Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That old baseball field that had me all discombobulated.  I saw Royer giving the corps what for after the show one year and I said to myself that I’ll just stay here in the bottom tier. 😂 

I saw you march there in 78.  And I recall seeing Guardsmen staying at what had been my elementary school in MC (had moved back to Chicago area several years prior).

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Like 1

Santa Clara's demise IMO is huge. This was a once the backbone of drumcorp. I have no idea who's to blame or it's all fuel issues but it's a big deal. Now is the time for DCI to find out why SCV is now inactive for and can they survive. 

Edited by DFA1970

15 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

That's an incredibly pessimistic and shallow view...

but its the current state of the top 12, the top 15, and certainly the top 6.  trying to be at the top is the arms race.  however they do that, is up to them.  however they disguise it with a mission statement they loosely follow is up to them. 

Open Class is the service part of DCI.  heck, some students who go there can't play an instrument to begin with.  They can't spin, or dance, or drum, or synth, or whatever.  But they're taken in, and educated.   When is the last time a student who couldn't play an instrument found their way into a top 15 corps?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

but its the current state of the top 12, the top 15, and certainly the top 6.  trying to be at the top is the arms race.  however they do that, is up to them.  however they disguise it with a mission statement they loosely follow is up to them. 

Open Class is the service part of DCI.  heck, some students who go there can't play an instrument to begin with.  They can't spin, or dance, or drum, or synth, or whatever.  But they're taken in, and educated.   When is the last time a student who couldn't play an instrument found their way into a top 15 corps?

You're equating "education" with only teaching basic skills. If that was the case then anything after a bachelors degree would no longer be considered "education." You're changing the narrative and definition of the term to match your world view, which is frankly cynical and erroneous. There is still education and service happening in the top tier corps, but the skills learned are different, more specialized. Students at all levels are being serviced by those organizations. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wackywords said:

Comes off the back of major visual staff changes. wonder if there's any correlation to a bigger issue.

IIRC the current ED came from an open class Corps that went inactive shortly after she left.  And within recent memory there was another ED, well known within the activity, who left quickly under somewhat murky conditions & proceeded to fall off the planet so far as Drum Corps is concerned.  This suggests, to me at least, that there is a bigger issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

You're equating "education" with only teaching basic skills. If that was the case then anything after a bachelors degree would no longer be considered "education." You're changing the narrative and definition of the term to match your world view, which is frankly cynical and erroneous. There is still education and service happening in the top tier corps, but the skills learned are different, more specialized. Students at all levels are being serviced by those organizations. 

see again. I'm not changing the narrative.  only providing enlightenment into what actually goes on in the last decade of this activity at DCI's level. 

Casting performers versus auditioning students.  One you teach less skills and more show, the other you teach skills to perform a show.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

see again. I'm not changing the narrative.  only providing enlightenment into what actually goes on in the last decade of this activity at DCI's level. 

Casting performers versus auditioning students.  One you teach less skills and more show, the other you teach skills to perform a show.  

Again, you're equating "teaching different skills" with "not teaching skills." Just because they aren't teaching a beginning student how to march, doesn't mean they aren't educating. If you truly think these organizations are just teaching the show, and not spending countless hours drilling down specific technique so that everyone is achieving in the same way, then you've completely lost touch with the activity.  

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Again, you're equating "teaching different skills" with "not teaching skills." Just because they aren't teaching a beginning student how to march, doesn't mean they aren't educating. If you truly think these organizations are just teaching the show, and not spending countless hours drilling down specific technique so that everyone is achieving in the same way, then you've completely lost touch with the activity.  

ive been in this activity since 1996. took some time off to get my BFA, and MFA.  and then got back into it.  I tried to leave, and again, was brought back into it.  Maybe this next retirement will be for good. 

So lost touch, no.  Seen the good, the bad, and what truly goes on behind doors... yes. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1