Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

What I find ironic is that people think this is a zero sum game.  You know you CAN get additional sources of revenue AND cut your costs.  These aren't mutually exclusive.  Brining the costs down per member needs to be a mission and a goal.  You want to grow the activity you need to make it more available to talent that can't afford it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure that’s exactly what they think.  I’ve never seen a mea culpa from them about the cluster #### on finals night. 

Both DCI front office as well a DCI BoD are world-class at burying heads in sand and assuming that if they stay there long enough the problem will go away.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

What I find ironic is that people think this is a zero sum game.  You know you CAN get additional sources of revenue AND cut your costs.  These aren't mutually exclusive.  Brining the costs down per member needs to be a mission and a goal.  You want to grow the activity you need to make it more available to talent that can't afford it.

I whole heartedly agree than member dues need to be controlled, however the current cost barrier is not depressing audition turnout.  

18 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I whole heartedly agree than member dues need to be controlled, however the current cost barrier is not depressing audition turnout.  

If I had to make an educated guess this is not true.  It's drawing ONLY people that have the funds to do drum corps or risk the money on auditions on hope they get a spot.  I would bet the amount of talent that is not even showing up is a huge number.  Drum corps is pretty much an exclusive game for the rich and middle class anymore.  It's like the yuppies got ahold of something unique and cool and made it not as inclusive as it should be.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

your $750 member fees also took into account food wasn't as expensive as it is now, and lets be honest, most corps didn't east as well as they do now. you also got every housing site for free or pennies.

Maybe. I also think we ate pretty well in 1998. We also weren't traveling 5-6 hours by bus every night. The regional touring model made for shorter bus trips and less miles traveled. The activity itself hasn't actually done much of anything to adapt and cut or minimize costs over the years. Instead the big just keep pushing to get bigger.

• Like 3

There are fewer corps to audition for.  That can make it seem like  more kids auditioning.  Does anyone have the real statistics? 

Itemized profit and loss sheets would help.  Uniforms, electronics and other equipment. What is the real profit or loss on these?  Lawsuits and other legal matters? Salary distribution and any perks? What are the actual numbers?  You can say "something doesn't matter that much"  but when you are accounting and moving head you have to take everything in consideration.  Even a slow bleed can kill you in the end. 

Edited by bldbrkr

16 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

If I had to make an educated guess this is not true.  It's drawing ONLY people that have the funds to do drum corps or risk the money on auditions on hope they get a spot.  I would bet the amount of talent that is not even showing up is a huge number.  Drum corps is pretty much an exclusive game for the rich and middle class anymore.  It's like the yuppies got ahold of something unique and cool and made it not as inclusive as it should be.

What I am trying to say is that the 3500 or so WC spots are going to be filled at the current dues level. Could there be more demand than spots if due were significantly lowered? Maybe, and I do think we need lower dues, its just that the market is currently sustaining the current dues levels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Off topic but what’s up with those numbers from Golden Empire in Open Class?

Yeah really 

58 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Agree. Especially for food there’s gotta be some bulk deals out there 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Both DCI front office as well a DCI BoD are world-class at burying heads in sand and assuming that if they stay there long enough the problem will go away.   

See 2018

• Like 1