Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

19 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I see you prefer the status quo:

Your dues are $5000.00, oh and we are going to pay the people who stood next to you last year in the arc to run sectionals, and fly them in/out of tour in shifts at corps expense.

It’s not status quo for the sake of status quo. This could lead to some toxic inner workings within the performers. “ why is he in charge and not me?”

17 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

You are on a rampage these last few days. It's drumcorps....not life.

It’s both

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DudleytheWest said:

I'm not discounting their experience, but bashing them on a thread where people have come to mourn their demise is not the place. 

Wasn't aware it was official.  Until then, nobody needs to reach for a hammer and nails.

Now, the chance of France winning the WC is very slim.

Edited by TOC

Mod hat here...

Please refrain from making personal attacks on other posters. If you believe that a post is outside the guidelines, please report it. Mods are not on here full-time, so the assistance of others is greatly appreciated. 

i have removed a few recent posts that crossed the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s not status quo for the sake of status quo. This could lead to some toxic inner workings within the performers. “ why is he in charge and not me?”

BITD we had Horn Sergeant , Drum Sergeant, and Color Guard Captain. These were leadership positions within the Corps typically held by the most experienced members.   They could always find something (plenty of things in our case) to work on if there wasn’t an instructor around.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD we had Horn Sergeant , Drum Sergeant, and Color Guard Captain. These were leadership positions within the Corps typically held by the most experienced members.   They could always find something (plenty of things in our case) to work on if there wasn’t an instructor around.  

And these positions were respected. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Well injuries are part of many physical endeavors, sports, dance ' skaters, hell im sure competitive chess players have back to hand and wrist issues. What's important is if injuries are expected in an activity one has to be prepared and limit as much as possible. Most of all take care of the situation. 

Even ask the marchers of the early days of drum corps how their knees are whom that high leg lift pounding into the ground, YIKES! The good ole days, as good as they were are tainted with very questionable things but of course we should have learned better by now, and of course some haven't as well as some newer staff maybe never learned. It all goes back to LEADERSHIP at the top.

Concerning injuries- I follow college football (Geaux Tigers); players are same age as members of DCI Corps.  Watch what happens when a player thinks that they may be injured- play or practice stop.  Dead stop.  The players know that when something pops or twists or whatever, everything stops.  Medical/training staff come to the player & get them safely off the field for evaluation, and then game or practice resumes.  I know Corps generally don’t have the same injuries (or size of medical staff) as football teams.  But adapting the mindset of stopping  when injured before you make it worse deserves some consideration.  

• Like 1