Carolina Crown 2023

2 hours ago, kmax said:

Hey y’all!  I don’t usually post in here - preferring to just observe from a distance. I became a “Crownie” in 2013. That show just pulled me in and made me a believer. For some reason, I identify with Crown like no other. They’re like a romance novel I can’t put down!  LOL. 

With that said, a couple of things are bothering me about this year’s show. I really like it a lot, but I’m having difficulty with the drill. It just doesn’t seem to work for me and I can’t put my finger on it. The music is fantastic as always, but the drill …I don’t know what to think. It guess it seems messy to me this year. There are some good moments, but overall I’m having difficulty with it. 
The other thing I’m bothered with is the new ending. It’s not the drill so much (because I feel sure it’s going to change again in the coming weeks), but the music here seems forced to me. The change from minor to major seems abrupt and doesn’t fit with everything before. 
I guess what I’m wanting here, is for you to tell me to I’m TOTALLY wrong and that I needn’t worry. Just know, my faith in Crown isn’t wavering…I’m STILL a believer!

I have always been a sacktig fan, so it works for me.  It does not blow me away, but its a good visual package.  I agree on the ending music.  The entire ending needs an overhaul if they want a chance at a medal.

Sidenote: I find it odd that the 2 strongest performance captions for them seem to be getting dumped a bit.  If they were properly rewarded in brass imo, they wouldn't appear on the heels of 3rd.

9 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

But man...the drill....I just don't think it does much that could reflect what was being played.

Agreed. 

The reason isn’t so much with the drill design, it’s a reflection of the show subject selection itself. Is it a love story, a story of Arthur and his knight’s battles, driving off invaders, uniting lands? Excalibur? Lancelot, Guenivere, Merlin? What is the conquest this show is trying to convey? I’ve seen Crown many times this year and can’t quite explain it. Maybe it’s just too complex of a story to show in 10 minutes. Maybe the final ending will pull it all together. But is it too little too late?

I love the sounds, staging, and execution. All very worthy. However, the concept and design choice is somewhat baffling. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Crownies, I tend to be sparing with my feedback for Crown but wanted to extend some serious compliments y'all's way.

Holey moley some of your weapons are SICK! Solid single handed catches on big tosses? Turn-arounds for freebody galore? Jeez, makin' me blush over here. Some of your weapons' small ensemble tosses and catches just blow me a away. The talent is unreal. Thanks for punching up the standard here. All the choreo is what I'd expect of Rick Soubel's team and those members make that flag work look easy. It's all much appreciated by yours truly.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I was confused to see BAC first in brass, not because they don't deserve it, but rather I just have such a hard time hearing the nuance via Flo/from the audience. The opener brass for BAC is lush, and that closing statement is pure gold, but elsewhere, I just don't HEAR what you can hear in a lot/warm up video from them. I hope it comes through in the coming weeks, because that brass book is awesome.

Brass content is typically a Crown staple item. This year not so as much. What really hurt brass in San Antonio was Crown brass achievement. That will be cured by cleaning and improved execution. What is more problematic in earning the Ott this year is increasing content relative to the challengers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Percussion has been under performing most of the year. One night either way does not tell the story. But the trend is clear.  Percussion will be LUCKY to finish where they did last year (5th). That is certainly not the outcome I want to see but it is clear to most they are still not at the same level as the top lines. 

Nope. Not at all. Incredibly close to Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Boston and beat Bluecoats twice in the days leading up to San Antonio. If beating last years Sanford winner twice and being 0.1 behind Blue Devils isn’t hanging with the top lines then I guess this line just has to win the Sanford before they’ll ever be considered good by people.

• Like 3

Unless I’ve missed an earlier post or got my dates wrong, I think it’s a show day…

In which case, GO CROWN!!!

As always, perc is a subject of much discussion, especially after Sat. night’s performance. 

They’ve got an opportunity to go up against two of ‘23’s, top tier lines.

Here’s to great run tonight🥁👑👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Nope. Not at all. Incredibly close to Cavaliers, Blue Devils and Boston and beat Bluecoats twice in the days leading up to San Antonio. If beating last years Sanford winner twice and being 0.1 behind Blue Devils isn’t hanging with the top lines then I guess this line just has to win the Sanford before they’ll ever be considered good by people.

Unequivocally the biggest “This,” you’ll ever read re CrownPERC. 

Other than another Founders trophy, that’s something I really want to see in my lifetime.

And I’ve already been on the AARP roles for more years than I care to say…

Edited by nsxanax

6 hours ago, BWise said:

i take the key change/closer as some type of celebratory movement .. maybe a battle won or something within the whole legend of King Arthur. and they don’t want to end it dark .. so I like it. 
shades of Inferno again. 

I was thinking something like the first few seconds of this scene.  With chickens, turkey legs, & wine.  
(I miss this series...) 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Not this year. 7th place with an 8th in achievement is not "hanging". I wanted them to be good... but this is not the percussion product. Maybe they will get better over the next few years but this year, IMHO, is done. Cadets had a complete percussion staff turnover like Crown. They were 4th, not 7th. And are excelling with some key Crown percussion folks from last year. The Corps management made such a big deal about this "transformational" percussion staff. It has yet to materialize. Most of you here will not agree. We will know who is correct soon enough.

• Haha 1