Madison Scouts 2023

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

Madison is looking at finishing 17th or 18th out of the World Class Corps. If SCV was on the field that would push Madison as low as 19th. If SCVC was on the field, Madison could have finished 20th or worse. I feel like I was sold out by the guys in charge. It wouldn't be so bad if the move had made a positive difference, but this is just embarrassing. 
Boston's vs Madison's. 

So... because they may finish 17th, they should rebrand the organization and give up their World Class membership?  

Gotta be honest, I think I've read every single post of every single annual Madison thread, and the drumbeat that never ends is, Madison is bad, the board should be fired, the corps should be dissolved, rebranded and the earth sown with salt, because...

1) They don't make Finals anymore;

2) They fired Jim Mason, that made them not make Finals anymore; and

3) They made it harder to become a member so people mad at 1 and 2 can't easily vote the board out, and those alumni now have a strained relationship with the organization.

That's about it.  Even the admission of women came and went with relatively minor waves.

Now, #3 there actually *is* something a little eyebrow raising from an organization perspective.  However, many other corps had much higher barriers for participation; Madison was kind of an outlier in that regard.  

They actually seem like a fairly well run corps off the field.  Is it really just about the on-field product?

Mike

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

You might not be seeking attention, but to think current members won't see this thread is naive. You understand this organization's current state way more than I do, but as a fan of the Scouts from the 80s and 90s, I've been disappointed with their direction as well. But I would never publicly use words like "pathetic" when describing a corps that I'm sure many of their current members and staff, if not all, still feel privileged to be a part of and are still giving their all this season. Posts like yours would make them feel like garbage.

Not sure when you marched but no way your corps was ever exposed to what these kids are nowadays with social media and forums like DCP. I am not saying how you feel is wrong, but I'm asking you to turn it down a notch out of respect for the current members and staff who are still giving it their all this season.

The anger and frustration has blinded some Madison alum. They've lost sight of what this activity is about: the members. Who they gleefully cheer to fail out of a vendetta against the leadership. If there's anything that's pathetic in here, it's that. 

Is there any way to get the alumni back to supporting the corps?  It appears that comments on DCP are taking the Scouts even further down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Not sure when you marched but no way your corps was ever exposed to what these kids are nowadays with social media and forums like DCP. 

Yes, times change. Do they have A/C on their buses? Do they ever have to push a bus that won't start or that is broken down? Do they get ONLY the number of hours of sleep that you get on the bus between shows? Are they eating food that is a step, albeit an important step, above minimal nutrition?

If their feelings are hurt by reading comments made on public forums, this must be their first foray into reading things posted on the internet. It's been my experience that, just like in real life, you get more voices to talk about things that need to be fixed than you do about things that are running smoothly.

Man Bites Dog stories get the clicks, not the opposite.

Personally I enjoy their show. The kids are working extremely hard. The visual program is likely what really hurts the scores, but that's just an on-field issue. I assume the members are loving tour, eating well, making friends, and working hard to perform their show for fans everytime they are on the field. The music is pertty good and brass and drums have some excellent talent. Guard has improved a lot. The visual program is what is hurting them, and perhaps the concept of the show to some extent. 

The big thing for Madison is to 1) make sure the corps is operated and funded well, 2) retain the talent you have this year, and 3) perhaps look for a simple concept that can be driven by music for next year's show. As a brass player I think the brass staff and writing is really good. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gantang said:

Yes, times change. Do they have A/C on their buses? Do they ever have to push a bus that won't start or that is broken down? Do they get ONLY the number of hours of sleep that you get on the bus between shows? Are they eating food that is a step, albeit an important step, above minimal nutrition?

If their feelings are hurt by reading comments made on public forums, this must be their first foray into reading things posted on the internet. It's been my experience that, just like in real life, you get more voices to talk about things that need to be fixed than you do about things that are running smoothly.

Thanks for responding to a tiny snippet of my comment and missing the point on the rest.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Thanks for responding to a tiny snippet of my comment and missing the point on the rest. 

I didn't miss the point. I merely pointed out that every ear has its own struggles. I also responded to their reading of comments and being butt hurt. Did you miss that part?

15 minutes ago, Gantang said:

And how's that working for you? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dcikon2 said:

Is there any way to get the alumni back to supporting the corps?  It appears that comments on DCP are taking the Scouts even further down.

Plenty of alumni support the corps. The few posters here should not be construed as representing “the alumni”. 

• Like 4