Carolina Crown 2023

I’m confident the team they have can look back at what Crown’s identity was and look around the activity and learn how a rolled out reveal and layer works. 

They’re some of the best in the business 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I’m confident the team they have can look back at what Crown’s identity was and look around the activity and learn how a rolled out reveal and layer works. 

They’re some of the best in the business 

Truth. Just not the same style .. they are well within or beyond the leagues of Potter et al.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

I'm not sure we can compare this to Inferno. How much of the design staff is even around today? 

I think this show is, sadly, destined for 4th and it is probably time to stop wishing for a Hail Mary, accepting that, and just enjoying this great show. 

Here's an example of my rage history (and I mean rage - mean Tweeting DCI, swearing I was done with DCI, etc..... It was CRAZY. Seriously. The anger and rage was crazy and just ruined seasons for me).

2007 - thought Cadets should have won

2009 - thought Crown should have won

2012 - thought Crown should have won

2015 - was furious Crown didn't win (this one still stings)

2017 - thought Vanguard should have won

*** you see a pattern here ***

2019 - was disappointed Bluecoats didn't win, but started to realize I'm not a judge and nor am I qualified to judge one caption let alone all. Accepted that BD doesn't do the same show every year, doesn't have the judges in their pockets, and doesn't just do scatter-drill the whole show. Recognized BD for what they exemplified - Greatness. My anti-BD bias ended, after decades. Still, I want anyone to win but them, but I'm not bruised and battered over it anymore.

2022 - just enjoyed the shows. 

Again, I love speculating and predicting what's going to win and place where, but I don't let it bother me anymore and it's so freeing.

Haha 2007- agree

2009- disagree. Great jump for Crown but not quite a championship show. 1930 is really cool BTW.

2010- mad world ❤️

2012- Crown won in my heart but shot themselves in the foot with percussion.

2015- literally any of 4 corps could have won. Any of them. And it was a weak BD show comparatively until they brought the live little girl in- bit still not a tie breaker for me.

2017- disagree oroboros was executed well but a snoozefest. ...it is from Crown was awful. I'm much more upset about the cavies over bloo. BD earned this one.

2019- this is Bluecoats highest scoring show of all time. Just sayin'

2022- BD weathered the pandemic the best and showed it. Bluecoats were good but the show was a little too extra and BAC needed more with the design.

I do think this year is like 2015 where any of 4 shows could win. BD has the gap right now and they did start off the season stronger than the other 3 making it hard to catch up. But they are all great shows with extremely talented MMs. Crown deserves a medal this year with a great, entertaining show and smooth as butter hornline. There is work to do though. The competition is stiffer with Boston in the mix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

I get that, but do we even have the same design team in place to do that? 2015 was genius. I too, early season, thought the show was so disappointing, but by the end it was sensational. I'm just don't think we can think the same is going to happen with this show, because (assuming we have a different design team now) this design team isn't in the same league as that design team.

Crown had amazing designs 2007 to 2016 IMO, but something fell off after 2016 and to me there hasn't been a winning design since.

Yeah .. I think there is a little revisionist history here .. 2007 was a 6th place show .. and there are quite a few 4th place and a 5th in there so strictly from a scoring perspective.. I don’t think that team was the design wonder kids you mention. Matter of fact Crown got the same comments about not being able to design a show back in those days.  Yes crowd favorites and enjoyable shows .. but they did not translate to the sheets that often.  And the competitive stage is set a little differently now… and the rules are different. So kinda not even an even comparison.. at least to me. And are they really doing that different of work at BAC .. not really .. corps takes a big new direction and moves up. They’ll top out there too. Which they did at Crown. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BWise said:

Yeah .. I think there is a little revisionist history here .. 2007 was a 6th place show .. and there are quite a few 4th place and a 5th in there so strictly from a scoring perspective.. I don’t think that team was the design wonder kids you mention. Matter of fact Crown got the same comments about not being able to design a show back in those days.  Yes crowd favorites and enjoyable shows .. but they did not translate to the sheets that often.  And the competitive stage is set a little differently now… and the rules are different. So kinda not even an even comparison.. at least to me. And are they really doing that different of work at BAC .. not really .. corps takes a big new direction and moves up. They’ll top out there too. Which they did at Crown. 

You raise good points. However, the design team from 2008-2016 did design shows that were competitive for the era in which they were designed for. They won in 2013 (with a show I knew was going to win the moment I saw them at Stanford) and almost won in 2015 (and 2016 they were right there). 2014 was kind of a dud, and we can cetainly criticize 2010 and 2011 as well (but those were really growing pains), but it still was in line with what was winning at the time. 2017 to today, the shows just haven't been designed in line with what is winning. 

We've seen this team at BAC be more successful at Crown for two years now. I could argue that BAC's 2017, 2018 and 2019 shows were better designed than Crown's were. The difference those years is Crown's talent kept them above BAC. Now that the talent field has evened out Crown has fallen behind because of design.

I will end with - Boston's show to me this year is forgettable. Crown's is unforgettable. 

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Haha 2007- agree

2009- disagree. Great jump for Crown but not quite a championship show. 1930 is really cool BTW.

2010- mad world ❤️

2012- Crown won in my heart but shot themselves in the foot with percussion.

2015- literally any of 4 corps could have won. Any of them. And it was a weak BD show comparatively until they brought the live little girl in- bit still not a tie breaker for me.

2017- disagree oroboros was executed well but a snoozefest. ...it is from Crown was awful. I'm much more upset about the cavies over bloo. BD earned this one.

2019- this is Bluecoats highest scoring show of all time. Just sayin'

2022- BD weathered the pandemic the best and showed it. Bluecoats were good but the show was a little too extra and BAC needed more with the design.

I do think this year is like 2015 where any of 4 shows could win. BD has the gap right now and they did start off the season stronger than the other 3 making it hard to catch up. But they are all great shows with extremely talented MMs. Crown deserves a medal this year with a great, entertaining show and smooth as butter hornline. There is work to do though. The competition is stiffer with Boston in the mix.

I don't think I was clear. I'm not saying, in that orginal post, that BD shouldn't have won those years. I am saying at the time I didn't think BD should have won. My opinion today is the exact opposite. They have deserved everything they have gotten.

Oroboros was spectacular. It is one of my alltime favorite shows. But that's the beauty of art, we each like different things.

I agree that 2023 is not another 2015. Crown does deserve a medal, and so do Bluecoats, BD and Boston. This is really a tough season. I do think the race is on for the silver and bronze, and I'd love to see Bluecoats and Crown snag them, but Crown's recent history has taught me to expect 4th and that's what I'm expecting this year.

2 hours ago, Sensioto said:

I will die hoping for better things for Crown and will die crunching numbers because I like it and it's fun. 

It is fun, and sometimes being wrong is more fun than being right. In this case, I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, BWise said:

Truth. Just not the same style .. they are well within or beyond the leagues of Potter et al.  

I liked this even though I don't understand what it means 🙂

2 hours ago, Sensioto said:

Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. - King Arthur or something

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905. From the series Great Ideas of Western Man

….but I definitely like where you’re goin’ with that👍