Phantom Regiment 2023

I have watched and enjoyed DCI for close to 30 years. I never marched (life decisions and ability kept me out) but I kept up as much as I could and have enjoyed Regiment almost the whole time during this 30 years.  I also have someone who currently marches in the show so I am a bit biased.

What I don't get is the comments in this forum from many that say things like BS/Cavies have more of an upside on Regiment. Can someone explain how a corps who is 3 points below another corps and the gap is being widened have a higher upside?

I know changes happen throughout the year for ALL Corps to improve their scores (this they swing and miss or things that worked so well they want to enhance those moments) but do people think BS/Cavies staff will make the needed improvements but Regiment wont?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SJugster said:

I have watched and enjoyed DCI for close to 30 years. I never marched (life decisions and ability kept me out) but I kept up as much as I could and have enjoyed Regiment almost the whole time during this 30 years.  I also have someone who currently marches in the show so I am a bit biased.

What I don't get is the comments in this forum from many that say things like BS/Cavies have more of an upside on Regiment. Can someone explain how a corps who is 3 points below another corps and the gap is being widened have a higher upside?

I know changes happen throughout the year for ALL Corps to improve their scores (this they swing and miss or things that worked so well they want to enhance those moments) but do people think BS/Cavies staff will make the needed improvements but Regiment wont?

I have to agree with you in that there are always a lot of assumptions at this point in the season, but the truth is no one knows for sure. It’s an educated guess at best, but could be considered more of crap shoot this year, especially with all the new staff. Who could have guessed they’d end up ahead of Cavies last year on finals night? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SJugster said:

Oversimplifying: If you look at the detailed breakdowns per judge, each gives a score for repertoire/content and performance/achievement. The first part scores the design (what they are doing) and the other part scores the performance (how well they are doing).

The theory is that if a group has higher repertoire/content early in the early season but lower performance/achievement early on, they may have more "room to grow" assuming they are able to clean and perform at least as well as their competition. 

So, if two groups perform "equally", the design can decide who places higher.

Those who crunch the numbers more can correct me if I've missed it. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that "Wedge" collage.  That was great to watch.  One takeaway, That Denver crowd was incredible in 2004.  Huge and super enthusiastic.  That was a great finals.  I miss those epic outdoor Finals crowds & the more collective, electric atmosphere vs the Oil Can, but I digress.  Can't wait to see Regiment in Denton!

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, SJugster said:

It is not unusual for one corps to be a point or two behind another early and come out on top at the end. Last year both Blue Stars and Phantom were beaten by Cavies by about two points, a little more in the Blue Stars case. Both corps beat the Cavaliers in the finals. The Blue Stars and Cavaliers had a 4.6-point swing first show to the finals. However, people posting about "room to grow" are really just guessing so I would not put too much thought into it. The picture will be clearer tonight. If the spreads open, that is good for Phantom. If they tighten, we may have more of a dog fight. 

On 7/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, SJugster said:

Shocking news for some I do check this topic and dont hate phantom.  But an easy answer is look at the caption spread.  BS have 6 points between content and achievement in guard where Phantom has 2 points.  So over time when BS clean it closes the overall spread.  Most of BS subcaptions have 4 points or more while Phantom has3 or less.  Pretty much says Phantom is clean and achieving what they have well and BS are doing hard stuff but isnt clean yet.  My personal opinion is also once you clean stuff your content is more noticeable and will increase more. Can phantom carry this lead all season? yes.  Can they lose it? also yes.  Really its how well can the staffs educate the members to make their show the best it can be and time will tell.  But this is going to be a good season that already down to like a month left.

image.png

On 7/6/2023 at 11:31 AM, TexasPRfan said:

Thanks for that "Wedge" collage.  That was great to watch.  One takeaway, That Denver crowd was incredible in 2004.  Huge and super enthusiastic.  That was a great finals.  I miss those epic outdoor Finals crowds & the more collective, electric atmosphere vs the Oil Can, but I digress.  Can't wait to see Regiment in Denton!

I too miss the “frank is an american bad@ss” of it all … 

• Like 1