   Don't use trees folks, they're not gonna be protection for you.   Which its what is worrisome about some of the venues like Allentown if there's not enough 'beneath the stands' space for the crowd then you've got people going out to their cars and often a fairly longer walk out there over flat space too.  The temptation to just 'wait it out under these trees' is probably strong. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Phantom on Saturday if I recall actually had the highest score of the weekend but BD and Cavies weee Friday 

Top 3 scores from both night.....Cavaliers 95.900, PR 95.825. BD 95.650. BD went on to win the quarters and semis and we know what happened finals night.

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Acoustic and logistical nightmare. It would make the old rca dome sound good 

🤮The Hoosier Dome was terrible.  ISSMA band finals there were a cavalcade of ensemble tears because not only did sound bounce around like a ping pong ball shot from an air gun in there, you couldn't hear across the field further than 15 yards as the air supported nature of the dome pushed everything straight up.   So when you DID think you were hearing across the field, you were probably actually hearing a delayed echo of whatever sound.  

We were super duper warned about it and told to stick to your nearest drum major and those directly around you, let the drum majors sort it out, the one on the box will be instructing the ones on the field closer to you.   I remember even practicing with cotton in our ears for some runs to simulate the effect.  

Allentown helicopter story has been mentioned a few times here. Here are some interesting facts related to that. I booked it by phone that morning.

There was large helicopter hanger nearby in Coopersburg, PA.  It was built primarily to house the helicopters owned by racing great, Mario Andretti who lives just north of Allentown. A few other corporate owners used it, too.

Within a span of about 30 minutes from the initial call. The copter arrived over the mountain that can be seen from the stadium. No, the pilot was NOT Mario Andretti, nor was it his helicopter.

The fee for this unusual service was $300. Took about 20 minutes to blow off the field.The fee was paid on the 50 yard line where the craft landed. DCI Executive Director, Don Pesceone walked out with a DCI check.  No, Pesceone did not need ‘duck.’  The blades were not rotating!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

🤮The Hoosier Dome was terrible.  ISSMA band finals there were a cavalcade of ensemble tears because not only did sound bounce around like a ping pong ball shot from an air gun in there, you couldn't hear across the field further than 15 yards as the air supported nature of the dome pushed everything straight up.   So when you DID think you were hearing across the field, you were probably actually hearing a delayed echo of whatever sound.  

We were super duper warned about it and told to stick to your nearest drum major and those directly around you, let the drum majors sort it out, the one on the box will be instructing the ones on the field closer to you.   I remember even practicing with cotton in our ears for some runs to simulate the effect.  

Syracuse dome was awful too. I don’t know if it is better with new roof.

Allentown nostalgia and tradition seem wonderful. I really want to make the trip once, but rainouts would dampen the thrill.

6 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Syracuse dome was awful too. I don’t know if it is better with new roof.

Allentown nostalgia and tradition seem wonderful. I really want to make the trip once, but rainouts would dampen the thrill.

Syracuse is also right in the middle of campus if I recall. 

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Yup. They were under trees in Lafayette Park.   Don't use trees folks, they're not gonna be protection for you.   Which its what is worrisome about some of the venues like Allentown if there's not enough 'beneath the stands' space for the crowd then you've got people going out to their cars and often a fairly longer walk out there over flat space too.  The temptation to just 'wait it out under these trees' is probably strong. 

At least two of these people have died.  Conditions of the other 2 are not known at this time.  😔

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yup, & sometimes prelims lasted 2 days

Yes... and scores were announced after each Corps performance too. This added a level of suspense as corps could see where they stacked up with others to see if they qualified for Finals evening performance. After announcement of each corps score, the score was added onto the field track leaderboard, so if you were a fan arriving to the stadium, you could go to the leaderboard and see what the scores were of Corps that competed earlier. Some corps performed early morning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

It’s a jungle here and if the sky gets dark like a storm is blowing up, I go inside.   We’ve had the transformer in front of our house struck by lightning twice.  We have two layers of surge protection on our house and we’ve still had some issues.

• Like 1