Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Compared to loading the equipment truck (sorry, trucks), or field lining crew, is that really asking too much for an aspiring music educator?  They could actually get a tiny slice of relevant experience at the craft.

How much does it help to put “I helped with sectionals with a drum and bugle corps” in a music educator resume? 
Irony is I rode and loaded the drum truck of our corps BITD. I lived close to the quartermaster and helping was cheaper than gas money

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How much does it help to put “I helped with sectionals with a drum and bugle corps” in a music educator resume? 

I was only thinking about how the experience helps build skills, and might have educational value.  But come to think of it, with thousands of high schools fielding competitive marching bands, having drum corps experience on your resume might matter.  Being in a position of student leadership in that corps might matter more.

25 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

Your dues are 5000.00, oh and we are going to let the person standing next to you in the arc run sectionals.

I see you prefer the status quo:

Your dues are $5000.00, oh and we are going to pay the people who stood next to you last year in the arc to run sectionals, and fly them in/out of tour in shifts at corps expense.

26 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Given the environment of abuse we've been eluding to, the industry is not equipped for this currently.

Maybe as a reward when they can get reports down to zero.

If hiring 83 staff for one corps is being done specifically, intentionally and (sigh) necessarily as an abuse prevention measure, then every corps should hire 83 staff.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And if the full guard section has no equivalent is it fair to offer it to others?

As I admitted defeat on this idea in my previous post, this point seems moot now.  But what is happening with two corps named Vanguard right now is not what I would call "fair" either.  I just hope there are some cost-cutting ideas somewhere that can help SCV or other corps cope with the circumstances they are being dealt these days.

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks for jumping in the ring with us though. I know I'm being cranky and now see your point better, thank you.

I think the component we're missing is organizational strategizing... and we don't have all the necessary info to help with that.

You are on a rampage these last few days. It's drumcorps....not life.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I can't think of a single corps that ran a fleet that large in the 90s. Maybe I led a sheltered life.

That is exactly that Magic had in 02. I know because I drove one of the vehicles 

30 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

You are on a rampage these last few days. It's drumcorps....not life.

You don't seem to understand the effects misconduct can have on person's life. While my letter may not have been clear enough, perhaps go back and read the disclosure by Diamante alum for a detailed refresher. These are life altering, long lasting effects... now documented by more than just me.

I still have nightmares about my experiences and they got worse the day before this news broke. My body still aches daily from the injuries. I tried to ignore it for nearly twenty years.

Not to mention the guilt I feel for drilling all this into the community during Vanguard's last season before a hiatus, when they were the most vulnerable. I didn't know, not really.

Most other people here seem to get why I'm rampaging. It's better than blaming other alum or the org and calling for pitchforks.