Carolina Crown 2023

Time will tell .. but dang. These last couple of nights are impressive runs.  They are not scared of putting it all out there. Imo. This is the show CrownTown has been asking for and they’re delivering .. win lose or draw .. they’ve focused on a primary theme .. not gotten too crazy with any caption and are just pushing it as far as it will go. It’s a bingo for me. 

• Like 5

OK - serious question here that I feel like I can ask in this forum (they're so touchy in BD forums!). And, since I am incapable of brevity...just note that I been involved in the activity in visual writing/instructing roles for a while. I'm not old-school, but i'm not fully new-school...however, I love most everything that new-school brings to the table. So, hopefully that wipes that mode of discussion away!

And perhaps I didn't search hard enough for this existing discussion to connect to, and if so, apologies - but we only have so much time during the fay to wax poetic on forums about drums on a field. 

So...and I say this with oodles of respect and understanding  - but, what is up with drill blanks? Now, before we go into attack mode, lemme offer the following:

• I know this is the hottest summer on record and the performers are in the hottest part of the country and thus, it is very possible that one or two out of almost 200 individuals may be sick. I am very aware of this. 
  • If the above is true - I also know that it is NOT in the visual programs best interest to fill those holes - it's a waste of time and potentially screws up a host of other externalities for something that will solve itself.

I also don't know if I'm talking about the same drill hole or whether it has changed....I haven't done a forensic analysis of my question to that level yet. 

HOWEVER - I do know that dating back to the beginning of last season - there is not ONE performance of Crown's where I can't find a drill hole. Does this really matter? Well, not really - especially if it's a sick member that just keeps moving around. As a matter of fact, the corps may get credit for keeping the hole - which is in some sense, harder than with a member in it. Is this what I think will hold Crown back from a medal? No...especially since I can say the same for many of the top 8 corps. 

So, big potatoes? No...I guess. 

But, I know it's just the drill person in me...but, I see the hole, and I can't unsee it. EVERY impact...there it is. There it is again. Who is this person? And again, maybe it's just sick member trading spots and everything will solve itself once they get out of the armpit. But I said that least season, and by golly gee...they went into finals with a hole. And in that case, I understand why it was there, but I can't understand not making the aesthetic fixes at key moments - to me, if the problem is NOT going to fix itself, then it IS worth the time and effort. 

I dunno - I really am asking for the real-real, because I don't know. I truly hope and believe that it is an ill member, or someone that had to sit the night out - well, that doesn't sound right. I don't hope any members are ill, for the record. But if what I'm seeing is just the one fractional individual taking a breather - I wish them the best, and hope that everyone returns to the field. IF NOT, what gives? There is no way that Crown, or any other top corps can't fill the hole. Last season, the persistence of that hole kinda encapsulated the whole season (lots of wholes/holes in that sentence) - kinda this untouchable vibe whose lack of touch-up and updating made the show...well, touchable. But, that's not this season, at all. So, I'm curious as to where this possibly insigniifcant issue lies...especially as these corps roll through the final stages of tour where Crown is CLEARLY deviating from their path last season and throwing everything (including the farm) into the final push.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bneat said:

OK - serious question here that I feel like I can ask in this forum (they're so touchy in BD forums!). And, since I am incapable of brevity...just note that I been involved in the activity in visual writing/instructing roles for a while. I'm not old-school, but i'm not fully new-school...however, I love most everything that new-school brings to the table. So, hopefully that wipes that mode of discussion away!

And perhaps I didn't search hard enough for this existing discussion to connect to, and if so, apologies - but we only have so much time during the fay to wax poetic on forums about drums on a field. 

So...and I say this with oodles of respect and understanding  - but, what is up with drill blanks? Now, before we go into attack mode, lemme offer the following:

• I know this is the hottest summer on record and the performers are in the hottest part of the country and thus, it is very possible that one or two out of almost 200 individuals may be sick. I am very aware of this. 
  • If the above is true - I also know that it is NOT in the visual programs best interest to fill those holes - it's a waste of time and potentially screws up a host of other externalities for something that will solve itself.

I also don't know if I'm talking about the same drill hole or whether it has changed....I haven't done a forensic analysis of my question to that level yet. 

