Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

Unless you know, you don’t know, and precious few of the contributors to this thread don’t know because they didn’t wear the uniform, and didn’t or don’t live in the Bay Area. 

I’ve been close to the corps, organization, and leadership for many years, and have tried to come up with solutions to the financial challenges for those many years. There’s no doubt the organization has made mistakes (name one that hasn’t), but the fact is that operating a 501(c)(3) in the Bay Area is almost impossible. It’s incredibly frustrating that despite being the primary economic engine and generator of wealth in a state which is the world’s 5th largest economy, the population here cares very little about the arts. We have no commercial jazz radio, classical went down dial a decade ago, a dwindling interest in the San Jose Symphony Orchestra (I attended the Opening Gala a few months ago…the house was 60% full at best) and the majority of residents here don’t even know what the Santa Clara Vanguard is. Any number of even the small cap companies here could donate money to VMAPA that would constitute a rounding error, but that would not solve the problem and just upset the rest of DCI.

Ultimately there are many reasons why there will be no 2023 Vanguard, but ultimately the blame for that fact rests squarely on the leadership. That’s the crappy part of being a leader; in the end, you must bear the criticism and blame, even if it’s not a direct result of your action or inaction.

There are no easy answers to the manifold challenges that VMAPA as well as the activity en mass face, but it’s very clear some significant changes must be made if it’s to be saved. 

On a personal note, and this will “out” me to some of you, I am an alumnus who has been rather close to the organization for the past 10 or 12 years, and have submitted my resume for candidacy for several top leadership roles, especially in the BB era. My cover letters called out what I identified as existential threats, not just to the Vanguard, but to the activity itself. My suggestions involved several controversial remedies, including mergers, and even more inflammatory branded corporate sponsorship, even commercials on uniforms and in shows. Bingo has been dying for years (does anyone have demographics for the souls in Bingo halls here in the Bay Area?) and it alone will not sustain us. I know, I know….but would you rather have no drum corps at all?

OG84

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Plenty of great insight from people who have never been a part of SCV or live in the Bay Area, actually.  And they didn't need to use 3082304802340-size font to get their points across, lol.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh my god. I just woke up to finding out about this via a YouTube video. I can't believe that this happened. I'm definitely sad, but I know it doesn't affect me as much as it affects those who actually marched and worked with Vanguard. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

If I had to make an educated guess this is not true.  It's drawing ONLY people that have the funds to do drum corps or risk the money on auditions on hope they get a spot.  I would bet the amount of talent that is not even showing up is a huge number.  Drum corps is pretty much an exclusive game for the rich and middle class anymore.  It's like the yuppies got ahold of something unique and cool and made it not as inclusive as it should be.

Both my kids love music and are involved in band.  I couldn't afford to send either one to march one year even if they were  interested.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Terri, I recall reading that between 1982 (Montreal, 2nd yr in a row) to 1983 (Orange Bowl in Miami), lots of corps folded.

And, maybe someone can confirm, wasn't DCI planning to go back to Miami in '84 and Ga Tech was a last minute substitute venue?

Wasn't '83 the year the Knights were on a path to making Finals, some staff said the wrong thing in critique, then their scores tanked? If true, an organization with integrity would have told the judges knock it off, judge the show on the field or you'll be banned from setting foot in any DCI contest for the rest of your lives.

I think I heard that, too.  I also remember it was supposed to be in Spartyland one year but something happened.  I had the best seats in Atlanta.  What a great night. 

16 hours ago, Dansize said:

I am saddened by the announcement. SCV was the first corps I really discovered when I saw the PBS broadcast version of finals in the 1987 season.  it made me a fan through today, which in turn helped make my kids fans as well. I hope for the best, but am also too pessimistic for my own tastes at this stage.

I am REALLY curious about the silence from across the bay though.  Within hours/days of the SCV announcement, many other corps made statements via their social media feeds concerning their feelings on the announcement and offers to help where they could. Those are the things we have come to expect and appreciate in the activity.  But I have not seen anything from the BD camp and can't help but be concerned for that silence.

Because remember, BD and SCV were joined at the hip for past (big) announcements.  When their open class corps chose to forego any season outside of CA in 2019, they announced it virtually together (same day).  When the world class groups chose to skip the non-competitive season in 2021, same thing. Generally the same explanation for both of them.  I have friends that speculated that when SCV announced that the Vanguard Cadets were shutting down for the current season that the only reason BD didn't do the same with BDB was due to the profound online reaction to the SCV announcement at the time, and they chose instead to do the "stay-close-to-home" plan for BDB.

In no way would I expect that the blue team has the issues that SVC ran in to that caused this announcement. But a lot of us did not see this one coming either.  It's just a weird silence given their history of doing many things together in the past and the mutual respect they seem to have fostered over the last several years.

Many corps are choosing to reach out individually rather than rely on Facebook or other social media blasts.

I read this from another corps who chose to reach out individually to members. 

• Thanks 1