The Cadets 2023

I really want to like this show, but half of it feels like an extended percussion feature. Until the end, every brass “moment” just seems like an interlude breaking up the percussion. I’m sure they’re playing as much as the rest of the top 12, but the pacing just feels totally off. Cadets (like Crown) are usually very good at doing clearly delineated “pieces” of music that the audience claps after, but this year seems like a step backward there. Maybe it’ll grow on me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really want to like this show, but half of it feels like an extended percussion feature. Until the end, every brass “moment” just seems like an interlude breaking up the percussion. I’m sure they’re playing as much as the rest of the top 12, but the pacing just feels totally off. Cadets (like Crown) are usually very good at doing clearly delineated “pieces” of music that the audience claps after, but this year seems like a step backward there. Maybe it’ll grow on me

THIS!! (all capitals)

Edited by The Passionate Fan
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

I really want to like this show, but half of it feels like an extended percussion feature. Until the end, every brass “moment” just seems like an interlude breaking up the percussion. I’m sure they’re playing as much as the rest of the top 12, but the pacing just feels totally off. Cadets (like Crown) are usually very good at doing clearly delineated “pieces” of music that the audience claps after, but this year seems like a step backward there. Maybe it’ll grow on me. 

THIS!!!!

sorry for the double entry, new guy here!

Edited by The Passionate Fan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Passionate Fan said:

I really want to like this show, but half of it feels like an extended percussion feature. Until the end, every brass “moment” just seems like an interlude breaking up the percussion. I’m sure they’re playing as much as the rest of the top 12, but the pacing just feels totally off. Cadets (like Crown) are usually very good at doing clearly delineated “pieces” of music that the audience claps after, but this year seems like a step backward there. Maybe it’ll grow on me

THIS!! (all capitals)

Is it not supposed to be that way?  :spitting:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, The Passionate Fan said:

THIS!! (all capitals)

I hate it, but at this point I can't disagree.  Great rep for the show.  The uniforms do not totally bug me.  But, the pacing of the show does not jive with me, and both the props and the usage of them just feels way too condensed and muddled visually.  The guard performing on top of the platforms has them consistently hitting the poles, and usage of the field just isn't happening right now.  Without some changes, this design is not a step up from the great strides they made in 2022.  With that said, they have the talent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I absolutely love the pacing of this Cadets show. It is unique and the music is wonderful. The uniforms do not bother me at all. I think it fits the theme. The closer of this show is going to be outstanding when cleaned. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've always liked The Cadets.  85, 89, 92, and 94 are some of my favorite shows of all time. 

However, the uniforms this year coupled with the points made above about how the show doesn't flow (and dominated by percussion), makes for a version of Cadets that I cannot get behind. 

Atlas Rising? More like Atlas Shrugged. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'm looking forward to seeing The Cadets tomorrow after a week's worth of woodshedding.  I love this year's production and am very appreciative and proud of the members and staff for the hard work they continue to put forth.  It's easy to come onto a public forum and drop clown comments.  Just keep pushing Cadets, keep rising.  

Edited by DAYGO
  • Like 7

After a week off, I would have expected a higher score...The music part is fine, but after seeing what the other corps are doing with uniforms and props, I get the impression that the Cadets are financially incapable of competing with the top tier corps; No shade on the Cadets because either you have the resources or you don't...So, if DCI is rewarding corps for these expenditures, the Cadets may fall to 8th or 9th by finals..Musically,the Cadets have the most entertaining show imo, but it gets lost in the movement of props that look like they were made yesterday and poorly at that..This from a Cadet supporter of 43 years...peace

• Like 3