HOWEVER - I do know that dating back to the beginning of last season - there is not ONE performance of Crown's where I can't find a drill hole. Does this really matter? Well, not really - especially if it's a sick member that just keeps moving around. As a matter of fact, the corps may get credit for keeping the hole - which is in some sense, harder than with a member in it. Is this what I think will hold Crown back from a medal? No...especially since I can say the same for many of the top 8 corps. 

But, I know it's just the drill person in me...but, I see the hole, and I can't unsee it. EVERY impact...there it is. There it is again. Who is this person? And again, maybe it's just sick member trading spots and everything will solve itself once they get out of the armpit. But I said that least season, and by golly gee...they went into finals with a hole. And in that case, I understand why it was there, but I can't understand not making the aesthetic fixes at key moments - to me, if the problem is NOT going to fix itself, then it IS worth the time and effort. 

I dunno - I really am asking for the real-real, because I don't know. I truly hope and believe that it is an ill member, or someone that had to sit the night out - well, that doesn't sound right. I don't hope any members are ill, for the record. But if what I'm seeing is just the one fractional individual taking a breather - I wish them the best, and hope that everyone returns to the field. IF NOT, what gives? There is no way that Crown, or any other top corps can't fill the hole. Last season, the persistence of that hole kinda encapsulated the whole season (lots of wholes/holes in that sentence) - kinda this untouchable vibe whose lack of touch-up and updating made the show...well, touchable. But, that's not this season, at all. So, I'm curious as to where this possibly insigniifcant issue lies...especially as these corps roll through the final stages of tour where Crown is CLEARLY deviating from their path last season and throwing everything (including the farm) into the final push.

We have yet to even hit the Southeast Regional yet let alone the Eastern regional. This season is far from close to being over. 

Are you suggesting these holes are affecting their scores? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bneat said:

Last year, the hole was the trumpet soloist who had a boot on his foot. This year, the hole is the French horn soloist who has a boot on his foot. However, it looked to me from the San Antonio stream like that hole was filled, so we should be good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sholeo said:

Last year, the hole was the trumpet soloist who had a boot on his foot. This year, the hole is the French horn soloist who has a boot on his foot. However, it looked to me from the San Antonio stream like that hole was filled, so we should be good.

Yah - stupid feet...and boots. These pics were from Mesquite on 7/24. Fully admit that some of these may just be performance issues...but, some are definitely a hole. 

bfddad_4868c76a504c4eb997c7196a86a89fec~bfddad_1b01cc29d99d418c98c13fca9a0efa87~bfddad_24eb8556d14349809212333efbab5c97~bfddad_af2986c51966453abdbb0d0f5e03c939~

Yet, at the end of the opener....I can't really find it. bfddad_43ff7f9b09c0477694173e92bc2fafb1~

So, maybe...work in progress?

bn

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

We have yet to even hit the Southeast Regional yet let alone the Eastern regional. This season is far from close to being over. 

Are you suggesting these holes are affecting their scores? 

Agreed...absolutely. And, maybe it's in the fix. And, if the same darn thing didn't persist last season and not really be resolved, I'd stay mum. But, I found last seasons situation to be crazy - they knew that was gonna be there. Just take the time to smooth out some of those real obvious points. 

And, re: scores - I honestly don't know. I don't know how the sheets react to that. Lilke I said, the members are doing a harder job, but from an analysis standpoint...I dunno. The visual person in me can't unsee it, and so, even from an effect standpoint...should that be what I'm thinking through the show? Doubt it. Then again, thankfully, everyone isn't me, so....they may not care! HEHE

I know judges have to work with what they have and with what's possible. Like, a judge can't say - wow, this would be great if you had 900 horns on the field. So, judges have to ride the line between talking about that which is fixable, manageable, possible...etc. I just wonder if judges ignore it, assuming it's an aberration, until you show up on Saturday night and....there it is. 

And yes, the season is, well, not young. It's mid-aged. But, we all know, it's tricky. Yes, two regionals left, but boy that happens fast...as compared to the road towards San Antonio. 

And, more importantly - I don't want time to be taken away from MAKING THE #### CROWN IN THE SEASON ABOUT THE CROWN!

Just sayin. 🙂 Cheers. 

bn

I thought I saw 2 holes last night 🤡
Yep 2 last night for sure  

👑 We must have the Crown!! 👑

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1