Prelim take sways and surprises. Share yours…

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know if I ever told you but my kid marched Div. II/III for five seasons.  It was a very tight-knit group. 

Wow that's freaking awesome! My son is loving his time at Gold. He has hinted he wants to move up but hasn't ruled out returning to Gold for a second season. It's his decision, and whatever he decides, his mom and I will support him 100%. 

• Like 5

Bluecoats and that "hampster wheel".

I LOVED those guard who flipped around the inside column of the thing while it was rolling forward over on the right 30 yard line!

I wasn't expecting that at all!

Pretty good runs by everyone.

I'm happy that Colts and Troopers snagged 11th and 12th place, but Crossmen and Blue Knights have great brass presence. It's just a matter of design trumping performance.

• Like 1

Even though Flo streamed all of the shows yesterday, I'm glad I went to the theater so I could hear different commentary and watch all of the historical videos. Props to DCI for putting together that judging video at the end! They played into the villain role perfectly. Haha!

I only watched the top 15 on BLL yesterday, but here are my thoughts:

1.  Watching multi-cam when it's done "better" was enjoyable but you still miss so much visually, I will be watching hi-cam today and tomorrow.

2. I am not sure where that bad audio was coming from last night, but I think it was a dead mic. I heard it for Crossmen, Cadets, and then Bloo, but people who were there didn't hear it, so I assume it was a bad mic into Flo. Whatever it was, it better get fixed for today and tomorrow.

3. It's too bad Academy missed the live show this year. They seemed to have so much potential after seeing them that first CA weekend, but they never really put it all together. Hope even with the issues that arose last week, they are able to build off of this season and get better.

4. The 11-14 battle has been so fun to follow all season. I liked the Colts from the first time I saw them on Flo and knew they had a chance to make Finals, but thought they would peak too early and fall behind due to their size and lack of GE/content. But after yesterday, it looks like they have a great chance at 11th place. On the other end, I expected to see BK surge to 11th place by last week but that never happened, and now their Finals streak is in serious jeopardy after 14th place. The Crossmen are right behind Troopers for that final spot, but I felt they had two "gifts" score-wise with a 10th in GE1 from Hestin (that guy has been giving out strange numbers all season) and an 8th in brass. If those numbers come back to where they were throughout the season, they will have a hard time making up those points elsewhere tonight. And now on to the Troopers... The entire drum corps community is going to flip out if they make Finals. They started their season late and lost a quarter of their corps to Covid, but once they got healthy again they found a different gear. I think 11-12 are going to be Colts and Troopers.

5. The 9-10 battle is so interesting. One show is more theatrical and innovative vs one show that is more throwback in your face. And somehow they are scoring within tenths of each other all season. The Mandarins didn't have a great show yesterday and Phantom was on fire, so we will see what happens these last two nights. 

6. I knew Covid set Cavies back a bit and they would eventually make a big push by Indy. That push is happening and now they are right behind Blue Stars with two shows to go. I'm not a huge fan of their show and staging, but I think they will pass BS for 7th place by Finals. I also think Cadets have 6th locked up.

7. SCV's end is visually perfect! As much as people disliked the purple guard unis, that color looked beautiful in that final set. And the guard member levitating... So cool. 

8. The battle for the bronze medal is going to be fun to watch. Two of the most entertaining shows of the season and most likely only one is getting a medal this year... that kind of sucks.

9. Boston and Blue Devils were both ON FIRE last night!! I think they are your gold and silver medalists. As much as I think BD is unbeatable, I'm not going to call it now and jinx them. 🙂  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

GE1 from Hestin (that guy has been giving out strange numbers all season)

Right? It's almost weird to check his scores and see how different he sees things than the other three judges. You'd think there would be more "norming" involved in training and selecting judges. Otherwise, the corps have absolutely no idea which direction to take.

Edited by JohnDF

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know if I ever told you but my kid marched Div. II/III for five seasons.  It was a very tight-knit group. 

Terri, where are you guys sitting today?