Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I see this Rennick bashing, but is it him? How many in here bashed Cadets for eons for always having to have cadets connections? Local? Where’s Boston have camp? Madison? Blue Stars?

One can support, or not, the Rennick way of running the perc program at SCV, but I'm having a difficult time grasping how the perc program has enough mass to singlehandedly drive the VMAPA bottom line into the red.

It's not as if SCV was filling its line with kids from Modesto before the Rennicks came along.

And financially, it doesn't matter. Tuition money from New Jersey is just as green as tuition money from San Jose.

The perc section typically is the smallest of the 3. All this focus on the Rennicks' influence on the overall financial health of the organization feels like an attempt to see the tail wagging the dog.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

😑That's not okay.

you are correct.  i'm certain it made became a source of frustration for the kid. (kid being college age trumpet player) and i think it soured them on the activity as a whole.  Because it wasn't about functionality, or health, it was superficial.   Which is really hard to see mission statements about inclusion, and the process was not. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

😞 In the interest of sharing and transparency...

I know nothing other than what they're saying below and that minimally it indicates a loss of trust.

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/zl37x8/elephant_in_the_room/

If you're a student, and you didn't get a refund.  I'd suggest getting a family lawyer to send a nicely, but sternly worded letter. 

I have many, many friends that have marched percussion for SCV from the late 80's thru the early 2000's. Lots of people from the South-Alabama, Tennessee, a lot from Texas. Paul and Sandy have done nothing but put Jonz back where they should be. Back where Fred, Ralph, Scott, Jim-n-Murray had them for each of their respective tenures.

People can bash the Rennicks and complain all they want, but you can't connect the dots from "the Rennicks are from Denton" all the way to "SCV takes a year off."  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

VMAPA ran this organization into the ground. It's criminal. Fire the Rennicks, and anyone who has had anything to do with the operations of this program over the last ten years. The organization I knew and loved has sold it soul for a few drum trophies and medals, and it's absolutely pathetic. 

Do you think M. Gaines is at fault here also?

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Millions and millions.  Where is this money coming from? I’ve donated thousands and I don’t anymore.  I can get taken for granted for free and squander my money myself.  

Just a few years ago, another corps, that I will leave nameless, sent out pleas for money and that they were in bad shape fiscally.......meanwhile, in that same time frame, they spent $80,000 on props which really didn't do much at all for the show.......ie money down the toilet......corners CAN be cut....left and right....and the activity can survive....but the current spend, spend, spend model is going to fail.  Some of these corps have boards with 12-20 people on them....they had better figure it out, and fast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Gotta look for something positive, though.  

Ok, I know it's a sad day, but...for a little levity...

1. Many corps now move up one spot in placement. 

2. A whole lotta DCPers need to go back to the 2023 Predictions thread and make some adjustments. 

I can't figure out why local talent versus talent that travels has anything to do with this issue. Kids pay their own fees and travel expenses to get there. In the band world, these are national touring groups who just happen to call a city a home base. The Cadets have moved a few times. The Crossmen have been labeled as everywhere from PA, to DE, to now TX.

20+ years ago there may have been more local members but kids want to be in the best and they find a way to do it. It doesn't matter if the SCV drumline comes from TX, CA, or Japan. None of this changes the fund raising issues that organizations have and none of it makes those members any more or less important than another. None of the top World Class corps are teaching members how to play their instruments. They are contracting people who are already extremely proficient with their skill sets. They all put the best possible people in their spots regardless of where they came from. Both BD and SCV stopped requiring members to move to CA in January over 20 years ago.

We live in a world today where kids are getting wonderful educations in a variety of locations. Many successful school music programs, WGI groups, etc. A corps financial issues have very little to none to do with where membership and staff come from.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1