2023 Season Predictions

33 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Cavaliers had 79 ageouts in 21...and right at 100 new Cavaliers on the field last night. Should they do well with retention for 2023...look out! 

Not a call-out aimed specifically at Cavaliers, but IMHO one big key to retention for any Corps is to find a way to significantly (like by 1/2) lower costs for the members.  One of the interviews last evening the age-out marcher said this was their 5th year.  At $5000/year (plus travel costs to camps) that is over $25,000.  Glad he was of the means to be able to do this.  But how many marchers can afford this for multiple years?  Especially when many of them are trying to afford college?

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Not a call-out aimed specifically at Cavaliers, but IMHO one big key to retention for any Corps is to find a way to significantly (like by 1/2) lower costs for the members.  One of the interviews last evening the age-out marcher said this was their 5th year.  At $5000/year (plus travel costs to camps) that is over $25,000.  Glad he was of the means to be able to do this.  But how many marchers can afford this for multiple years?  Especially when many of them are trying to afford college?

Agreed. I'm a parent of a 5-year after being a 2-year in DCA. I counted the money as "tuition" because he's going to be a band director and there's not better education for an aspiring band director, especially one who aspires to lead in the marching world. But I know that everyone doesn't see it that way or have the means to justify it. So yes..a huge issue. That when I tried either here or on the Facebook version of here to offer ideas about reduction...I got yelled at as if I'd never been around the activity. It had to have been the FB version. Because if it happened here...I wouldn't be here any more. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Agreed. I'm a parent of a 5-year after being a 2-year in DCA. I counted the money as "tuition" because he's going to be a band director and there's not better education for an aspiring band director, especially one who aspires to lead in the marching world. But I know that everyone doesn't see it that way or have the means to justify it. So yes..a huge issue. That when I tried either here or on the Facebook version of here to offer ideas about reduction...I got yelled at as if I'd never been around the activity. It had to have been the FB version. Because if it happened here...I wouldn't be here any more. 🙂

In your experience, what percentage of current members are planning to be band directors / professional musicians?  When I marched, only 3 of ~60 went into the music or music teaching profession.  Suspect it is higher now.

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In your experience, what percentage of current members are planning to be band directors / professional musicians?  When I marched, only 3 of ~60 went into the music or music teaching profession.  Suspect it is higher now.

It is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER now. I type up the inroduction bios for the new Cavaliers for the Parents blog...I'm saying about 40 percent are Mus.Ed. majors...maybe higher. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I was on an island of non music majors when I marched 10 years ago. They'd be saying #### in terms that everyone knew and I sat there just going uh huh yeahhhh

2 hours ago, college-phan said:

I could see Phantom and Cadets make big moves after this season. Both are going to have nice recruitment classes and are going to enjoy a (more than likely) weaker Cavaliers and possibly Blue Stars as well, although they’re definitely the wild card of the Finals lineup.

Wut?

15 minutes ago, Continental said:

Wut?

Cavaliers are losing long time design staff members and took a large step back competitively this year due to COVID and design issues. They’re definitely a young corps, so if they can retain membership, they’ll be fine, but it’s not looking like an optimal situation for that.

I’ve heard Blue Stars have a lot of age outs this year, but admittedly that was something that was told to me a bit offhand, hence why I said that they’re a wild card. They also never get the respect/hype they deserve in the off season, or at least not enough to replenish established talent. Put those together and it’s not a perfect situation for them either.

5 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Cavaliers are losing long time design staff members and took a large step back competitively this year due to COVID and design issues. They’re definitely a young corps, so if they can retain membership, they’ll be fine, but it’s not looking like an optimal situation for that.

I’ve heard Blue Stars have a lot of age outs this year, but admittedly that was something that was told to me a bit offhand, hence why I said that they’re a wild card. They also never get the respect/hype they deserve in the off season, or at least not enough to replenish established talent. Put those together and it’s not a perfect situation for them either.

It's funny because early season this year all it was was Stars taking a step back because of how fresh they are with rookies. I don't really know the stats or who is right.