No More Video Recordings?

30 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

They already had a full version of their show up after their first show. BD is way too competent of an organization to not have secured full rights prior to the beginning of the season. Flo, on the other hand… 

yep

Which is why they’re able to take down vids so aggressively this year — they’ve got the copyrighted material on YouTube already. 

34 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

They already had a full version of their show up after their first show. BD is way too competent of an organization to not have secured full rights prior to the beginning of the season. Flo, on the other hand… 

I agree. That is why i remain hopeful!

do it up, Devils!

What DCI should do is maybe make a Kickstarter for physical media. If they sell X amount, they have the funds to produce the items, and you can sign up for individual items or bundles so they know how many to produce instead of just making a blind bulk order. 

I'm proud of my physical media collection as a whole; almost 1200 Blu-Rays and almost 200 4Ks, plus a bunch of CDs that I rotate through. In my DCI collection, I've got everything from 2000 forward, having to pay eBay prices for the pre-LOS CDs and the 2009 Blu-Ray. I already dislike how I don't have a physical copy of the 2021 shows, but I'd be upset if that continues into 2022, especially if we're setting up for a historic year for placements on top of the organizations 50th anniversary. 

Edited by FaustianMachine
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just don’t know what to do with all these CDs.  I moved on with technology but the stuff you’re left with…albums, cassettes, vhs tapes, dvds, cds…. I got rid of a bunch of it when we moved but I still have some in the 3rd bedroom tv console…just sitting there waiting for me to die and someone will have to get rid of my junk. 

I still have ALL my old vinyl -- even the albums my college roommate's kittens used as scratching posts. My tech problem is very few consumer-level amps include an input for turntables these days and I'm just too lazy to order a preamp/converter.

And I still have a bookcase of CDs. They still play on the either BluRay player or the LaserDisc player.

Have you tried eBay?

(Hello, my name is CrownBariDad and I'm a hoarder.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I still have ALL my old vinyl -- even the albums my college roommate's kittens used as scratching posts. My tech problem is very few consumer-level amps include an input for turntables these days and I'm just too lazy to order a preamp/converter.

And I still have a bookcase of CDs. They still play on the either BluRay player or the LaserDisc player.

Have you tried eBay?

I donated my vinyl.  I have mostly have CDs and DVDs now.  Got rid of a ton of stuff when we moved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I donated my vinyl.  I have mostly have CDs and DVDs now.  Got rid of a ton of stuff when we moved.

My adult kids fought over most of my vinyl (except the Carpenters and John Denver). I still have my Queen and Elton John collections, including some collectibles. I ripped all of my CDs except a few very select ones. I still have the complete Monty Python on VHS and copies of Holy Grail in every format. But my DCI stuff has it’s own storage!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

My adult kids fought over most of my vinyl (except the Carpenters and John Denver). I still have my Queen and Elton John collections, including some collectibles. I ripped all of my CDs except a few very select ones. I still have the complete Monty Python on VHS and copies of Holy Grail in every format. But my DCI stuff has it’s own storage!

I just didn’t want to move it.  😂 I can tell you, they’re carrying me out of here feet first because I’m not moving again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just didn’t want to move it.  😂 I can tell you, they’re carrying me out of here feet first because I’m not moving again. 

I hear ya!  I said that, too. A tornado 3 years ago had a different plan for me!

• Sad 3

On 8/5/2022 at 6:53 PM, CrownBariDad said:

Have you tried eBay?

Hi, @CrownBariDad, my name is Greg and my wife REALLY doesn't know how many LPs I have. :innocent:

There are quite a few VERY reputable and affordable equipment options for what you mention above - DM me if you have any interest in conversing about them.  I went a BIT beyond consumer-level with my current (and probably last) setup but I searched for the right deal for quite awhile...

On 8/5/2022 at 5:11 PM, FaustianMachine said:

What DCI should do is maybe make a Kickstarter for physical media. If they sell X amount, they have the funds to produce the items, and you can sign up for individual items or bundles so they know how many to produce instead of just making a blind bulk order. 

I'm proud of my physical media collection as a whole; almost 1200 Blu-Rays and almost 200 4Ks, plus a bunch of CDs that I rotate through. In my DCI collection, I've got everything from 2000 forward, having to pay eBay prices for the pre-LOS CDs and the 2009 Blu-Ray. I already dislike how I don't have a physical copy of the 2021 shows, but I'd be upset if that continues into 2022, especially if we're setting up for a historic year for placements on top of the organizations 50th anniversary. 

I guess I'm new school?  We only have physical media because the dvd player in the van doesn't do streaming or connect to a phone.  My blu-ray player has been used twice in the past year, and yet we watch tv and movies all the time... Vudu, Hulu, Peacock... if you look around you can watch 1940's WB cartoons or last week's Love Island.  Physical media for today's programming is a waste.

Now, that being said, I own the entire DCI Legacy cd set (bought it the week it came out) plus every cd set of Finals through 2016 except for '07, and I have the DVD's of that.  I also have the bluray special editions of the DCI Champions and few other dvd's.

Considering how little value is put on actually playing horns anymore, I can see why DCI would quit doing physical media.