No More Video Recordings?

On 8/5/2022 at 2:06 PM, over60 said:

Now that everyone knows DCI will not be selling videos anymore, including digital files, how many people in the stands will now completely ignore the warning given by DCI at every show about fans not making any audio or video recordings? ("It's the law".) Is there any way to physically stop people from doing this?

I suggest people who will be recording performances from now on begin wearing disguises since we all know that there are video surveillance cameras literally everywhere. Just sayin'.

I just record the streams off flo via the iPad 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, oldestoftheold said:

I just record the streams off flo via the iPad 

Ssshhhhhh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

While people are on here talking about their old tapes, I have the VHS recordings from late 80s all the way til 1992... I think. Does anyone want them before they get tossed?

List them on eBay.  VHS seems to be coming back around like LPs.  There is a market for them!

On 8/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I just don’t know what to do with all these CDs.  I moved on with technology but the stuff you’re left with…albums, cassettes, vhs tapes, dvds, cds…. I got rid of a bunch of it when we moved but I still have some in the 3rd bedroom tv console…just sitting there waiting for me to die and someone will have to get rid of my junk. 

i'm keeping them just in case. i'll have it in my will to donate it to whatever drum corps history museum is around if the family doesnt want it

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, over60 said:

Now that everyone knows DCI will not be selling videos anymore, including digital files, how many people in the stands will now completely ignore the warning given by DCI at every show about fans not making any audio or video recordings? ("It's the law".) Is there any way to physically stop people from doing this?

I suggest people who will be recording performances from now on begin wearing disguises since we all know that there are video surveillance cameras literally everywhere. Just sayin'.

based on what i saw in allentown, some don't care, just as they didn't before

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 9:12 PM, Jeff Ream said:

and they didnt really make money 

Actually it made quite a bit of money back in the day, and still makes money today. Back in the day DVD sales financed all of those big tent movies seen during the early 2000 through 2010. Bluray did make money, but only after the studios streamlined inventory and the cost of manufacturing fell. Today, UHD IS making money, but not Bluray nor DVD. As a matter of fact, the studios (and everyone else for that matter) has stopped putting DVD's in combo packages. Now you get a digital copy instead. 

Anyone who says physical media is kaput has not been keeping up with the film industry (I actually work for a studio). Not only is physical disc surviving, but UHD disc saw its largest sales bump in its history in the last quarter alone. That cannot be said for Bluray or DVD which continue to lose sales year over year. Folks are clearly moving towards UHD disc for high end viewing, and the rest of the public is moving towards streaming - which is seeing its growth slowing. Physical disc will survive, it just won't be as big a market as its been in the past. 

I am 71 years young, I just completed reading this rather depressing Thread and "Reality Check" from beginning to end in one sitting. It certainly has got me feeling "OLD". LOL I really haven't followed the ongoing developments in the passing of Blu-ray Disks, DVD's, CD formats and what was once called "Hard Media".

I personally WAS looking forward to the purchase of my fantasized "2022 DCI Blu Ray/DVD 50th Anniversary Collector's "Box Set" Edition" of DCI's Historic Top 12 Corps, including all Corps performances placing 13-35. What a hell of a "Keepsake," I imagined. Only to come to the sad conclusion of: POOF! went that wet dream. 

But upon serious "reflection" it's been ages since I last listened to CD from my vast music Collections. I actually can't even recall the last time I watched one of my humongous collections of DVD's from DCI,TV Series, Movies, Documentaries, Tons of Touring video collections.

Guess I wasn't playing close attention to the fortune spent in years past on CD's and DVD's. or even paying attention of my skyrocketing Cable TV Bill, and a half-dozen or so streaming services I subscribe too. Yes Folks, Old Habits do die hard.

I still have U-haul Boxes filled with VHS movies, and countless audio Cassettes, and even a large Old briefcase full of Reel-to-Real Audio recordings I made in my "radio days" dating back to the 1960's

I guess my self given handle of "DrumCorpsRelic" has proven to be quite definitive, LOL. I guess the old saying "From Dust to Dust" will never apply to my "hoarding!?" collection of the hard media audio and video recordings along with all the antiquated playback devices...or more aptly defined "Vices," which will surely survive well beyond by dying days. 

Looks like I just may have to order a "Dumpster Drop Off" in my not too distant future. LOL. Thanks for the Memories.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:20 PM, deftguy said:

Actually it made quite a bit of money back in the day, and still makes money today. Back in the day DVD sales financed all of those big tent movies seen during the early 2000 through 2010. Bluray did make money, but only after the studios streamlined inventory and the cost of manufacturing fell. Today, UHD IS making money, but not Bluray nor DVD. As a matter of fact, the studios (and everyone else for that matter) has stopped putting DVD's in combo packages. Now you get a digital copy instead. 

Anyone who says physical media is kaput has not been keeping up with the film industry (I actually work for a studio). Not only is physical disc surviving, but UHD disc saw its largest sales bump in its history in the last quarter alone. That cannot be said for Bluray or DVD which continue to lose sales year over year. Folks are clearly moving towards UHD disc for high end viewing, and the rest of the public is moving towards streaming - which is seeing its growth slowing. Physical disc will survive, it just won't be as big a market as its been in the past. 

they make a lot less today because of licensing costs. it's not like they sell millions of units. 

• Thanks 1