Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

29 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

If it weren't complicated, the issues people in this thread seemed to identify decades ago wouldn't still be haunting us. Straightforward problems have straightforward solutions... so if that's what we have, why are there still problems? Riddle me that.

I'm glad it seems so straightforward to outsiders though, I guess. Wish y'all could just hop in the fray and getterdone...

It is actually alternating layers of simple and complicated - similar to a Mandelbrot set.  Simple- need to cut costs; Complicated- what do we cut; Simple- we cut this; Complicated- by cutting this we also lose this revenue stream… and so on.  

• Like 3

On 1/10/2023 at 3:18 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

Not a financial expert by a long shot here but...

Their 2021 filings are available on their website. According to that, the amount they took out in PPP loans is roughly equivalent to the combined executive and programmatic payroll expenses. At least as far as my eyes can tell. Isn't that what the loans are for?

And assuming, as they did, that bingo would bounce back, wouldn't they consider it worth the financial risk to make sure both corps march DCI's 50th anniversary in 2022? Lots of intrinsic and blatant pressure for the old dogs to be there, no doubt.

And I'm not defending the assumptions about bingo bouncing back, simply trying to understand all sides.

PPP forgiveness requires at least 60% of the money used on payroll. That’s interesting. 

On 1/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

This has nothing to do with my age or any presumed naivete associated with it. I'm well aware of my corps history and witnessed enough instances of the complaints levied in this thread firsthand. Expressing frustrations from the outside can definitely be helpful, but only to a point when you literally can't know all the components.

Isn't it possible that I became a dance educator and arts admin because I experienced these issues firsthand as a young person and wanted to make sure I could be part of the solution?

I did not intend to offend you.  I am wholeheartedly sorry if I did that.  What I am trying to convey is that this issue of trying to manage a non-profit drum corps and achieve a balance between maximizing 1) the competitive ability 2) the MM's experience 3) the sustainability of success and 4) the sustainability of the organization has been going on for decades, and there have been close to 100 failures for every success.  DCI once had over 200 members competing during a single year.  Now they're down to less than 35, and that number seems to gets smaller every year.  Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and to some degree Blue Stars have managed to accomplish all 4 fairly well, and now we can add Boston to that list.  (Maybe everyone should change their name to start with a B????)  DCI is a copycat world, except where it comes to financial management, which is the first place that success should be copied around.

We're all just incredibly frustrated that we see what's been coming, have been sounding the alarm on finances and abuse for years and years, and yet the people who can actually DO SOMETHING have their heads stuck in the sand and refuse to change.  I applaud you for choosing to get involved and try to help, but I imagine it's only frustrated and traumatized you even more to see how little has changed in 50 years.

SCV is kind of like everyone's favorite grandpa, except he's losing his home because he just kept trying to make a fortune selling Amway, even when everyone told him it wouldn't work.

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz
not at finals, just performed during the season
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

SCV is kind of like everyone's favorite grandpa, except he's losing his home because he just kept trying to make a fortune selling Amway, even when everyone told him it wouldn't work.

I am a lifelong SCV fan and can't wait to see them on the field again. But the above is certainly a quotable quote.

Edited by stansea
deleted bold
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Hey, let's get together sometime. I've got something to show you that you'll really like :)

15 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

That was the genius of Bill Cook's plan to fund Star.  Use the buses and trucks for 3 months and then have someone else pay for them the other 9 months and fund the corps' operations.  It took a few years, but by the time they made a push for a title, they were self sustaining financially.

Not only that, they were more frugal than I think the average fan knew: used the same 2-valve horns their entire existence, and their "different uniforms every year," with some exceptions, were mostly just adding a bit of fabric here or there, changing gauntlets or shakos, etc.  They had resources and also spent wisely

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, perc2100 said:

Not only that, they were more frugal than I think the average fan knew: used the same 2-valve horns their entire existence, and their "different uniforms every year," with some exceptions, were mostly just adding a bit of fabric here or there, changing gauntlets or shakos, etc.  They had resources and also spent wisely

Bill would be doing what everyone else is doing in this era of using the horns, props, and wardrobe as a fundraiser, getting it sponsored, and then selling it off.   Those things are a wash now.