Phantom Regiment 2023

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

A more informative discussion than we've seen this season. But I'm glad these guys can design better than they can discuss their designs.

My biggest takeaway is that he asks the students how they would interact with props, and that helps guide their use. 

On 7/9/2023 at 8:53 AM, SJugster said:

what I am being told about the percussion scores is that they are behind the brass so often that judges aren't getting enough of a read on them. It makes sense when you look at BAC and how many percussion breaks they have compared to PR.

Changes are going in to try and help this from what I hear.

Well then, get your lazy butts down on the field like the 'good old days' and risk getting trampled. As far as the number of percussion breaks goes, I for one find them to be a distraction more than a compliment. It seems (to this dino) percussion breaks are used as a time for the brass players to, 1. move props 2. emote 3. bug stomp 4. whatever. I'd rather hear a musical phrase carried out than interrupted by percussion. (I did say I was a dino, didn't I?)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Well then, get your lazy butts down on the field like the 'good old days' and risk getting trampled. As far as the number of percussion breaks goes, I for one find them to be a distraction more than a compliment. It seems (to this dino) percussion breaks are used as a time for the brass players to, 1. move props 2. emote 3. bug stomp 4. whatever. I'd rather hear a musical phrase carried out than interrupted by percussion. (I did say I was a dino, didn't I?)

You tell ‘em, man!

2 hours ago, Rocketman said:

WGI’s influence is progressing.  It’s not enough for the percussion to compliment the home book and theme of the show, and have a couple features of their own.  Before long brass instruments will be seen and not heard.  

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

WGI’s influence is progressing.  It’s not enough for the percussion to compliment the home book and theme of the show, and have a couple features of their own.  Before long brass instruments will be seen and not heard.  

Agreed. I like WGI. I just don't like that it has infected DCI. If I were a brass player today, I'd be a little miffed that my brass playing expertise has taken a backseat to things unrelated to my ability to play said instrument.

I have to wonder what the 2026 alumni corps production will look like. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Agreed. I like WGI. I just don't like that it has infected DCI. If I were a brass player today, I'd be a little miffed that my brass playing expertise has taken a backseat to things unrelated to my ability to play said instrument.

I have to wonder what the 2026 alumni corps production will look like. 

Alumni corps of this generation all have plenty of great music to play. The bigger question is: if drum corps lasts 20-25+ more years, what will alumni corps have at their disposal to play (that the audience can recognize and enjoy listening to)?? 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, billj said:

Alumni corps of this generation all have plenty of great music to play. The bigger question is: if drum corps lasts 20-25+ more years, what will alumni corps have at their disposal to play (that the audience can recognize and enjoy listening to)?? 

Elsa’s!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2