Bluecoats 2023

32 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The ballad in general is divine. Don’t hurt me too much but it reminds so much of the style of ballads that BD has been doing since 2017. Soloists kicking the melody off, lush front ensemble features helping things build up, a moment of silence, and then a commanding final statement by the hornline in one big block with body movement. All while letting the musical piece grow and breathe throughout 

There are lots of similarities between BD and Coats these days.  I think they’re actually learning from each other.  They are definitely pushing each other.  And they respect each other.  Very cool to see!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The ballad in general is divine. Don’t hurt me too much but it reminds so much of the style of ballads that BD has been doing since 2017. Soloists kicking the melody off, lush front ensemble features helping things build up, a moment of silence, and then a commanding final statement by the hornline in one big block with body movement. All while letting the musical piece grow and breathe throughout 

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

There are lots of similarities between BD and Coats these days.  I think they’re actually learning from each other.  They are definitely pushing each other.  And they respect each other.  Very cool to see!

I couldn't agree more! There's a reason BD and Bloo are my 2 favorite corps these days!

• Like 1

Just saw a run through online.  It looks more aggressive in multiple captions than what they usually do, while not sacrificing the happy Bloo vibe, and I can't ask for more than that.  We'll see how it all stacks up, but I am fairly pleased with what seems to be (early on) a greater focus on a more classic visual design and technical playing than what they typically field.

It's a good thing too... because... Boston Crusaders and Blue Devils.  Shows just have to be tougher these days!

Hopefully their advances in drums and their strength in GE holds up.  Brass and marching visual sounds/looks more technically competitive, and that's saying a lot, given how good they have been for quite some time.

2 thumbs up, Bloo!

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Philosophical question: At what point does it stop being cutting-edge innovation & just become Bluecoats doing more weird, over-the-top stuff?

I don’t find this show weird though. The theme is weird I guess? But the narration and even the solos seem like a parallel to BD.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:51 PM, NewArpege said:

They’ve had some decent shows for the past decade.  I’ve enjoyed many of their shows, but I’ve only been ‘blown away’ by maybe 1.  Many def have a cool factor though, but the show designs of BC and BD now feel a bit like Cavaliers in 2000s where it started to feel one note.

Regardless, this early season secrecy is obnoxious.  They are taking themselves too seriously which isn’t cool. 

Eh that’s your opinion, which is fine. Show reveals are fun, and they create anticipation for the home show reveal. 

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

If you put BD uniforms on BCoats, I might swear it’s Blue Devils.

I think they’re more than distinct enough between each other to where I don’t see that personally, there’s plenty of “Bloo-isms” in this show to me at least.

I’ll expand on this some too, the pit writing, the influx of more retro, techno sounding electronics along with the hornline, the hornline itself and their performance is quite distinct from anything I’ve heard BD do, the rep that each corps decide to do. If we wanna talk about thematic or structural similarities to their shows, I also don’t think they’re that close to 1:1 to each other either, but that’s just my opinion.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

the more i watch bloos show the more i fall in love. i just can't get over the writing, its so nice. i see a lot of people comparing this years bluecoats to the blue devils, which is i think is honestly a pretty good thing. blue devils are known for being so clean and well done that its mind blowing. i think what sets bluecoats and blue devils apart as of late for me is show theme though. bd like their artsy type shows and bloo like their shows to be full of story and message. one works better for me than the other. and as an aside i personally feel bluecoats are much more tasteful when it comes to things like narration and body choreo than blue devils, but that is entirely personal. 

• Like 4