Madison Scouts 2023

I watched the video that was uploaded. There are plenty of positives to take away from this, but first I will touch on a few things that need work. 

• The show is not complete yet. Closer is not on the field yet. Not uncommon for this time of the year. 
  • Marching needs lots of work and forms often feel cluttered
  • Musically the opener has lots of notes and runs but no real melody is coming through. Lots of corps do this but the trick is to work it into something bigger.
  • Guard seems to only have about half the show learned

Positives

• I really like the music from the 2nd tune onward. The brass book is definitely on the difficult side. This is not a bad thing. As it cleans it will make more sense and they can water some things down as needed. 
  • The closer that was played in stand still could be BIG and should provide a great Madison style closer
  • I love the use of the trombones. They are using trombone in a more musical way and not just for glissandos and other effects. They do have a few glissandos but not too much, and the one ensemble trombone feature they had was very cool. Very rhythmic with some cool bass trombone. Well done. When this cleans it will really grab you musically. 
  • I like the uniforms
  • They have some trumpet soloists with some serious chops and they just need to clean and refine how they approach the solos.
  • In terms of visual design they are using a lot of the field and I think as they clean they can modify the forms to be more open and less cluttered. 

As is always the case with early-season shows we often watch a very dirty and unfinished show and try to project where it will go. Difficult to do. We also compare what we see to previous years shows or to some of the top contenders which is a bit unfair. I think Madison will be fine this year and once things begin to clean they should be very entertaining. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

How is the closer on the field normal? In the past we would have had several shows already done and only BK really performed opening weekend without a closer on the field. 

IDK why shows are not complete by this point.   10 minute show w/ 30 days of spring training means on average a Corps should learn 20 seconds of show per day.  I would hope that units good enough for Marching Music’s Major League could manage that.  But I guess I hope wrong.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK why shows are not complete by this point.   10 minute show w/ 30 days of spring training means on average a Corps should learn 20 seconds of show per day.  I would hope that units good enough for Marching Music’s Major League could manage that.  But I guess I hope wrong.  

And I saw a lot of groups learning drill at the last camp too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In a perfect world sure. Until the weather doesn’t cooperate and you have no indoor facility to learn drill so you’re forced to work on music only or choreography. Well you learned the choreography, might as well add it in the next time you get outside.

Oh then, you realize this part doesn’t work visually. Needs a rewrite gotta relearn. 

These kids learn at a different pace than last year. These kids learn faster than last year. These kids learn slower than last year. These kids need a different demonstration than what we are used to. These staff members are new. These techs are new. Etc etc etc. 

So many things happen that would prevent a corps from getting it all out there. 

• Like 2

Scouts moved in a bit later (entering week 4 now) vs some going into week 6 already. Factor in the typical weather delays and the Canadian wildfires and I’d say it’s pretty impressive that they got a few full runthroughs in over the weekend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rudy18 said:

Scouts moved in a bit later (entering week 4 now) vs some going into week 6 already. Factor in the typical weather delays and the Canadian wildfires and I’d say it’s pretty impressive that they got a few full runthroughs in over the weekend.

Champions don’t make excuses. 

• Like 2