Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

4 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

First incorrect.  Second it’s not the drumline trophy.  It’s the percussion trophy.  

No the awards are an average 

5 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

It makes sense because these captions are only assigned one judge per competition. Compare that to GE (4 judges for one performance) or Music Analysis (2). Or to the visual award, which is again based on the opinion of multiple judges.  Each of these captions is decided by consensus. When you win them on finals night, it’s because multiple judges decided so. 

Guard, Brass, and Percussion are different: they’re only assigned one judge each. No consensus. The only way to get consensus is to average three nights’ worth of scores — three scores from three judges. It’s better that way. It means the wins are less arbitrary, because consistency determines the winner. 

Then average the total number too. That’s a BS rationale 

3 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Sure, why not?  These medals don't cost that much and the kids would appreciate it.

Well you have to hope you have enough medals on hand too.

but shen 3 corps score higher math kinda kills your argument 

3 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I honestly don't understand the "BD is the same formula" mindset. Watch Beat My Heart Skipped, Re:Rite of Spring, Metamorph, and Tempus Blue. All four completely unique and distinct shows. They're also some of my favorites😉

That being said, I want BD to do something totally crazy next year, just to see the fandom reaction. By crazy I mean something totally game changing. The next Downside Up.

It’s not the actual theme but the pacing and flow. There’s validity to the argument in some ways but the bottom line is BD is good. But we have to have Blueanon conspiracy theories so some people feel better

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Time to hit the 5 Spot on 5th and Bowery.

With Coltrane showering his ROUGH NOTES all over the place..lol

6 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

if not art, then what? are the performers just standing? doing nothing? not providing and creating? not performing? is music not art? very very arrogant comment. 

The Blue Devils (or any corps) do not create art. They interpret the art of others, and view it through the lens of utility, rather than expression. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I thought that the scoring system design prevented ties after the many ties years earlier.

55 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

The Blue Devils (or any corps) do not create art. They interpret the art of others, and view it through the lens of utility, rather than expression. 

All corps create art. Some of their work is a derivation of one or more other pieces of art with unique and originally-designed visual and musical aesthetic to create a whole new piece of art. Several corps, including Blue Devils created original music and choreography, in addition to the original choreography of marching drill.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TenHut said:

Why in the world are the caption awards an average of the last 3 shows rather than the finals performance? This makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Nothing against bloo, but that's a 3rd or 4th place drum line.

Because that’s how the member corps want it. 

• Thanks 1