The Cavaliers 2023

A great improvement from the last viewing. The musical ideas are coming together more and it was visually a lot cleaner. Sometimes the music is still a bit busy and the ending musically is a bit underwhelming and I hope there is a change coming there. Other than that, it's so nice to catch all the throwbacks and I think this could be a good powerhouse show. 

• Like 2

I got a chance to see the cavaliers last night. To be fair I was in my car and listening through my phone since I've been traveling to Hilton Head South Carolina. So take that for what it is but I thought what I saw was a huge improvement with the cavaliers program. I think the front end of the show especially the opener through the the John Rutter is really good. It simply needs more work in terms of musical expression so that it doesn't feel constantly loud.

I don't know that I would change a lot visually with the opener other than maybe that opening triangle in the first hit of the John Rutter. Perhaps a little to bland for this wonderful vocal work.

The middle portion of the show speaks better visually and the musical motifs are very pronounced and audible but it needs shaped. That is coming for sure. I love the way they're playing the West side story Somewhere.

As they head into the closer they do need to do some visual work on how they get into the diagonal company front. Right now it's too noticeable...predictable. this will likely need reworked to make the build more emotional. 

In general the show has so much material and such a demanding brass book that they'll have to find a way to smooth things out. Some things need hosed. There is more than enough "meat" in this brass book. I think they are letting the brass blow very powerfully for now. Most likely to build endurance. As they add the nuances and dynamics the musical book should sing wonderfully. 

The percussions section is just stunning and the guard is really coming around.

In general there's a lot of material in this show and there's a lot of room for them to just start hosing some things, tighten up the music book, add the finesse readjust a few visual elements. The show has a huge upside but for now it's a bit bombastic. If they get this right the fans will love it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The sheets are clear and consistent that individual member visual technique and performance is what's holding them back. The judges seem ok with the musical book, and percussion is doing more than their part in upholding the expectations, but the visual team is going to have to knuckle down hard and now in order to keep them within reach of Top 7 (and even then, they'll have their work cut out for them).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The sheets are clear and consistent that individual member visual technique and performance is what's holding them back. The judges seem ok with the musical book, and percussion is doing more than their part in upholding the expectations, but the visual team is going to have to knuckle down hard and now in order to keep them within reach of Top 7 (and even then, they'll have their work cut out for them).

That is definitely fair enough. 

With all honesty, I'm not afraid of the corps currently above them. I just hope everyone is safe during their travels.