2023 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

And so have other corps. Not dissin’ on Cavies but how are their days practicing that much better than any other corps?

There are a lot of improvements that need to be made...buuuut 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1

Just going to throw this out there, and call me a hater if you must, but if BD wins again this year - ESPECIALLY if its by multiple points - I'm probably going to take some time away from the activity. Its so boring if the same person wins each year, whether or not its because they are the "best". I understand how the scoring works and I'm not saying someone who is "worse" should win for the sake of it, but honestly, with a judgement based system, without points being scored, etc. Its simply boring and potentially rigged. And quite honestly it's aggravating to watch. I doubt the activity will miss me, but ill be over it as I have better things to do with my time these days than hope another corps finally gets a better judgement than BD. my two pents. Have a nice day. 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

BD sometimes marches half-time because it looks great from up high, not because it’s some sort of cheat.  People remember BD standing because BD stands memorably. The performers commit to every detail of a design jam packed with variety… old, new, borrowed, and blue. 

• Like 5

I watch to enjoy the art of the activity and the performance levels. Sorry that’s not enough for some.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Drumcorpslife1 said:

Just going to throw this out there, and call me a hater if you must, but if BD wins again this year - ESPECIALLY if its by multiple points - I'm probably going to take some time away from the activity. Its so boring if the same person wins each year, whether or not its because they are the "best". I understand how the scoring works and I'm not saying someone who is "worse" should win for the sake of it, but honestly, with a judgement based system, without points being scored, etc. Its simply boring and potentially rigged. And quite honestly it's aggravating to watch. I doubt the activity will miss me, but ill be over it as I have better things to do with my time these days than hope another corps finally gets a better judgement than BD. my two pents. Have a nice day. 

Deuces. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Drumcorpslife1 said:

Sorry, I’m all in with Bloo, but BD is ####### good. I always want the best to win. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Tank ( Cowboy BeeBop) are VERY similar ideas musically. Seriously, have you ever watched anime shows and how they use these pieces of music?

I've been watching them for decades and ALWAYS thought they were musically connected. Hmmm.

ChatGPT says this:

Both Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Cowboy Bebop are popular anime series known for their unique styles and captivating storytelling. While they have distinct themes and settings, they do share some musical connections:

1. Composers: Both anime series feature exceptional music composed by renowned artists. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's soundtrack is composed by Yugo Kanno, who has created a diverse range of musical styles to match the show's various arcs and time periods. Cowboy Bebop, on the other hand, is known for its iconic jazz-inspired soundtrack composed by Yoko Kanno (no relation to Yugo Kanno), which blends various genres like jazz, blues, rock, and electronic music.

2. Influence of Western Music: Both shows draw inspiration from Western music styles and incorporate them into their soundtracks. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure often features musical references and character names based on popular Western musicians and bands. For example, characters like Dio Brando, Robert E. O. Speedwagon, and AC/DC are named after real-life musical figures. Cowboy Bebop heavily relies on jazz music, a quintessentially Western genre, which complements the show's futuristic noir setting and the adventures of the bounty hunter crew aboard the Bebop spaceship.

3. Memorable Opening Themes: Both Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Cowboy Bebop are known for their catchy and memorable opening themes. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has a tradition of unique and dynamic opening songs for each story arc, often performed by popular Japanese artists. Similarly, Cowboy Bebop's opening theme, titled "Tank!", is an energetic jazz piece that perfectly sets the tone for the series.

While the overall musical styles and themes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Cowboy Bebop differ, they share a commitment to creating memorable and fitting soundtracks that enhance the viewing experience. These musical connections contribute to the lasting impact and popularity of both anime series among fans.

You don't need to quote articles. While not all in as a otaku I've watch far more hours of anime than you probably have in the last decade. So has my niece who's a regular at Anime Expo in LA, with whom I stay updated on recent trends.  "Anime" is a wide ranging genre. You've probably seen Ghibli but probably not Shinkai. Vastly different, vastly genre-shifting. At times in the very same episode. Far, far fetched to call them "variations on an idea" to quote your original post.

38 minutes ago, Drumcorpslife1 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assert that if this BD show does not win by more than two points, I'm probably going to take some time away from the activity. To me, it's about rewarding best performance and the best designs. Rising tide lifts all boats. Above all, it's about the educational experience. If a corps isn't allowed to maximize the talent of its performers and instead were forced to perform at less than that level to appease a verbal minority of the so-called fans of the activity, it's all over for the activity. It's not only unfair but it's sad for the members who give it their all. Don't blame the corps. Blame the system, if you feel aggrieved. Some ppl care way too much about the scores and not enough about the performers or the activity.

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2